Huskers - Time For Soul-Searching

Losing games is one thing. Getting beaten by better teams is one thing. But losing because of your own mistakes is something else. The Huskers keep making mistakes. Many of these mistakes keep happening every week.

There’s no magic fix to doing away with mistakes. But the Huskers - and their brain trust - need to do some serious soul-searching: Why are these same mistakes happening? Where is the problem? There is some kind of disconnect here.

One thing is for sure. If you keep making mistakes, you’re not learning from your mistakes. Why? Some possible reasons...

For the players...
No fear of consequences.
Too much fear of consequences.
Not taking things seriously enough.
Not trying to learn from your mistakes.
Not caring enough. You don’t want to learn.
Lack of confidence. Feeling like you’re going to fail.

Good teams, great teams, make few mistakes. When they make one, they know how to recover from it. Huskers may need more talent, but the talent they have does not have to keep making mistakes.

What some have said about making the same mistakes:

“You never make the same mistake twice. the second time you make it, it is no longer a mistake. it is a choice”
- Lauren Conrad

“I guess if you keep making the same mistake long enough, it becomes your style.”
- John Prine

“One mistake will never kill you. The same mistake over and over again will.”
- Harvey Mackay

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 2

If we had a good DC we would be 6-2....not even saying Frost has been what he says but it would be good enough to be that this year. Giving up 24 points in the 4th to a bad Colorado team and letting Indiana cut you up all game is laughable. The schedule was there this year to be 8-4 and we threw that out the window with a garbage defense. The offense having key injuries doesn't help, but it would have been adequate to still get to 8. You shouldn't lose games where you have 500 yards of offense. 

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

In 2018 we lost many close games and could have ended up with 6 wins. In 2019 we won close games against NW and Illinois but we could easily be 2-6 right now.

While wins and losses are important, my biggest concern is that we are playing way worse in year 2 of Frost than we were at the end of year 1.

Regression.....

I said after the OSU game I think that Frost looked beaten, dejected and humbled.  He has played at and performed at some of the highest levels of football as well as for some of the greatest coaches in the game...He is not an idiot.  He can clearly see what is and is not working.  I feel confident he knows that his scheme needs tweaks. That his entire staff might not be ready for the bright lights of the B1G.  Hell, Frost might still be shocked how bad this team actually is.......

He appears to be a very stoic guy.  Keep it inside.  Don't put your business in the street. The Nebraska way.  I like that. I admire that. He is not going to throw kids under the bus.  He is not going to trash his staff. I really don't think he will fire anyone.  I can see him reaching out to contacts to come in and try to right the ship.  To instill the culture.  To tutor staff, fix some schematic issues.  Develop a scheme that meets his vision, but maximizes the players he has and can reliably get vs the players he wants...

He has some really hard stuff to sift through the next few months.  I do not envy him.  I do not want him fired.  Knew there was a reason he wanted 7 years.  Hard to bring your guys here and possibly have to ket them go.  Especially if the UF rumors are true they wanted Frost, but not his guys...

25 minutes ago, lo country said:

Regression.....

I said after the OSU game I think that Frost looked beaten, dejected and humbled.  He has played at and performed at some of the highest levels of football as well as for some of the greatest coaches in the game...He is not an idiot.  He can clearly see what is and is not working.  I feel confident he knows that his scheme needs tweaks. That his entire staff might not be ready for the bright lights of the B1G.  Hell, Frost might still be shocked how bad this team actually is.......

He appears to be a very stoic guy.  Keep it inside.  Don't put your business in the street. The Nebraska way.  I like that. I admire that. He is not going to throw kids under the bus.  He is not going to trash his staff. I really don't think he will fire anyone.  I can see him reaching out to contacts to come in and try to right the ship.  To instill the culture.  To tutor staff, fix some schematic issues.  Develop a scheme that meets his vision, but maximizes the players he has and can reliably get vs the players he wants...

He has some really hard stuff to sift through the next few months.  I do not envy him.  I do not want him fired.  Knew there was a reason he wanted 7 years.  Hard to bring your guys here and possibly have to ket them go.  Especially if the UF rumors are true they wanted Frost, but not his guys...

