The Fragile Bowl

OK, it’s not bowl season yet. Both the Huskers and Hoosiers are getting closer to the magic number to qualify, but they’re not there yet. So until then, we could call Saturday’s game the Fragile Bowl.

The state of mind around the Huskers right now is... fragile. Lots of questions. Anything but swagger.

And Indiana? They’re doing a bit better this year. But this is a football program that has since 2002... Won 29, Lost 110 conference games. Winning percentage 21%. That’s big time fragile.

Indiana always has trouble with a football. They keep wanting to throw the thing at hoops that’s inside the gym. That’s what they’re better at.

Somebody is going to feel better about themselves on Sunday morning. And somebody else is going to feel... fragile. And Huskers will never ever sit right with fragile.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

IMHO, this game will tell us more about this team than any one this season.  I think it will also tell us the trajectory of this season leading into next.  If we come out flat/lose after the a$$ kicking from Minnie and a 2 week bye we are in trouble.  And will show Frost has a bigger mess on his hands and even less answers than he had starting the season.  Players might start doubting the staff and process.    Win (and I think it's possible), it shows that Frost can get the guys ready, they trust the process and each other.  Frost and Co can adjust.  Can teach.  If the freshman play and do well, proof recruiting is working and the right guys are coming in.

To the OP, fragile bowl is correct, but for us.  I don't think Indiana feels the pressure that the team, Frost and NU fans do...NU REALLY needs this win..

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

15 minutes ago, lo country said:

IMHO, this game will tell us more about this team than any one this season.  I think it will also tell us the trajectory of this season leading into next.  If we come out flat/lose after the a$$ kicking from Minnie and a 2 week bye we are in trouble.  And will show Frost has a bigger mess on his hands and even less answers than he had starting the season.  Players might start doubting the staff and process.    Win (and I think it's possible), it shows that Frost can get the guys ready, they trust the process and each other.  Frost and Co can adjust.  Can teach.  If the freshman play and do well, proof recruiting is working and the right guys are coming in.

To the OP, fragile bowl is correct, but for us.  I don't think Indiana feels the pressure that the team, Frost and NU fans do...NU REALLY needs this win..

I threw up in my mouth a little when you needed to clarify "Win (and I think it's possible)" pertaining to Indiana.

1 minute ago, JJ Husker said:

I threw up in my mouth a little when you needed to clarify "Win (and I think it's possible)" pertaining to Indiana.

Never in my life as a Husker fan did I ever think we'd fall to this point.  To where getting to a bowl at 6-6 is a "win" or step in right direction.....And a dog to a B-Ball school.....At home.

1 minute ago, lo country said:

Never in my life as a Husker fan did I ever think we'd fall to this point.  To where getting to a bowl at 6-6 is a "win" or step in right direction.....And a dog to a B-Ball school.....At home.

If it helps, we’re 2.5 point favorites now.....:lol:

18 minutes ago, lo country said:

And yet....here we are!

success will be that much sweeter for those who don’t sour so much before it comes!!

N- 28

I-  21

• Plus1 1

24 minutes ago, lo country said:

I totally thought we would get here...so I am jacked that my prognostication is completely on a Nostradomus level...winning 

I agree with some on this board that stated that this game is a very important game for us. It is a litmus test of our ability to rebound and right the ship when we have been kicked in the balls. If we lose this game in a similar fashion to our loss to the gophers, it will have huge ramifications in terms of recruiting and our chances to get to the toilet bowl. All the pressure is on us. Indiana will not have any pressure as going 5-3 does not ruin their chances at going bowling. They still have several possible wins ahead of them. For us, this game is more important than a bowl game. With all the issues surrounding this football program, we need a win to help us make sense of things again.

• Plus1 2

JoJo Domann had some pretty pointed comments on the Carriker Chronicles on Wednesday:

When ask how he would grade their season so far JoJo said “I’d give us a C.” He went on to say 

“We’re proficient. We know how to do our jobs...” “We definitely have that next gear that we need to hit as a unit, and that’s going to come with guys filling out, guys being committed, guys being dedicated day in and day out, not just excited to put on the Nebraska uniform on Saturday to run out the tunnel. Guys that are about the process and guys that love football and are hungry, and once we have guys like that, the sky’s the limit.”

You read that right... “And once we have guys like that...” :unsure:

The culture is worse than we ever knew and it is going to take time to cleanse. People need to slow down with expectations, including (especially) myself. 6 wins should be the goal. I had hoped they were in a better position to be successful, but hearing that there continues to be a buy in problem from a player that has heart is gut wrenching. Get those who don’t care the he11 out of there.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/carriker/carriker-chronicles-jojo-domann-on-nebraska-s-goals-going-forward/article_b1449e37-c5fd-5ffb-901e-6600e0de70d8.html

• Plus1 5