The roster

Piggybacking off this tweet by Jack Mitchell, we have some pretty good players to build around.

And, apparently, we lose:

Wyatt Mazour

Kanavai Noa

Carlos Davis

Khalil Davis

Darrion Daniels

Mo Barry

Alex Davis

Lamar Jackson

Mostly off the defense. The offensive core remains intact, including most of the O Line (barring guys winning competitions for spots)

And frankly, mostly the guys we lose on defense (with the exception of Lamar) won't be that hard to replace. Daniels is replaced by his brother, and we just need him to keep doing what Darrion is doing. The twins are not impact players. Alex Davis has been out of position as much as in position all year. Lamar will be a loss (and it's amazing to think that after what he went through last year!) but we have guys to step up.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Piggybacking off this tweet by Jack Mitchell, we have some pretty good players to build around.

Wyatt Mazour

Kanavai Noa

Carlos Davis

Khalil Davis

Darrion Daniels

Mo Barry

Alex Davis

Lamar Jackson

Mostly off the defense. The offensive core remains intact, including most of the O Line (barring guys winning competitions for spots)

And frankly, mostly the guys we lose on defense (with the exception of Lamar) won't be that hard to replace. Daniels is replaced by his brother, and we just need him to keep doing what Darrion is doing. The twins are not impact players. Alex Davis has been out of position as much as in position all year. Lamar will be a loss (and it's amazing to think that after what he went through last year!) but we have guys to step up.

I thought Lamar had been playing well most of this season, but he was flat out awful against Indiana.  I did see a Tweet where he owned up to it after the game, but he needs to play better.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wyatt Mazour

Kanavai Noa

Carlos Davis

Khalil Davis

Darrion Daniels

Mo Barry

Alex Davis

Lamar Jackson

Braxton Clark will step in and fill the Jackson void. Garrett Nelson will be an upgrade over Alex Davis over time. We have guys who we haven't seen at all yet who will likely be impact guys. Ty Robinson comes to mind.

• Plus1 1
Just now, Nebfanatic said:

Braxton Clark will step in and fill the Jackson void. Garrett Nelson will be an upgrade over Alex Davis over time. We have guys who we haven't seen at all yet who will likely be impact guys. Ty Robinson comes to mind.

I like Garrett Nelson, but I hope he learns how to play the OLB spot properly, and not just make the most aggressive play.  That TD run by Indiana's QB in the first quarter, he is supposed to have contain on that play.  He crashed down on the RB, and let the QB run untouched to the end zone.  Nelson also lost contain on the 3rd and 7 when Indiana was trying to run the clock out, and the QB ran around the right end for an easy first down.

• Plus1 6
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

I like Garrett Nelson, but I hope he learns how to play the OLB spot properly, and not just make the most aggressive play.  That TD run by Indiana's QB in the first quarter, he is supposed to have contain on that play.  He crashed down on the RB, and let the QB run untouched to the end zone.  Nelson also lost contain on the 3rd and 7 when Indiana was trying to run the clock out, and the QB ran around the right end for an easy first down.

Sounds like a true Freshman from western Nebraska getting a chance for his dream team. He will get better at controlling that aggression into the right play.

2 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Sounds like a true Freshman from western Nebraska getting a chance for his dream team. He will get better at controlling that aggression into the right play.

Again, I like what Nelson has to offer in terms of athleticism, strength, and effort.  But, when people wonder why the backups aren't playing when the starters aren't producing, his play comes to my mind.  But, that's the problem with the roster right now.  We have a bunch of older guys who just aren't that good, and the young guys who have more talent and more desire, just aren't ready to make consistent plays.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't get what Nelson being from western Nebraska has anything to do with his talent or play.

• Plus1 3
14 minutes ago, knapplc said:

Wyatt Mazour

Kanavai Noa

Carlos Davis

Khalil Davis

Darrion Daniels

Mo Barry

Alex Davis

Lamar Jackson

Lamar Jackson personally handed IU about 80 yds and 2 scores...

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Again, I like what Nelson has to offer in terms of athleticism, strength, and effort.  But, when people wonder why the backups aren't playing when the starters aren't producing, his play comes to my mind.  But, that's the problem with the roster right now.  We have a bunch of older guys who just aren't that good, and the young guys who have more talent and more desire, just aren't ready to make consistent plays.

Not trying to be a jerk, but I don't get what Nelson being from western Nebraska has anything to do with his talent or play.

His desire to play for the Huskers is probably higher than most. I doubt he would have even considered another school. What I'm saying is of course he is gonna mess some stuff up, he is a true freshman playing with his hair on fire. But thats the whole philosophy of this staff. No fear of failure, make mistakes at full speed. He will see those plays in film review and be better on them next time. He played like an inexperienced player who really wanted to make a play. That is a great things and shows me the promise he will be an upgrade over Davis. All Nelson needs is experience and discipline, things that typically aren't found in a freshman. Give him time to mature and he will play the position correctly.

9 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Exactly, Garrett lost contain on a couple plays in big spots in this game. Again, growing pains for a kid laying it all out there - he just needs more experience and trust to play within the system. 

The critiques of Lamar Jackson are fine for this game. But he's among the Big Ten's leaders at his position. One bad game doesn't mean he's having a bad season.

Not going to go too far to defend the guy. He has a lot of work to do on his game. But let's look at the whole season, not just one bad game (that he owned up to).