Scott Frost at half time?

KazLong

9 minutes ago, lo country said:

Good on both points.  Wan'dale laid down the gauntlet after the Indiana game....As a true Fresh.  I liked the comments that he's earned the right to be vocal (paraphrase).  

And what I find interesting is that a few of the older players seemed to rebuke what Wandale said - particularly Mo Barry. Maybe I read it wrong, but what he said about it "not being that bad" pretty much tells the story of the difference in expectations between the older guys who have been around and the young guys. 

• Plus1 1

12 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

And what I find interesting is that a few of the older players seemed to rebuke what Wandale said - particularly Mo Barry. Maybe I read it wrong, but what he said about it "not being that bad" pretty much tells the story of the difference in expectations between the older guys who have been around and the young guys. 

Gonna need a few more Wan'dale's for sure.  The athleticism and attitude....

56 minutes ago, Toe said:

Yeah, I think Moos knew that this was more than just an Xs and Os on the field problem, and in particular he realized how undisciplined the team was. Here's a quote from Frost from early last year:

Moos is a guy who has been an AD at four schools going back almost 30 years, with close to another decade as an assistant AD. He's seen some stuff. If he can say something's the worst he's seen, it's probably pretty bad.

I remember that plane anecdote.  After Frost signed the contract Moos probably said "Sucker!" and got him up to speed on what was going on with his beloved Huskers.  We've had a couple of games with lower penalty yardage but with the Davis bros it's kind of hard to tell if the team is more disciplined and doing the right things.  Someone should check out the plane after they get back from Lafayette.

Talent issue is strange.  Attrition adjusted recruiting rankings say we should have talent but the eyeball test says differently.  Player development has been poor for a long time.  I think we need to look into what these Life Skills (or whatever it's called) program people are telling the players.  Maybe they are telling them facts like few players make it to the NFL and they should focus on classes, blah blah blah.  That seems like it could demotivate players and almost guarantee that they don't make it to the NFL.  Maybe the message should also be we're Nebraska and we put a lot of players into the NFL so statistics don't apply.  I know I'm grasping at straws but something is going on in Lincoln.

12 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

I remember that plane anecdote.  After Frost signed the contract Moos probably said "Sucker!" and got him up to speed on what was going on with his beloved Huskers.  We've had a couple of games with lower penalty yardage but with the Davis bros it's kind of hard to tell if the team is more disciplined and doing the right things.  Someone should check out the plane after they get back from Lafayette.

Talent issue is strange.  Attrition adjusted recruiting rankings say we should have talent but the eyeball test says differently.  Player development has been poor for a long time.  I think we need to look into what these Life Skills (or whatever it's called) program people are telling the players.  Maybe they are telling them facts like few players make it to the NFL and they should focus on classes, blah blah blah.  That seems like it could demotivate players and almost guarantee that they don't make it to the NFL.  Maybe the message should also be we're Nebraska and we put a lot of players into the NFL so statistics don't apply.  I know I'm grasping at straws but something is going on in Lincoln.

Good points. I've said before that for years some of our guys seemed like their best year was their first.  That they regressed as they spent more time here.  Maybe the best development seen was under Bo with Cally's kids and some of his.  Suh, Prince, Enunwa, Cody Glen to LB, Jean-Baptiste to DB etc.....And he did move Baker to DL.........(not sure if that was good or bad) Even with these and others, it wasn't like progression across the board.  

If we go out on "project" players, walk-ons, mid-level guys (in addition the the blue chips) you have got to develop.  You need them or your are in a bind of having too many "ok" guys....

Just my .02.  

• Plus1 1
5 minutes ago, lo country said:

Good points. I've said before that for years some of our guys seemed like their best year was their first.  That they regressed as they spent more time here.  Maybe the best development seen was under Bo with Cally's kids and some of his.  Suh, Prince, Enunwa, Cody Glen to LB, Jean-Baptiste to DB etc.....And he did move Baker to DL.........(not sure if that was good or bad) Even with these and others, it wasn't like progression across the board.  

If we go out on "project" players, walk-ons, mid-level guys (in addition the the blue chips) you have got to develop.  You need them or your are in a bind of having too many "ok" guys....

Just my .02.  

I remember watching Dedrick Young as a true freshmen thinking that dude is going to be a stud as he gets older. Then that was it he never progressed from there and that's just one case our roster is littered with potential that never developed for whatever reason. 

• Plus1 1

32 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

It seems that we are all kinda grasping at straws.  I get the sense that you may be right about something going on, and that whatever it is, is kept close knit within the team and athletic department.  Or it could be nothing more than a trying to fight our way out of a poor culture with poor talent at the moment.  If there are people on here who have insider knowledge, it certainly isnt me.  Im just a fan.  All i know is what i have seen on Saturdays has been very dissapointing, and im worried that with all the dissapointment, if Frost may lose the locker room.....but as of last week he had the teams attention pretty well according to Kenny Bell.  

Anyhow, i think our offense will get better if we can recruit or develop a couple more wide receivers.  Im worried about our defense, i just dont know if we have the horses on our roster...we look too slow to compete with any decent opponent.  We desperately need a few linebackers and a pass rusher, and im not hearing much there in recruiting.  I hope we can be pleasantly surprised for once, but its looking more and more like this is gonna be a lot longer rebuild then we had thought.  Like 5 more years.  Hope im wrong.

3 hours ago, lo country said:

And there in lies the key....PHYSICAL.  We have a a long way to go when the staff after 20 games talk about the team needing to get tougher to include practicing in the cold....I just shake my head......Frost has a job in front of him for sure.  I'm hard pressed to believe he knew how far we have fallen.  Then again, he asked for 7 years.  Maybe that just shows how smart/knowledgable he actually is....

So you’re surprised that Frost is struggling with the physical aspect of the spread offense, given that the o-line was one of the most depleted position groups Frost inherited?

I don’t get you. In one thread you want the offense to have more play action passes, even though Indiana wasn’t stacking the box like you thought they were. Now, you are commenting on the lack of a physical offensive line, when they actually weren’t bad against Indiana when they were doing power runs with Wandale or McCaffrey.

Stupid penalties, bad turnovers (fighting for one extra yard when multiple defenders are by you, not securing the ball when you know you are about to take a sack), poor play calling, and horrible half time adjustments I'd lay at the feet of coaching. Better coaching and Nebraska would already be bowl bound.  This team should have coasted to a seven win season with this schedule. 

• Plus1 2