Can we be satisfied?

4 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I don't know enough about the coaches, how they operate day to day, what they're asking the players to do, etc to answer that. If you're going off pure on field performance, the biggest positions that worry me would be LB & OL.

OL is young with some square pegs, so i think that will get better but will just take time. The LB play deeply concerns me, and if we're seeing the same things in 2 years, Frost will have to make a move on his defensive staff. 

As a lifelong linebacker, it pains me to see the position likely being eliminated soon...Even now, our roster has less than half of our number of LBs as our rosters back when I was wanting to walk on.

How are any of our O-Linemen square pegs?  I sorta remember Run Blocking being much easier than pass blocking, but don't we usually do both?

I don't think we can consistently recruit the kind of talent to Nebraska to continuously run the SF offense however, there's this little part of me that believes he could turn this place into a football factory like Bama/Clemson. He's just gonna need a little more breathing room to do it though, IMO.

The real question is whether or not this fan base has the patience for that.

7 hours ago, WyoHusker56 said:

We out recruited UCLA last year and we're on Pace to again this year. The spread offense can and does work in the B1G. NU is not the only team to use it. I don't know enough about the defense, but Wisconsin makes a 3-4 work really well. 

Ya, Ohio State has dominated the con running a spread O.  Being that our D-line is superior to our LB-corps I'd like to see more 4-man front this year but I'm OK with a 3-4 base long-term,  either scheme works or doesn't depending on how well you recruit to it and execute.

• Plus1 1

Satisfaction is a loaded term.  At this point in NU football I would be satisfied with seeming improvement.  I think we led the nation in TO's under Bo with TM, Riley with Lee and now under Frost with AM we sit at 124....I'd be satisfied with no blow out losses.  Stomping "inferior" opponents. Less penalties....IMHO, this would translate to wins.....BUT just seeing us look like  a competent football team regardless of W-L would be improvement.

Another concern I have is that Solich couldn't recruit.....Cally was Callly, Bo was too mean and only had success with Cally's recruits 9 wins was smoke and mirrors, Riley just sucked and Frost inherited a mess.....We are going on roughly 18 years of continued turmoil in NU football.  Blaming the former coaches, players etc....We have yet to right the ship.  Can Frost do it?  I hope so.  If he can't, I am unsure who can.

I do not think that Frost's offense as he ran at UCF will be successful in the B1G.  The B1G top to bottom is more physical, better athletes, more speed, colder weather and just a better conference top to bottom than the AAC.  Will elements work?  Of course, BUT I am still waiting for the HUSKER POWER part to show up.  Unsure about the staff as a whole. They are young, inexperienced in some spots and this is a brand new league.  

I'm not satisfied now.  Too much regression IMHO.  Too much talk of lack of buy in, culture issues, selfishness from the players. Lack of physicality, identity etc..in year 2.

Go back to looking like NU and I'll be satisfied.  Until we are not playing in the conference championship and then not winning and then not making it into the playoffs, and not winning.........  One step at a time.  Satisfaction is continually evolving based upon our level of success....

As to being patient, that's the only choice we have.  And as many issues as this team appears to have.  Patience will be needed.

Poor man want to be rich
Rich man want to be king
And a king ain't satisfied
Till he rules everything-

The Boss

• Plus1 8
7 minutes ago, lo country said:

Satisfaction is a loaded term.  At this point in NU football I would be satisfied with seeming improvement.  I think we led the nation in TO's under Bo with TM, Riley with Lee and now under Frost with AM we sit at 124....I'd be satisfied with no blow out losses.  Stomping "inferior" opponents. Less penalties....IMHO, this would translate to wins.....BUT just seeing us look like  a competent football team regardless of W-L would be improvement.

Another concern I have is that Solich couldn't recruit.....Cally was Callly, Bo was too mean and only had success with Cally's recruits 9 wins was smoke and mirrors, Riley just sucked and Frost inherited a mess.....We are going on roughly 18 years of continued turmoil in NU football.  Blaming the former coaches, players etc....We have yet to right the ship.  Can Frost do it?  I hope so.  If he can't, I am unsure who can.

I do not think that Frost's offense as he ran at UCF will be successful in the B1G.  The B1G top to bottom is more physical, better athletes, more speed, colder weather and just a better conference top to bottom than the AAC.  Will elements work?  Of course, BUT I am still waiting for the HUSKER POWER part to show up.  Unsure about the staff as a whole. They are young, inexperienced in some spots and this is a brand new league.  

I'm not satisfied now.  Too much regression IMHO.  Too much talk of lack of buy in, culture issues, selfishness from the players. Lack of physicality, identity etc..in year 2.