I agree with what you said about Frost, but to return Nebraska to relevance he has to be willing to part ways with some on his staff that he considers friends. If Mike Riley was able to fire Mark Banker who he had been with for nearly 30 years, Frost can do the same. I agree it will be tough, but I fear he will not make the right moves at the right time. 

2 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

I agree with what you said about Frost, but to return Nebraska to relevance he has to be willing to part ways with some on his staff that he considers friends. If Mike Riley was able to fire Mark Banker who he had been with for nearly 30 years, Frost can do the same. I agree it will be tough, but I fear he will not make the right moves at the right time. 

It cost Cally his job.  Didn't help Solich.  Probably let Riley stay a year longer than he should've. butI fear  you might be right.  

3 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

In 2018 we lost many close games and could have ended up with 6 wins. In 2019 we won close games against NW and Illinois but we could easily be 2-6 right now.

While wins and losses are important, my biggest concern is that we are playing way worse in year 2 of Frost than we were at the end of year 1.

Ooooof.  There is some reality I didn't want to think about.

2 hours ago, lo country said:

It cost Cally his job.  Didn't help Solich.  Probably let Riley stay a year longer than he should've. butI fear  you might be right.  

2 hours ago, lo country said:

Riley went 9-4 before being told to fire Banker.  Then Diaco was hired and Riley's fate was sealed.  

8 hours ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Hell, they're playing worse than they were at the BEGINNING of last year.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1

Husker Time Warp

Husker fans...consider the following blog comments:

“Nothing will change the direction of this program unless donors and supporters demand changes. This program is on a downward spiral and I for one am tired of spending my money on this calamity - embarrassing defense, turnovers, penalties.”

“For those who say recruits won't come to a cold climate in a small market I say look at K-State.”

“This is the new normal for Husker fans. Nobody thought we'd win. We were excited that we weren't blown out. The optimism for this program is sinking... It's almost indifference now days. We have no big recruiting classes on the horizon. We have a wretched defense but still can't get any recruits. We no longer coach anyone up. Our new normal.”

“The NU program is no longer respected and feared.”

“When we as Husker fans expect to lose big games against the big boy teams then something has gone seriously wrong... Defense wins championships 98% of the time and we have none.

“I've been a Husker fan since 1964, but after this past season, I have my doubts. Our Defense has gone from the Blackshirts to the Pinkshirts, they now play touch football.”

Were these comments made yesterday or today? No, they were made in... 2013... by Husker fans.

All of us are six years older now. We can easily compare these comments to now. We can think ahead six years to how things will be then. Or do we dare to?

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
- Albert Einstein

• Fire 1
7 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

Husker Time Warp

Husker fans...consider the following blog comments:

“Nothing will change the direction of this program unless donors and supporters demand changes. This program is on a downward spiral and I for one am tired of spending my money on this calamity - embarrassing defense, turnovers, penalties.”

“For those who say recruits won't come to a cold climate in a small market I say look at K-State.”

“This is the new normal for Husker fans. Nobody thought we'd win. We were excited that we weren't blown out. The optimism for this program is sinking... It's almost indifference now days. We have no big recruiting classes on the horizon. We have a wretched defense but still can't get any recruits. We no longer coach anyone up. Our new normal.”

“The NU program is no longer respected and feared.”

“When we as Husker fans expect to lose big games against the big boy teams then something has gone seriously wrong... Defense wins championships 98% of the time and we have none.

“I've been a Husker fan since 1964, but after this past season, I have my doubts. Our Defense has gone from the Blackshirts to the Pinkshirts, they now play touch football.”

Were these comments made yesterday or today? No, they were made in... 2013... by Husker fans.

All of us are six years older now. We can easily compare these comments to now. We can think ahead six years to how things will be then. Or do we dare to?

“We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.”
- Albert Einstein

Stop making sense of you will be ridiculed relentlessly.

No calls , no sales. Players who give effort and try to make plays will make mistakes.

I’d rather have the middle linebacker call defensive alignments on the field, stunt , and take chances and build camaraderie than think I was playing with automatons looking for stolen sideline signals and missing everything by design.

The game has become a controlled comedy show.

Let the kids play. Fire the coach who makes players do things that are obviously stupid.