Trump's Second Term

1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Wow, this page is an amazing glimpse into how some people perceive politics.  :blink:

If this is in reference to me, it's not how I perceive things it's how politicians are. My comment started with stating that I think it would be funny if Trump changed his affiliation to Democrat and that seemed to hit a nerve with some people. I just said that it seems like something he would do.

18 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

If this is in reference to me, it's not how I perceive things it's how politicians are. My comment started with stating that I think it would be funny if Trump changed his affiliation to Democrat and that seemed to hit a nerve with some people. I just said that it seems like something he would do.

Just because he would do it does not mean democrats would welcome him with open arms. Your scenario is ridiculous and would end with Trump being swiftly removed from office as he continually has trampled on the constitution. He would do the dems no good politically, why would they embrace him? It didn't really hit a nerve, its just kind of dumb.

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Just because he would do it does not mean democrats would welcome him with open arms. Your scenario is ridiculous and would end with Trump being swiftly removed from office as he continually has trampled on the constitution. He would do the dems no good politically, why would they embrace him? It didn't really hit a nerve, its just kind of dumb.

I thought that was the point of this whole thread. Hypothetical of what it would look like if Trump won a second term. It's not dumb at all. It would be perfectly in line with something Trump would do. It would hit a nerve with the Dems and get a rise out of them just like Trump would like. Do you think he really cares about doing himself good politically? 

• Plus1 1
Just now, SandhillshuskerW said:

I thought that was the point of this whole thread. Hypothetical of what it would look like if Trump won a second term. It's not dumb at all. It would be perfectly in line with something Trump would do. It would hit a nerve with the Dems and get a rise out of them just like Trump would like. Do you think he really cares about doing himself good politically? 

It is dumb. The only people that support Trump do so because they think he is the savior of their conservative values. If he switches teams the only people supporting him will have the last name Trump. He would be swiftly impeached where he would no longer be protected from going to jail for tax fraud. So yea, its ridiculous to think Trump would switch sides and if he did so the democrats would accept him as one of their own and all would be hunky dory after some initial complaining. He would go down in flames immediately.

37 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

Just a bit you, but certainly not only you.

Politics is not a team sport, no matter how often Joe on the Street treats it as such. Trump switching parties isn't like being traded from the Cardinals to the Yankees, but the responses to this scenario seem like people think that's how it would work.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

The only people that support Trump do so because they think he is the savior of their conservative values.

And the people for whom the chaos of it all is the point. We have people like that here. They get a kick out of perceiving that others are offended. It's like sport to them.

Just now, knapplc said:

Just a bit you, but certainly not only you.

Politics is not a team sport, no matter how often Joe on the Street treats it as such. Trump switching parties isn't like being traded from the Cardinals to the Yankees, but the responses to this scenario seem like people think that's how it would work.

I stated it once, but I'll say it again, I thought this thread was all about hypothetical. I seem to have struck a nerve with my hypothetical situation. I'm not talking about you on that one. I know that politics isn't a team sport, but Trump doesn't follow rules. He seems to do whatever he wants to, so it would be in his wheelhouse to pull that stunt.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, knapplc said:

Wow, this page is an amazing glimpse into how some people perceive politics.  :blink:

Yep, just now getting back on here.  Boy this started to go a direction I didn't expect. :flush

Trump owns the GOP - no need for him to switch -  no need to discuss the silliness of that idea.

8 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

I stated it once, but I'll say it again, I thought this thread was all about hypothetical. I seem to have struck a nerve with my hypothetical situation. I'm not talking about you on that one. I know that politics isn't a team sport, but Trump doesn't follow rules. He seems to do whatever he wants to, so it would be in his wheelhouse to pull that stunt.

If your hypothetical is stupid people are free to call it as such.

1 minute ago, Nebfanatic said:

Hypothetically Trump could abolish the other branches and merge the US government with the Trump Organization. Then every citizen would be a part of the Trump team.

He doesn't have the authority to do that, but he does have the authority to change an R to a D. Sorry, couldn't resist. Last time I will comment on this.

• Plus1 1

As Knapp noted above politics should not be a team sport.  Perhaps some years ago when the parties were closer together  -both in attitude or temperament and political philosophy - basically center left to center right, it may not have mattered as much but not any longer.  The stakes are way to high now.  The extreme positions have really taken over the GOP.  Yes, we have more progressive, left leaning candidates on the Dem side. However, that isn't an even comparison.  At this point, I am much more concerned about the alt right that has taken over the GOP than the left of center candidates running for President.  As a center right guy (typically) I am much more concern about another 4 years of Trump than the next 4 years with Liz Warren for example as president.  Warren, Biden and several of the others will have the maturity and common sense to do what is right for the whole country.    I also recognize that it is good for our type of govt for new idea to shape our future for our good.  If the GOP has none, then it is time to test the Dem ideas.  I should not limit myself by my comfort zone of being center right - I don't grow if I'm not open to what others have to say who might be center left and at least learn what they have to offer.  There may be a useful nugget that can be found.

5 minutes ago, SandhillshuskerW said:

He doesn't have the authority to do that, but he does have the authority to change an R to a D. Sorry, couldn't resist. Last time I will comment on this.

Hypothetically he could gain that authority though, if we are talking hypotheticals.