Scott Frost at half time?

KazLong

20 hours ago, BlitzFirst said:

Right but we weren't comparing Pac12 to Pac12.  We're comparing Pac12 to Big 10.  So, that's moot.  Also is the same for the 'getting behind' because lots of teams in the Big10 get behind as well and have to pass it more.  It's pretty much the same across the board in football that if your team isn't good, you're going to get behind and have to pass a bit more than run to try and make up for it.

I wanted to know what the OP meant when referring to the 'Pac 12 offense' that Scott Frost is running.  I assumed that it meant more passing than running.  I may have assumed wrong.

Here's the rub though...if it's spread offenses...Ohio State runs a spread and I doubt OP would consider their offense a Pac 12 offense.

The 2 best teams in the Big Ten in the past 5 years have been Ohio State and Penn State. They both have physical, spread offenses. The same type of offense which Frost is trying to establish at NU. 

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

And they got smoked for 38 points, 430 yards, and didn’t create any turnovers.

Meanwhile, the vaunted Wisconsin offense that some NU fans think we need to run couldn’t even crack 200 yards and only got 7 points. 

This is a good point, and is causing me to doubt some earlier assertions I had made about ball-control, power football. I still contend that Osborne's system would work in the B1G, because it has the option/sweep element that Wisconsin does not.

That isn't to say that I think what Frost is doing is futile. Wandale is tearing things up, as is J.D. in the space that we get from the spread. When we get Morrison, a better offensive line, and a few other guys here, we could be what Oregon was, defensive diving notwithstanding. I was very impressed that a true freshman could step up and move the ball like he did. When different quarterbacks can make the offense go, the scheme would seem to be pretty sound.

On 10/30/2019 at 7:29 AM, ColoradoHusk said:

The 2 best teams in the Big Ten in the past 5 years have been Ohio State and Penn State. They both have physical, spread offenses. The same type of offense which Frost is trying to establish at NU. 

And there in lies the key....PHYSICAL.  We have a a long way to go when the staff after 20 games talk about the team needing to get tougher to include practicing in the cold....I just shake my head......Frost has a job in front of him for sure.  I'm hard pressed to believe he knew how far we have fallen.  Then again, he asked for 7 years.  Maybe that just shows how smart/knowledgable he actually is....

Smart would have been at Florida and in the hunt for a Conference Championship.

We have problems, for the last 20 years we have had problems.  Those that expected this program to instantly turn things around were true fans, no question.

Still is and has been a talent issue for many years.  As much as I despised Pellini he was considered a defensive guy.  He never had the horses to stop the Big 10 elite either.  

I remember when Meyers said he would not take the Nebraska job, his dream job was Notre Dame,  where he interviewed and was supposedly offered, then off to Florida, with boat loads of talent, and alas he ended up at Florida.  Talent makes quick turn arounds.  

Oh and the poor little boys hearing bad words.  Our warriors feelings might be hurt.  If they are and this is what we have to deal with, Nebraska will never return.

It is supposed to be a man's sport, not a whiners sport.  

Frost had nothing to apologize for.  Sad we are at that level.  

14 minutes ago, lo country said:

My bad. thought it was Frost.  Then hell, Moos was a genius and knew how low we had gotten.

I think Moos actually did some analysis and had an idea.

Frost knew talent was a big issue, but let's not forget the couple of players that got rhabdo with what Frost referred to as an already reduced workout.

I'm certain Frost believed we'd be better this season, and I appreciate his confidence in what he and his staff could potentially do.  We lack both leadership and talent this year.  Frost will attack those issues head on.  This year's freshmen class is as impressive as we've seen in a while.

• Plus1 1
50 minutes ago, lo country said:

My bad. thought it was Frost.  Then hell, Moos was a genius and knew how low we had gotten.

Yeah, I think Moos knew that this was more than just an Xs and Os on the field problem, and in particular he realized how undisciplined the team was. Here's a quote from Frost from early last year:

"There's so many little things we have to make sure are right culturally," Frost said Thursday. "I remember when Bill Moos talked to me about being on a road trip at the end of [2017] and getting off the plane and not ever in his life seeing a plane with so much trash left on the plane. Sounds like it shouldn't matter in the game, those things matter, because those are the little things. When guys are attentive to do things right, little things are done right all the time, including in games."

Moos is a guy who has been an AD at four schools going back almost 30 years, with close to another decade as an assistant AD. He's seen some stuff. If he can say something's the worst he's seen, it's probably pretty bad.

• Plus1 4
21 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I think Moos actually did some analysis and had an idea.

Frost knew talent was a big issue, but let's not forget the couple of players that got rhabdo with what Frost referred to as an already reduced workout.

I'm certain Frost believed we'd be better this season, and I appreciate his confidence in what he and his staff could potentially do.  We lack both leadership and talent this year.  Frost will attack those issues head on.  This year's freshmen class is as impressive as we've seen in a while.

Good on both points.  Wan'dale laid down the gauntlet after the Indiana game....As a true Fresh.  I liked the comments that he's earned the right to be vocal (paraphrase).  

• Plus1 1