The roster

11 minutes ago, Huskerzoo said:

The top FR and SO in the country can come in and start, we're not able to recruit those guys in a consistent way. We're going to be more of a Wisconsin style team in our recruiting than a Bama.

I think there might be some surprisingly good results on the recruiting trail as Frost continues.

Getting guys like Benhart and Corcoran is big.

And Beckton is doing a nice job so far recruiting Florida and Georgia.

• Plus1 5
Just now, TheSker said:

I think there might be some surprisingly good results on the recruiting trail as Frost continues.

Getting guys like Benhart and Corcoran is big.

And Beckton is doing a nice job so far recruiting Florida and Georgia.

Oh absolutely. I'm very optimistic about this staff. I think my point was more that if you look at Bama/Clemson, they just have SO and Fr all over the place. I think we will regularly have a few guys in that group playing for us, but they're probably not going to ever really be the meat of the team, even if they are the stars of the team. 

• Plus1 1

Great post! Love the info. I like to think there are three categories that will dictate how far a team goes (an oversimplification but it’s how I picture it). Talent, Effort (“want to”) , Scheme. Teams like Wisconsin have maxed out scheme and effort but lack talent. Teams like Bama have maxed out all three. Teams like FSU have talent but lack the other two. I think when Frost took over all three categories were bottom of the barrel. Progress has been made on all 3 fronts, but as your numbers show, there is a long way to go on the talent front, and that’s the hardest one for ANY team to correct. I’m hoping by the end of the year we see strides in effort and scheme - the talent we will have to be patient on. 

• Plus1 1

Awesome post! I think you make a great point about the underclassmen. So many look at tOSU and Bama and see their Fr and So starting and ask why ours can't do more. However, those guys are 4* and 5* players that are physically ready for college football mixed in with talented upperclassmen. Nebraska will always be more of a development school than a show up and play school. Great post.

• Plus1 1

Fun stats time, total number of Jr or Sr 4 or 5 star players to total on the team:

Nebraska 8 out of 20 (DD transfer, Green JUCO, Raridon little playing time)

Illinois 6 out of 12 (All 6 upper classman transfered in)

Wisconsin 4 out of 9

Iowa 2 out of 7

Minnesota 2 out of 5 (St-Juste Transfer)

Northwestern 1 out of 3

Purdue 0 out of 5

• Plus1 4
39 minutes ago, deedsker said:

Fun stats time, total number of Jr or Sr 4 or 5 star players to total on the team:

Nebraska 8 out of 20 (DD transfer, Green JUCO, Raridon little playing time)

Illinois 6 out of 12 (All 6 upper classman transfered in)

Wisconsin 4 out of 9

Iowa 2 out of 7

Minnesota 2 out of 5 (St-Juste Transfer)

Northwestern 1 out of 3

Purdue 0 out of 5

So this is the 8 players:  

Eric Lee, Avery Anderson, Lamar Jackson, John Rairdon, Marquel Dismuke, Matt Farniok, Darion Daniels(first year in program), and Green(who is redshirting).  To me it seems like at least this staff is getting the most that they can out of these players. 

• Plus1 2
21 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

Eric Lee, Avery Anderson, Lamar Jackson, John Rairdon, Marquel Dismuke, Matt Farniok, Darion Daniels(first year in program), and Green(who is redshirting).  To me it seems like at least this staff is getting the most that they can out of these players. 

That list really shows the lack of talent this team has. Out of these upperclassmen Jackson's the only one that has a chance to make an all conference team this year and even though his play has improved he still is allergic to contact sometimes.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

53 minutes ago, PasstheDamnBallGuy said:

You also have to wonder if Frost would have brought in the Riley 4 stars, so while we do have some talent, it’s not talent hand picked to be in Frost’s system. Also 4 of those guys are DBs which is probably are strongest unit! My gut feeling is in 4 years, when we look at the high 3* and 4* guys Frost has brought in, this conversation is going to go very differently.

• Plus1 3
1 hour ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

You also have to wonder if Frost would have brought in the Riley 4 stars, so while we do have some talent, it’s not talent hand picked to be in Frost’s system. Also 4 of those guys are DBs which is probably are strongest unit! My gut feeling is in 4 years, when we look at the high 3* and 4* guys Frost has brought in, this conversation is going to go very differently.

Yep 100%.  Look at that 2017 class where all 4 LBs are now gone. One of the weakest links of our team. 

• Plus1 4
  • Thanks 1
13 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

In these numbers lies the painful realization that even though we have more 4 and 5 star players on the team, the coaching staff has not been able to get the best out of them whereas Wisconsin, Iowa, and Minnesota seem to be able to get much more from their players. I like Frost and have no doubt he is the best fit for us right now but it is obvious that his supporting cast of coaches are not doing a good job. He needs to evaluate his coaching staff and ask them why they are not able to compete with teams that have much lesser talent. For starters, Verduzco sounds arrogant and incompetent from his comments. I feel that Martinez regressing is a direct consequence of Verduzco coaching him.

Ya can you imagine how good Milton would have been if he'd never been coached by Verdu? /s

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1