Concerning

When Frost makes comments about players on the team just being OK, and not really caring about being great, players not being dialed in, Wandale Robinson having to call out upperclassmen for not buying in, is that not a reflection on Frost and an inability to inspire and relate to his players? 

Second, are these players starters? and if so, why are they starting if they are not bought in? I know Riley and Eichorst left this program in crumbles, but at what point do we question if Frost can motivate his players? I have not seen it, it seems like the older players don't like him.

• Plus1 1

The more I think about it, I'm not sure how much it really matters what Frost says in press conferences.

The statement was kind of disingenuous though because our offense mustered a good performance. It's pathetic that we allowed Indiana to score more points than they scored against Ball State, Rutgers, and Maryland. Doesn't matter if part of that was bad special teams, a turnover, or whatever the excuse is. We play like an extremely poorly coached and poorly disciplined team - almost every week.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 3

I think everyone involved in this process of replacing Pelini and Riley took poor angles.  I think fan base, current staff, and others involved(media) have pointed at how bad of shape this program is in because of previous regimes.  I think in doing so, we have forgotten that we have players who were recruited by those groups and maybe they are fed up with being the poster boys for lacklusterness.  This is why we need to get to an era of only Frost recruited players in a Frost scheme.  Until that happens, we don't know really anything about how this program can look.  

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1
3 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I think everyone involved in this process of replacing Pelini and Riley took poor angles.  I think fan base, current staff, and others involved(media) have pointed at how bad of shape this program is in because of previous regimes.  I think in doing so, we have forgotten that we have players who were recruited by those groups and maybe they are fed up with being the poster boys for lacklusterness.  This is why we need to get to an era of only Frost recruited players in a Frost scheme.  Until that happens, we don't know really anything about how this program can look.  

Alright, but Bo inherited players from Callahan and I am certain the narrative was strikingly similar. Point is, this is Scott's team. Scott's job is to motivate and get these boys to buy in. I am afraid this loser culture will permeate into the underclassmen. 

• Plus1 1

6 hours ago, SFW said:

Concerning??

Throwing a screen pass on 3rd & 2 when you should’ve 

!!!Run the dam ball!!!

Then you blame the players for finding ways to lose games, that’s concerning.

Pretty sure he didn’t call the old get tackled Fumble play.  That’s on Noah for not securing the ball.  

• Thanks 4

The bottom line is that if guys are not buying in after 2 years and are allowed to continue to play, that is on the staff.  If guys are seen not warming up properly ie sweats at Minnie and it is not corrected, that's on the staff.  TO have Wan'dale call them out after single handedly trying to win the game should embarrass those guys.  If we had a team with he and a few other guys mentality (Luke, JoJo, Noah, JD) we'd be in good shape.  

Frost gets a pass because he is Frost.  That's also the bottom line IMHO.  At the end of last year, going 4-2 with no blow out losses, Riley's guys and the culture seemed ok.  I know Frost said most of the guys had bought in after Purdue or NW (I can't remember the game). 

Maybe starting Jurgens over Farniok has caused a rift.  Keeping Mo for as long as he did.  Maybe guys are seeing the same concerns we have ie play calling (re-rea game threads), some poor coaching decisions (TO to start the half against CU), inability to adjust . Maybe I am player "X" and the guy in front of me is good for a penalty or 3 a game and nothing happens......Crap like that wears on a player.  And what game plan doesn't include force feeding the ball to JD as a receiver, RB, Duck R whatever......

Maybe after 2 beat downs, guys are starting to doubt the process.  Getting pushed around on the LOS.  Last night the announcers made the comment after the Noa strip and fumble that the DL who hustled down showed desire and want to and that was what made that play.  Not athleticism.....  

I remember when Frost made a comment about they know how to win and what works pointing back to UCF.  Very true, they have a blueprint, but that was for the AAC......Not the B1G.  

Before posters jump on, I think FROST was and is the right hire.  If he can not do this, no one can. Firing him is not the answer.  I look at his staff and I see some  inexperience.   Ruud, is the ILB's coach.....They are constantly out of position, bite on plays and appear to be a glaring weakness of the 3-4 D......ITS ONLY HIS FIRST COACHING GIG, but they are a glaring issue.  Most have only coach in either the AAC or PAC12.  Neither known for the smash mouth physicality of the B1G.  It's a different league.  Bo found out.  Fans found out.  The players found out and I think Frost has as well.  Is he too proud to recognize what works in one spot might not work in another.  Can he get that Husker Power he has talked about?

Frost does need time.  But  he also needs to take a hard look at everything around him.  The players, staff, methodology, philosophies, schemes etc....

I just expected a lot better product in year 2. I expected a better product after a 2 week bye.  For full disclosure, until Noah went down the O was playing great IMHO.  The Noah fumble stunk, but play calling, tempo etc looked good. That D though..... 

I said when Frost was hired he gets the time.  And he should.    I never said he'd be free of criticism....

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 4

I would agree with what most have said on this thread so far.  Yes, Frost should be held to a standard, he is getting paid bank to lead this program back to some sort of relevance.  His staff should be held accountable as well.  I just don't know if we can get a read on this program, this staff, until Frost has his players at each and every position on the field, in the locker room, and in the stands.  Its hard to get a feel for this team, staff included.

6 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

I would agree with what most have said on this thread so far.  Yes, Frost should be held to a standard, he is getting paid bank to lead this program back to some sort of relevance.  His staff should be held accountable as well.  I just don't know if we can get a read on this program, this staff, until Frost has his players at each and every position on the field, in the locker room, and in the stands.  Its hard to get a feel for this team, staff included.

I get it, Frost needs time, I will never refute that. But do people honestly believe that Riley's recruits are so imbued with a loser mentality and indolence that no matter what coach Frost does, these players cannot be motivated? 

I know Bo had a plethora of NFL talent by Callahan, I get that Frost was not put in the same fortuitous position; however, on paper and common sense tells me there should be enough talent to not get gang banged by Minnesota and lose to Indiana, and blow a twenty-point lead to an atrocious CU team.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
15 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Have other coaches been successful with other coaches recruits?  Why don’t you look at LSU. 

• Haha 1
31 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Have other coaches been successful with other coaches recruits?  Why don’t you look at LSU. 

31 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

So much this.  NU is not a team completely devoid of talent.  A lot of teams have coaching changes and still manage with another guys recruits.  I understand and will continue to use the square peg/round hole argument for some issues.  BUT the fundamentals are the same regardless of scheme/concepts.  Tackling, holding onto the ball, vision of the RB, lesson penalties, lining up correctly etc....We fail in a lot of the basics that kids learn from the jump.  

Frost's own success came from not only someone else's players, but from developing those guys into several NFL draft picks to include Shaqueem Griffin who he turned into a superstar.  I can't believe that there is not someone on this roster that can't fill that role....Maybe not to that success, but damn....

IMHO, I really think Frost and Co were naive to a degree and had a false  sense of the success at UCF and under estimated the B1G. The B1G has a lot of experienced coaches and multiple Blue Blood programs, not to mention rosters full of blue chip kids ie OSU, Michigan, PSU etc...

TO sought out Bobby Bowden.  No doubt he will seek out some advice.  Frost isn't stupid and ha been around some of the greatest coaches.  I'm confident he will get answers.  Might not be what he wants to hear though....Staff changes/scheme changes/player changes etc...

• Plus1 2