The Fragile Bowl

I remember when we used to complain about not getting to play Indiana enough, when we got in the B1G. 

Now we are worried about, losing to them!!! Man how times have changed. 

I think we win this one, but I thought we would beat Minn also. I'm like the rest of you, just hoping we play a good game.

GBR!!!

• Plus1 1

7 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

JoJo Domann had some pretty pointed comments on the Carriker Chronicles on Wednesday:

When ask how he would grade their season so far JoJo said “I’d give us a C.” He went on to say 

“We’re proficient. We know how to do our jobs...” “We definitely have that next gear that we need to hit as a unit, and that’s going to come with guys filling out, guys being committed, guys being dedicated day in and day out, not just excited to put on the Nebraska uniform on Saturday to run out the tunnel. Guys that are about the process and guys that love football and are hungry, and once we have guys like that, the sky’s the limit.”

You read that right... “And once we have guys like that...” :unsure:

The culture is worse than we ever knew and it is going to take time to cleanse. People need to slow down with expectations, including (especially) myself. 6 wins should be the goal. I had hoped they were in a better position to be successful, but hearing that there continues to be a buy in problem from a player that has heart is gut wrenching. Get those who don’t care the he11 out of there.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/carriker/carriker-chronicles-jojo-domann-on-nebraska-s-goals-going-forward/article_b1449e37-c5fd-5ffb-901e-6600e0de70d8.html

We have a roster full of kids like him we will be set.  Can't believe how far we have to go.  No doubt frustrating for Frost, kids who have the mentality and the fans...

Like you said, you don't want to be here, het the hell out.  I'd rather Frost play kids 100% bought in than the see the guys not going all N.

It's just that we see and hear the sayings of the coach and the local sports writers right after each loss, then up to the next game about what needs to be corrected, etc.  We keep seeing that pattern (for many many years now).  The 6 game bowl eligible threshold comes and goes.  Is it coming this time?

The team seems to be collapsing again, as to fire on the field.  Some are over there happily dancing to the stadium music on the sidelines after we've been scored on.  I felt like SF should have slapped them all across the face Moe Howard style.  

Something is deeply deeply wrong with the Nebraska football program.  A bowl?  Would we even f*^%$#g really deserve it with somehow getting 6 wins?

8 hours ago, ZMagers22 said:

JoJo Domann had some pretty pointed comments on the Carriker Chronicles on Wednesday:

When ask how he would grade their season so far JoJo said “I’d give us a C.” He went on to say 

“We’re proficient. We know how to do our jobs...” “We definitely have that next gear that we need to hit as a unit, and that’s going to come with guys filling out, guys being committed, guys being dedicated day in and day out, not just excited to put on the Nebraska uniform on Saturday to run out the tunnel. Guys that are about the process and guys that love football and are hungry, and once we have guys like that, the sky’s the limit.”

You read that right... “And once we have guys like that...” :unsure:

The culture is worse than we ever knew and it is going to take time to cleanse. People need to slow down with expectations, including (especially) myself. 6 wins should be the goal. I had hoped they were in a better position to be successful, but hearing that there continues to be a buy in problem from a player that has heart is gut wrenching. Get those who don’t care the he11 out of there.

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/carriker/carriker-chronicles-jojo-domann-on-nebraska-s-goals-going-forward/article_b1449e37-c5fd-5ffb-901e-6600e0de70d8.html

No absolutely not, that should not be the expectation.  I don't ever expect a team who is more talented to get crushed 34-0 by Minnesota.  It's unacceptable. 

Secondly, this is the exact same mantra we here by everyone each time there's a new coach, get Callahan's losers out of here because they don't know what Nebraska was about and we will win titles, get Bo's "toxic" (which was BS) dudes out of here for this great genius who has never won and we will win titles, now get these Riley dudes out of here because they don't love football and won't play hard and we will win titles.  

The constant circle of that is infuriating, you need to get what you got playing better then they are playing right now.  Our little recruiting rankings say we should beat these guys, making into some it's some players vs other players on our own team excuse is tired.  If that even is possibly true then it's failure in that aspect of coaching. 

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1
52 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

No absolutely not, that should not be the expectation.  I don't ever expect a team who is more talented to get crushed 34-0 by Minnesota.  It's unacceptable. 

Secondly, this is the exact same mantra we here by everyone each time there's a new coach, get Callahan's losers out of here because they don't know what Nebraska was about and we will win titles, get Bo's "toxic" (which was BS) dudes out of here for this great genius who has never won and we will win titles, now get these Riley dudes out of here because they don't love football and won't play hard and we will win titles.  

The constant circle of that is infuriating, you need to get what you got playing better then they are playing right now.  Our little recruiting rankings say we should beat these guys, making into some it's some players vs other players on our own team excuse is tired.  If that even is possibly true then it's failure in that aspect of coaching. 

All of those coaches failed for additional reasons besides the "type" of player we had on the roster. Callahan wasn't a college coach, plain and simple, and didn't fit with the culture/DNA of Nebraska. I think Callahan is a really good coach but his system didn't fit here. Bo Pelini is a great defensive coordinator but not sure he is high level head coaching material - even if he paired himself with an offensive genius/guru I don't think he had the managerial skills. Similarly, his defensive/peso system he developed in the Big XII didn't translate to the BIG. Riley, like Callahan, didn't fit with the culture of Nebraska - both guys could have success on the West Coast I believe.

Frost needs time. He's trying to blend the speed elements of the spread with power football of old Nebraska. If we don't give Frost at least 5 years it will be difficult to lure the coach we need, let alone any coach who isn't just looking for a pay day (Riley) to Nebraska. 

48 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

Who's the coach who would have us winning 9 this season? I'd like you to point them out. Also recruiting rankings don't mean much with the attrition we have seen

49 minutes ago, KingBlank said:

It's fun to be demanding with no authority, right?

Those recruiting rankings don't mean squat two or three coaches later, and when half those recruits are gone.

• Thanks 1
1 hour ago, bugeater17 said:

All of those coaches failed for additional reasons besides the "type" of player we had on the roster. Callahan wasn't a college coach, plain and simple, and didn't fit with the culture/DNA of Nebraska. I think Callahan is a really good coach but his system didn't fit here. Bo Pelini is a great defensive coordinator but not sure he is high level head coaching material - even if he paired himself with an offensive genius/guru I don't think he had the managerial skills. Similarly, his defensive/peso system he developed in the Big XII didn't translate to the BIG. Riley, like Callahan, didn't fit with the culture of Nebraska - both guys could have success on the West Coast I believe.

Frost needs time. He's trying to blend the speed elements of the spread with power football of old Nebraska. If we don't give Frost at least 5 years it will be difficult to lure the coach we need, let alone any coach who isn't just looking for a pay day (Riley) to Nebraska. 

No one said anything about getting rid of anyone.  Nothing at all in any of that, I am allowed to have concerns in game 20 about the simplistic aspects of football that aren't being done, that I feel should have already been corrected. 

• Plus1 2