QB thoughts

The QB is not the biggest problem.  The defense does not function right.  They cannot play a game where they control field position.  I watch and don’t expect them to stop anybody at 3rd and short.  The LBs don’t seem to in control.   That is on the coaches- their schemes and preparation fall short.  

The offensive line still is undependable.  The play calling is bad about half the time.  Turnovers and turnovers!  Scott Frost:  never never never call anymore pass plays to the sidelines at or behind the LOS. They are usually a waste of a down.  Football is a north- south game!

• Fire 1

The O looked very impressive under Noah.  It was quick and up tempo and put Indiana on their heels.  Havent seen timeouts like that sonce Frost has been here.  Coming back in after 2 hours layed up was straight up hard core.  Kudos.

Luke played well.  Still no idea why no PA to get them out of the box.....No way he is 200lbs....He also balled out and played tough as nails.

Martinez was like that last year. Tough.  Ruthless.  Confident.  No idea what happened.  Maybe this game lights a fire in him to play loose and free.  Lay ot all out and be 2AM that last 4 games.

Tha OL (and play calling) hasn't done any QB's favors this year...

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 3
35 minutes ago, lo country said:

The O looked very impressive under Noah.  It was quick and up tempo and put Indiana on their heels.  Havent seen timeouts like that sonce Frost has been here.  Coming back in after 2 hours layed up was straight up hard core.  Kudos.

Luke played well.  Still no idea why no PA to get them out of the box.....No way he is 200lbs....He also balled out and played tough as nails.

Martinez was like that last year. Tough.  Ruthless.  Confident.  No idea what happened.  Maybe this game lights a fire in him to play loose and free.  Lay ot all out and be 2AM that last 4 games.

Tha OL (and play calling) hasn't done any QB's favors this year...

I don’t understand the play calling at all.  Are we trying to hurt Wandale?  What has happen to JD that we don’t target him anymore?  Why don’t we try to go vertical more than 2 times a game? Do have any play action?

2 hours ago, BIG ERN said:

Luke is better IMO. True freshman and looked great. Vedral has been in the system for 3 years. Imagine Luke in 3 years 

and AM was a preseason Heisman candidate. 

Just picking- in three years McCaffrey will have hopeful hit puberty and have developed his man muscles

2 hours ago, obert1 said:

I believe, at this point you go youth and go future.

Only if it can get you to bowl eligibility. We need that extra month

5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I don’t understand the play calling at all.  Are we trying to hurt Wandale?  What has happen to JD that we don’t target him anymore?  Why don’t we try to go vertical more than 2 times a game? Do have any play action?

Did JD even play the first half?  Is he in the doghouse? I just assume that if I don't see someone for a half they pissed off Frost

1 minute ago, gobiggergoredder said:

I can't disagree with one thing. I mentioned Wan'dale in another thread.  It appeared a lot of the play calling was to ruch him right into the DT's and LB's....  I imagine him to be used like Percy Harvin when he was at UF....Of course keeping him healthy should be a priority....

I can't understand the play calling at all.  It seems Frost and Co have no idea how to counter an aggressive powerful defensive front.  I think (hope) it's a learning curve.  The AAC appears to be a conference where the quickest wins and speed gets you out of some jams.  (It has here with Mo and Wan'dale at times)  You can't out quick the line with inferior line play or out muscle them.  you can scheme to slow it down or help your QB.  I've (and a lot of folks) have been calling to roll out the QB, move the pocket and we did tonight with Luke.  It worked, never to be seen again. Like a lot of plays that work and went AWOL.

And JD...MIA.  Why do we not purposefully target our top guys "X" times per game.  Frost had metioned that before that we need to target our guys more......Play calling is what gets this done.  Want more tosses to JD, call plays with his in the tree, tell QB he is your 1st or 2nd read.  Forget the other routes.  Get to him or run/throw away......Feed him the ball.  

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

I sure as hell wouldn't burn McCaffrey's redshirt for this season the way it is shaping up. He looks to be the future. Other than mop up duty or garbage time if we are getting clobbered again (as I expect in at least a couple of the remaining games) I would sit him. I would also stop running him on every other play or we will end up with another QB going down. He was already dinged up in the short time he played today.

And if they keep running WR into the teeth of defense at the rate they are doing it he won't make it through his college career without a suffering at least one major injury. The kid is touch as nails for his size but he can only take so much.

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I think this needs to be the theme for all positions.  At this point why worry about burning red-shirts. If we truly want to be better in 2020, we need to be playing the young guys now and give them items to focus on this off-season.  

I guess I think about this different. This season is shot save all the redshirts you can. Get them four games and shut them down no reason to waste a year of eligibility for this mess. 

• Plus1 1