Mr. 800k #Cashin’ Checks

3 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Here is what Chin focuses on by his own admission.

The first-year defensive coordinator cited a statistic that he calculated that shows the importance of sacks to a defense. Chinander said 93 percent of drives where a sack occurs end with no points for the offense.

The goal for Chinander’s defense is simple: get the offense the ball. 

“We don’t want guys who are making a lot of errors, but you need production,” Chinander said. “You need tackles for loss, you need sacks, you obviously need turnovers if you’re going to pair up with a Scott Frost offense. What I’m concerned with is (tackles for loss) stats, turnovers, limiting explosive plays, percentage on third down and percentage on red zone. Turnovers is king for me.”

Here is what we've done in conf play this year:

3rd down conversion: 13th/14

Turnovers Forced: Last

Red Zone Defense: Last

Sacks : 10th/14

I miss the days where a type of attitude was coached and stats take care of themselves.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

1 hour ago, Vince R. said:

Totally, but the whole point here is that they aren't necessarily trying to be the number one defense in the country. They are trying to feed the offense more opportunities to score. Now that neither is working, the team is completely inept. But who is closer to their own benchmark? I'd say that the offense is underperforming tremendously based on expectations. The defense on the other hand, has mirrored what its expectation is much of the season, albeit a lack of pass rush. This team and coach philosophy only goes as far as the offense takes it, and thats how it is going to be.  

Name the last national championship team that had a philosophy of not wanting to be an elite defense. 

Actually their philosophy is in contradiction to the black shirt tradition 

6 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Firing Chin would probably be an overreaction, but I would like to see some changes. Get creative with pressure, get speed on speed - maybe even get another DB back out there on 3rd and 50 instead of letting the same LB get beat by the same dude for the 50th time, send 5 - maybe let Tannor get after the QB. 

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Name the last national championship team that had a philosophy of not wanting to be an elite defense. 

Actually their philosophy is in contradiction to the black shirt tradition 

Let me back up just a bit. Of course they want an elite defense, but they seem to be willing to sacrifice some yards for turnovers and opportunities. Not necessarily play reckless, but to mirror the style of their offense. 

The Offense will have its 3 yard losses just to be followed by a 55 yard td run. The Defense will give up two straight first downs to get the interception. This is how they want to play. They know if they are humming on Offense; three turnovers can put a team away fast. This then allows the Defense to play more free and continue to take chances for more turnovers. This is where the "no fear of failure" comes from. Now that the offense is not working, the fear of failure has totally come into play, because they did not expect to see the offense regress this much. This is where it is on the coaches to learn how to do their job when things do not go the way they planned. 

I am almost positive that this is what has gotten us to this point. All the other culture stuff and buy in is a by product of what has transpired from here. Guys checked out because their own expectations weren't met and the season is already incredibly disappointing. Also, you hear a lot about the older guys regressing or going back to their old habits. Well it's because this season looks too familiar to them. It was so easy for them to regress, and how do coaches get them to stop when they too are learning from this. 

For the record, I am not happy about this. I just think this is exactly whats going on. The bright side is that the younger players appear to not be happy at all, and thats what you need. I know some of them can't wait for the older guys to move on. 

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Huskers93-97 said:

The Line stunts are so over-curved they almost look like they're dropping in pass coverage.  The loopy nature of them alone buys almost another 1.5 seconds for the QB.  

I'm not seeing the brilliance, and this should be concerning for anyone thinking Scott's loyalty isn't going to ride this train.  Likely the same for DeWitt.  Survival warrior.

If Scott is going to get mean, I'm not sure he can.  

5 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

Let me back what I said up just a bit. Of course they want an elite defense, but they seem to be willing to sacrifice some yards for turnovers and opportunities. Not necessarily play reckless, but to mirror the style of their offense. 

The Offense will have its 3 yard losses just to be followed by a 55 yard td run. The Defense will give up two straight first downs to get the interception. This is how they want to play. They know if they are humming on Offense; three turnovers can put a team away fast. This then allows the Defense to play more free and continue to take chances for more turnovers. This is where the "no fear of failure" comes from. Now that the offense is not working, the fear of failure has totally come into play, because they did not expect to see the offense regress this much. This is where it is on the coaches to learn how to do their job when things do not go the way they planned. 

