Is marijuana addictive?

Is marijuana addictive?  

21 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Not to say addiction to cannabis isn't a thing but I'd liken it more to an addiction to sex or gambling. The addiction is psychological not a physical dependance

All my sex partners get addicted to my physical dependence. Wink

Okay, then don't.

• Haha 2

I have a Masters in Counseling and have worked with a fairly wide range of addiction.

The Diagnostic Statistic Manual (big book used to diagnose people, and thus be able to charge services to an insurance company) has a Marijuana Use Disorder in it. Does it mean it’s addictive? Not necessarily. Does it mean it can negatively impact your life and create disfunction? Certainly.

Some people seem to think that because marijuana users don’t have the severe physical withdrawal symptoms like a heroin or alcohol addict, then it must not be addictive. The physical symptoms are much more mild, but still present. The psychological withdrawal varies from person to person. 

With any addiction it basically boils down to Control, Craving and Consequences. Some folks have a few other alliterative C words, but to me, those are the main ones. If you’re not in control of your use of something, if you crave something, and if you’ve suffered consequences because of continued use... you might be addicted. 

Personally, I couldn’t care less if folks think XYZ is addictive or not. My focus is on functionality. If doing/using XYZ is negatively impacting your life, then there’s your answer. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, knapplc said:

Just because something is lower on the scale of addiction than something else (booze vs. meth) doesn't mean it's not addictive to all people.

I'm not any kind of addiction expert, though, so I'd be happy to learn more about it if you have any suggestions.

• Haha 1

Since I have had at least 1 student at our HS in rehab for this I thought I would find some research.  I was a little puzzled that some thought it was not addictive.  I am not an expert, only know what I was told by the parents of a student in rehab.  This is the info I found.  There are many others with similar info.

https://www.verywellmind.com/is-marijuana-addictive-67792

https://www.drugabuse.gov/publications/research-reports/marijuana/marijuana-addictive

https://www.healthline.com/health-news/marijuana-addiction-rare-but-real-072014?scrlybrkr=4673dcb9

https://www.cdc.gov/marijuana/faqs/marijuana-addiction.html

• Plus1 3

Marijuana is not addictive.  People with addictive personalities are the ones who become stoners.  Same way people become addicted to beer or jogging etc.

This is beyond stupid to me honestly.  I don't smoke pot, I haven't even tried CBD for pain relief yet, but the benefits of marijuana/hemp/CBD are so blatantly obvious.  I can't believe the stigma of evil still lingers.  Here we are in 2019 in a PC culture, gay marriage is legal, people can identify as whatever they want....but Marijuana is still illegal in most states?  Makes absolutely no sense to me.  The revenue and taxes it would generate are clear, it's time we stop tiptoeing around it.  Most people smoke pot, people you don't think do....they do.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I didn't answer any of the poll questions.

#1- IDK if it's addictive or not but there are certainly people who use/abuse it and display every characteristic of addiction. I don't think it's a physical addiction but I'm no expert.

I don't like the premise of the other 2 questions. I don't think it matters if it's addictive or not as far as being allowed to play or not. It's pretty simple imo. If it's against team or NCAA  rules, then you get whatever few chances before getting booted. Legal, illegal, socially acceptable....none of that matters.

A bit off subject but as it relates to football, I think players should be allowed to use cannabis. Thinking more about the NFL here, but I'd much rather players use cannabis than opiods which many players are perscribed. Hearing about a guy like Calvin Johnson using it after every game for recovery I would think he is probably better off for it rather than taking pills.

6 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

A bit off subject but as it relates to football, I think players should be allowed to use cannabis. Thinking more about the NFL here, but I'd much rather players use cannabis than opiods which many players are perscribed. Hearing about a guy like Calvin Johnson using it after every game for recovery I would think he is probably better off for it rather than taking pills.

I've read studies on this very subject. There is no proof (yet) that it helps with performance or recovery. About the best a person can say is that it does help manage some pain and therefore it may be an ancillary aid to recovery.

I'm largely neutral on the whole subject. I think it should be legal. I use CBD oil to help manage a medical condition and mostly because I get much higher (no pun intended) quality sleep. Occasionally I will use edibles for the same reasons (I live in Colorado). I feel it is less damaging and better for a person than alcohol or opioids. But I don't think there is any evidence (yet) supporting use by players is beneficial or should be allowed. I think college players (and pro) use all these things as an excuse simply because they like getting high. I have yet to see in 56 years that regular or heavy use is a good thing for anyone (particularly young healthy athletes) except for certain people with chronic medical issues. 

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I've read studies on this very subject. There is no proof (yet) that it helps with performance or recovery. About the best a person can say is that it does help manage some pain and therefore it may be an ancillary aid to recovery.

I'm largely neutral on the whole subject. I think it should be legal. I use CBD oil to help manage a medical condition and mostly because I get much higher (no pun intended) quality sleep. Occasionally I will use edibles for the same reasons (I live in Colorado). I feel it is less damaging and better for a person than alcohol or opioids. But I don't think there is any evidence (yet) supporting use by players is beneficial or should be allowed. I think college players (and pro) use all these things as an excuse simply because they like getting high. I have yet to see in 56 years that regular or heavy use is a good thing for anyone (particularly young healthy athletes) except for certain people with chronic medical issues. 

If you feel like it is less damaging than opiods why don't you think it should be used as an alternative to opiods? Thats what I'm talking about.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

If you feel like it is less damaging than opiods why don't you think it should be used as an alternative to opiods? Thats what I'm talking about.

I do think it's a very viable option to opioids. I don't believe I indicated otherwise.

That is not the same as recovery....

5 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I do think it's a very viable option to opioids. I don't believe I indicated otherwise.

That is not the same as recovery....

I shouldn't have used that word but I'm pretty sure Johnson said essentially after every game he could get whatever pills he wanted from the Lions to manage pain but opted to use cannabis on his own instead. Personally I think he is probably better off for that decision rather than taking pills. He also talks about concussions which is another reason I believe the NFL should look into cannabis as it has been shown to be good for concussions.

Just now, Nebfanatic said:

I shouldn't have used that word but I'm pretty sure Johnson said essentially after every game he could get whatever pills he wanted from the Lions to manage pain but opted to use cannabis on his own instead. He alsontalks about concussions which is another reason I believe the NFL should look into cannabis as it has been shown to be good for concussions.

Yes, I agree it should be allowed, even encouraged, as an alternative to opioids. And they really need to do more extensive studies on the benefits and dangers of use. Most of the studies are still shrouded with the 50's and 60's evil weed mentality.

• Plus1 1
7 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yes, I agree it should be allowed, even encouraged, as an alternative to opioids. And they really need to do more extensive studies on the benefits and dangers of use. Most of the studies are still shrouded with the 50's and 60's evil weed mentality.

I agree that is a major thing that needs to be done. Unbiased, extensive studies on the effects this has on people good and bad.