Trump's Second Term

Ok, pick yourself off the floor. Get some smelling salts or slap yourself in the face.  I know that thread title gave some a near heart attack. 

I  wanted to piggy back on this very interesting article linked below.  The writer gives his opinion on what a 2nd Trump term would look like.

Assumption of the writer is that Warren picks up the popular vote but loses to Trump in the Electoral College.    So what do you think

a 2nd term would look like?

Me:  On the negative side:  I think it gets crazier than what we are seeing now.  I think it will be full of revenge seeking (as the writer also notes) and that we will

be in danger of loosing all credibility abroad and many freedoms domestically.  Trump's mental issues will only get worse and his enablers

will hide his amendment 25 worthy issues from the general public in ways that FDR was shielded from being seen in public in his wheel chair

or as Wilson's deeply fading health was kept private by his doctor and wife.  I anticipate Trump would pardon all of his fellow conspirators and

pursue all of his enemies.  Most of all, I fear that public discourse will be greatly damaged and division will be ingrained into our society in a way

we haven't seen since perhaps the Civil War.  

Trump spends most of his time golfing, leaving real governance to Jared and Ivanka.

On the positive side: Dems in congress realize their best chance for success in the future is to work wt the president.  There is no way to go back to the 

era of impeachment now - it will just look like sour grapes (unless they have something very solid to work with).  So on some select issues they hold their

nose & work with the president and get some positive things done.   Trump's challenge is to keeping the 8 GOP senators, 5 GOP representatives, and 3
governors running for the WH in 2024, in line and supporting his agenda. 

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2019/10/21/what-if-trump-wins-2020-229835

17 minutes ago, TGHusker said:

On the positive side: Dems in congress realize their best chance for success in the future is to work wt the president.  There is no way to go back to the 

era of impeachment now - it will just look like sour grapes (unless they have something very solid to work with).

You mean like Trump admitting that he did the thing that should get him removed from office on the White House lawn?

I mean... we have that right now.

What we don't have is enough votes in congress to do what has to be done under the constitution, because Republicans are more interested in power than in America.

This literally has NOTHING to do with the Democrats. Nothing at all. Trump gets a second term if Moscow Mitch & his Republican buddies don't follow the constitution, and if enough conservatives look the other way and vote for Trump again, and/or if Putin can successfully hack enough machines to tip the scales in Trump's favor on election night.

The Democrats have nothing to do with Trump getting reelected.  Abrogation of duty by Republicans has everything to do with it.

• Plus1 3
  • Haha 1
12 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

I'd be interested to see how Trumps 2nd term would end. Would he leave the WH willfully? 

This would be the more interesting/scary thing. He has already irreparably dismantled the powers that are supposed to be separated and how far gone would they be after 8 years. He has dictatorial tendencies and I would doubt he will go quietly into the night. Honestly, will he leave if he is voted out in 2020?

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

There is no positive side if Trump should somehow successfully slither into a 2nd term. It would only be further proof (like any is needed) of how effed our system is and the nail in the coffin for any hope our citizens wake up and effect much needed change. The negatives are more than plentiful.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

You mean like Trump admitting that he did the thing that should get him removed from office on the White House lawn?

I mean... we have that right now.

What we don't have is enough votes in congress to do what has to be done under the constitution, because Republicans are more interested in power than in America.

This literally has NOTHING to do with the Democrats. Nothing at all. Trump gets a second term if Moscow Mitch & his Republican buddies don't follow the constitution, and if enough conservatives look the other way and vote for Trump again, and/or if Putin can successfully hack enough machines to tip the scales in Trump's favor on election night.

The Democrats have nothing to do with Trump getting reelected.  Abrogation of duty by Republicans has everything to do with it.

Knapp I agree wt you 100%.  Please don't take my statement any other way.  They do have the solid info on Trump now but because of GOP  COLLUSION it most likely won't happen  - the impeachment will but the conviction won't. 

1 hour ago, deedsker said:

This would be the more interesting/scary thing. He has already irreparably dismantled the powers that are supposed to be separated and how far gone would they be after 8 years. He has dictatorial tendencies and I would doubt he will go quietly into the night. Honestly, will he leave if he is voted out in 2020?

IF, Trump makes it 8 years, I think he tries to set Ivanka up to replace him.  First female president.

Regardless, I think he acts like a dictator in a 2nd term and makes the WH a family enterprise (thing mob)

1 hour ago, JJ Husker said:

There is no positive side if Trump should somehow successfully slither into a 2nd term. It would only be further proof (like any is needed) of how effed our system is and the nail in the coffin for any hope our citizens wake up and effect much needed change. The negatives are more than plentiful.

slither is the right word

26 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I was telling my wife the other day that, if he does get reelected, I can see him changing his affiliation to the Democratic party just because that's something he would do. It would create quite the stir if he pulled something like that.

My god that would be amazing!  So many posters would implode! 

• Plus1 1