I am almost positive that this is what has gotten us to this point. All the other culture stuff and buy in is a by product of what has transpired from here. Guys checked out because their own expectations weren't met and the season is already incredibly disappointing. Also, you hear a lot about the older guys regressing or going back to their old habits. Well it's because this season looks too familiar to them. It was so easy for them to regress, and how do coaches get them to stop when they too are learning from this. 

For the record, I am not happy about this. I just think this is exactly whats going on. 

What year do we get different results from philosophy?

Why do older guys get to start the next week after checking out?  

What do we do against teams that never turn it over?

Bench them

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1
7 minutes ago, DefenderAO said:

What year do we get different results from philosophy?

Why do older guys get to start the next week after checking out?  

What do we do against teams that never turn it over?

Bench them

You have to weather it. It's still the best chance to win. The gaps in size and understanding is too vast at the moment. Nebraska is about two years away from not being in this position anymore. But right now, you can't put Heinrich in for Barry, or Mossai for Ben Stille. This league eats up guys who aren't physically ready. 

7 minutes ago, Vince R. said:

You have to weather it. It's still the best chance to win. The gaps in size and understanding is too vast at the moment. Nebraska is about two years away from not being in this position anymore. But right now, you can't put Heinrich in for Barry, or Mossai for Ben Stille. This league eats up guys who aren't physically ready. 

I just don’t like the over reliance on one side of the ball. What happens if you miss on a year or 2 of line recruits, or you have 2-3 years of not having elite qb play. Do we have to suffer through s#!tty seasons cause the D is never good enough to carry us? They are just there to support the offense. The teams that are great seem to value all 3 phases equally. They want elite defense who can win games for you if the O is having an off game, same for the offense. Then special teams that do their job, put you in good field positions and don’t cost you the game. It seems like we only value 1 of 3. Or maybe don’t treat them all equal 

also so doesn’t that make it tough to recruit d if the goal is support the offense. It just doesn’t fit the culture of blackshirts to me 

• Plus1 2

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I just don’t like the over reliance on one side of the ball. What happens if you miss on a year or 2 of line recruits, or you have 2-3 years of not having elite qb play. Do we have to suffer through s#!tty seasons cause the D is never get enough to carry us? They are just there to support the offense. The teams that are great seem to value all 3 phases equally. They want elite defense who can win games for you if the O is having an off game, same for the offense. Then special teams that do their job, put you in good field positions and don’t cost you the game. It seems like we only value 1 of 3. Or maybe don’t treat them all equal 

I am right there with you.

1 minute ago, Vince R. said:

I am right there with you.

Maybe frost likes chin so much cause he is supportive of frosts philosophy. I am guessing if you brought in a big dog d coordinator like venables. He is not going to agree they are there to support the O. He would have pride to want to dominate and not give up yards trying to make turnovers 

8 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Maybe frost likes chin so much cause he is supportive of frosts philosophy. I am guessing if you brought in a big dog d coordinator like venables. He is not going to agree they are there to support the O. He would have pride to want to dominate and not give up yards trying to make turnovers 

I think they are on the same wave length. They like to play the exact same way, and both are brutally honest. I actually like Chinander a lot. He is working with way less, and his side of the ball is the most consistent.  His emphasis on length and space eating is exactly what Nebraska needs on defense. They will improve as the personnel gets better but right now they need to figure out the recipe for teams like this. They're going to learn a lot after this this season and I believe they should be afforded that. I know some guys on the radio already think he and other guys should be gone but I am not going that way just yet. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I wonder if the reason Frost doesn't even let Chinander hold post-game interviews is because he doesn't even really run the defense.  Maybe Frost is a Belichick-type coach who handles all of it (offense and defense).  It's clear Walters just gets coffee (and honestly doesn't seem to do much WR developing).   Maybe Chinander has about as much actual responsibility as Walters.

• Plus1 1