Go back to looking like NU and I'll be satisfied.  Until we are not playing in the conference championship and then not winning and then not making it into the playoffs, and not winning.........  One step at a time.  Satisfaction is continually evolving based upon our level of success....

As to being patient, that's the only choice we have.  And as many issues as this team appears to have.  Patience will be needed.

Word.  :bonez

There is a difference between being content and being satisfied. We may never be truly satisfied without championships, which means we might never be satisfied again. But perhaps we can be content with being respectable, which is where we need to first get to anyway.

As for Harbaugh? He's an asshat. If he was more like, say, Scott Frost, maybe Michigan fans would be more content (I don't know, I'm not a Michigan fan, maybe those d!(ks love that kind of guy). But if Scott Frost had Pelini's record, we might be more content, just never actually satisfied. Problem was, Pelini was an asshat too. If he had the demeanor of a Scott Frost, Pelini would probably still be here.

• Plus1 3

I've gotten beyond having the Husker Football team success or lack of success determine my mood and attitude.  I get riled up during games still, of course.  But at the end of the game (or earlier if it's going badly), I'm off to the garage to tinker or such.  I guess you could just say I'm happy.  

And here is where I'd insert the Pharrell "Happy" video if I were more motivated.

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, FTW said:

I don't think we can consistently recruit the kind of talent to Nebraska to continuously run the SF offense however, there's this little part of me that believes he could turn this place into a football factory like Bama/Clemson. He's just gonna need a little more breathing room to do it though, IMO.

The real question is whether or not this fan base has the patience for that.

SF OFFENSE DOESN'T TAKE ELITE TALENT. We would be rolling up historic numbers now if it wasn't for an inexperienced OL. Once Frost gets the guys he has been recruiting up front up to speed this offense will take off. Wouldn't be surprised if we hit a groove after this bye week.

• Plus1 7
  • Haha 1
3 hours ago, Danimal said:

Ya, Ohio State has dominated the con running a spread O.  Being that our D-line is superior to our LB-corps I'd like to see more 4-man front this year but I'm OK with a 3-4 base long-term,  either scheme works or doesn't depending on how well you recruit to it and execute.

Good point on the DL. I think great coaches find a way to win with the guys they have. I think a Stille, Davis, Daniels, Davis front would be ideal with the players we have and it takes one of our liabilities of a LB off the field. Hope maybe we see that, but we just don't have the LB talent to succeed with 3-4 right now. 

1 hour ago, Redux said:

Luckily for Frost there is nobody above him on the list of candidates Husker Nation wants.  Unless we could clone a young Tom Osborne, even then we know it would take two more decades to win the big one, and the fanbase these days can't wait that long for a payoff.

I think Frost is that TO clone.  In time I think we will see this more and more.  But SF needs time to build up both lines - that is the key.  We need to follow the Wisc model who followed the Nebraska model - funny in a not so funny way how that is playing out.  Control the line of scrimmage and you control the game - doesn't matter what type of O you run or what O you play against.  Unlike skilled players who have the natural talent out of high school that can quickly translate on to the college field, it takes more time to develop talented OL players and DL players - even if they are 4/5 star recruits.  If SF can re-establish the pipeline, we will be fine IMHO.  If we can win the division and occasionally win the conference (which in most cases puts us in the playoff discussion) I will be satisfied.  If we can find a way to consistently be in the top 15 that would be great (I'm tired of seeing schools wt no tradition constantly ranked ahead of us)  But it will take more time.    This year is a wake up call - things were worse than I thought & perhaps worse than most of us thought - maybe even what SF thought:dunno.  I think 2021 & 2022 are the years to measure how well we've progressed. 

• Plus1 1
11 hours ago, HUSKER 37 said:

Believe in him to do what?

I still believe in him, but I'm starting to find myself having to temper some of my original thoughts..

I don't think this Offense will be effective long term, if at all...It will get more better with faster recruits, but then again...Will we ever out recruit a place like UCLA where Chip Kelly is struggling with a similar Offense/Defense philosophy in his year two?

Hopefully, S.F. is capable of evolving or adjusting faster than T.O AND HIS STAFF were...I know..Tall order.

These past two decades, I've been hoping for game time adjustments on our side instead of theirs..

This offense has nowhere near the personnel necessary to function as designed and advertised. He's going to need at least 2 more recruiting classes to get anywhere close to what he wants the depth chart to look like. 

• Plus1 3
46 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

SF OFFENSE DOESN'T TAKE ELITE TALENT. We would be rolling up historic numbers now if it wasn't for an inexperienced OL. Once Frost gets the guys he has been recruiting up front up to speed this offense will take off. Wouldn't be surprised if we hit a groove after this bye week.

I wouldn't be surprised if they continued to regress. But we'll see. A win here would be huge for the development of the team. Without Martinez, I don't like our chances.

• Plus1 1