Capri Davis to Take Medical Leave

Mavric

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

The fact that she felt pressured to put this announcement out via tweet to me signifies that it was pretty prolific, and no college athlete should have to deal with that for any reason, much less when she is dealing with a health issue that is significant enough to make her step away from the sport she loves.  

Again, not the entire fan base.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

2 hours ago, NM11046 said:

How horrible that this poor girl is forced to take medical leave for whatever reason and this entire fanbase is up her a$$.  And she has to post something like this in defense.  What an embarrassment of a fanbase.

Very interesting take - are you a writer?

7 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

Very interesting take - are you a writer?

Huh?  No I'm not.  And what does one's profession have to do with having empathy and understanding that humans, especially student athletes deserve privacy and support from their fans not speculation and fighting rumors like this.  As a 18-19 year old dealing with whatever she's going through to have to deal with speculation like this is very sad.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, NM11046 said:

Huh?  No I'm not.  And what does one's profession have to do with having empathy and understanding that humans, especially student athletes deserve privacy and support from their fans not speculation and fighting rumors like this.  As a 18-19 year old dealing with whatever she's going through to have to deal with speculation like this is very sad.

I'll give you credit this post is better then previous

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, NM11046 said:

I agree with all you have said except about the fanbase. This whole deal can be blamed on social media and anonymous speculation. I agree it's a shame she had to deal with these rumors on top of whatever else she is dealing with but people are people and when presented the opportunity they will speculate and perpetuate rumors, unfortunately some with a lot less tact and compassion than others. I think that's just the way the world is now. Sad but whatcha going to do?

• Plus1 1

15 hours ago, NM11046 said:

Well, I know this site is just a small sample size of the fan base.  However, everyone on here refused to post the rumor....until one person came on very late and did it.  It's not like the "entire fan base" was posting it all over the place.

• Plus1 1
11 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

Well, I know this site is just a small sample size of the fan base.  However, everyone on here refused to post the rumor....until one person came on very late and did it.  It's not like the "entire fan base" was posting it all over the place.

I can only speak to the fact that she felt the need to post something to acknowledge the rumor because she was getting so much attention, and she had to speak out to her team about it.  I'm grateful nobody posted it in this thread, but it's been talked about in others - 

You all can dig into the fact that not all fans went the wrong way on this, that's fine.  My point remains.  If anybody did it's in poor taste and a reflection on the entire fanbase.  Just like when any idiot with a GBR twitter pic says something stupid to a recruit or a player - it reflects on us all regardless of the number of people who chime in.   

If what a few of you want for not sharing it online is a pat on the back - you got it.  I'm still disappointed that a young woman feels the need to defend or explain her medical leave for any reason.   

1 minute ago, NM11046 said:

I can only speak to the fact that she felt the need to post something to acknowledge the rumor because she was getting so much attention, and she had to speak out to her team about it.  I'm grateful nobody posted it in this thread, but it's been talked about in others - 

You all can dig into the fact that not all fans went the wrong way on this, that's fine.  My point remains.  If anybody did it's in poor taste and a reflection on the entire fanbase.  Just like when any idiot with a GBR twitter pic says something stupid to a recruit or a player - it reflects on us all regardless of the number of people who chime in.   

If what a few of you want for not sharing it online is a pat on the back - you got it.  I'm still disappointed that a young woman feels the need to defend or explain her medical leave for any reason.   

Nobody is asking for a "pat on the back".

Your point about being sad that she needed to post this is a valid one.  The point about the entire fan base being an embarrassment isn't.

You don't know if the vast majority of the fan base was spreading this all over the place or a select few and she had some teammates mention it to her(making her think it was all over the place)....so....she felt she needed to clarify.  

The fact is, we don't know so no reason to condemn everyone for it.

• Plus1 1

It could have easily been avoided if more information would have been provided to squash the rumor-ville  social media.  I had heard a completely different story about Capri than the one she put to rest on her Tweet.  

The 24/7 world we live in is brutal, not surprising stuff like this gets out and gains traction

7 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

It could have easily been avoided if more information would have been provided to squash the rumor-ville  social media.  I had heard a completely different story about Capri than the one she put to rest on her Tweet.  

The 24/7 world we live in is brutal, not surprising stuff like this gets out and gains traction

You're blaming the athlete for not providing more specific medical information to quash baseless rumors? If it was an injury or something from volleyball sure, but assuming it's not there is zero reason she should need to give more information.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Husker in WI said:

You're blaming the athlete for not providing more specific medical information to quash baseless rumors? If it was an injury or something from volleyball sure, but assuming it's not there is zero reason she should need to give more information.

Not blaming Capri at all.  She is a standout scholar athlete and I did not intend to make it sound that way.

33 minutes ago, 10_point_buck said:

Not blaming Capri at all.  She is a standout scholar athlete and I did not intend to make it sound that way.

I do tend to read too much into things and assume the worst, so fair enough sorry for jumping to that. But I realistically don't know what/where else the information would come from that would've prevented the rumors. It's really on people to not let the rumors go too far, and people suck at that.