Alienation

3 hours ago, Husker03 said:

The problem I see with this argument is that there is no argument in many positions as far as depth and alternatives. There are none. There is no depth. There are no serviceable Jr/Sr backups at LB or DLine or O line. So, when you say play somebody else, you are saying play Freshmen and Sophomores. That solution is fraught with issues as well, among them being even if those guys are more talented, they are young and will make mistakes and the games will still be ugly and everybody will still be frustrated. The other thing to consider is, throwing in young talented players before they are mentally or physically ready can do more long term damage to them than good. A few snaps here or there, maybe not. But putting them in the fire and letting them get burned over and over isn't good for the athlete either. So, in some places, Scott is literally stuck between a rock and a hard place for now. 

If they are physically ready to play but not mentally (play call awareness) then play em...games are already ugly, I would rather it be ugly with potential than ugly with indifference 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

N is for nowledge: “You can tell some players ‘care’ more than others and that’s been true since Callahan through every coach to present day... many fans take losses harder than some of the players... it’s about. time we have a coach that does.”

Yes, talent matters... defense adjustments matter... good coaching is a necessary given. Caring matters.

One thing that’s not getting enough play is the generational thing. Frost played at a time when players came in with a certain mentality, a certain toughness of character and dedication to work. That’s not a given anymore. All young players today don’t have the same mentality about things.

Somehow, the Alabamas and Clemsons and Ohio States of the world either get players already with a great work ethic, or they know how to develop it. What Nebraska must find is a way to connect with a new generation of players who don’t look at the game the same way Coach Frost did when he and other like him were coming up.

Frost is frustrated because he just doesn’t see that same mentality that he has. He has to ease up on his frustration and better connect with the new mentality.

6 hours ago, knapplc said:

First year watching football, huh?

Guaranteed you’d be quite surprised. 

Just know from my experience frost pushes a new narrative after every loss if you are gonna change the culture start benching some of these bad apples until you get an attitude adjustment. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

7 minutes ago, huskerfan702 said:

Guaranteed you’d be quite surprised. 

Just know from my experience frost pushes a new narrative after every loss if you are gonna change the culture start benching some of these bad apples until you get an attitude adjustment. 

Really? And who in the holy **** are we going to replace these kids you want to bench? Don't you think the staff would have done it already if they could (like they did last season)?

The fact of the matter is that the B1G isn't the Big XII or Pac-12--the B1G would eat most True Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen alive, and looking at things like the two deep for both O-Lines and D-Lines in the B1G would tell you this. 

As for other positions, there's an alarming lack of depth (e.g. Linebacker) that is allowing the current kids to retain their positions. Even when they play out of position or don't pick up on coverage shifts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'd love to say something like 'let's bench these bad apples'...but it's not prudent to throw a bunch of Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen into the mix. Better to take the lumps now and have kids work and build the culture that you are looking for down the road than to sacrifice future gains for current day contentment. 

Outside of the secondary I don’t see any defensive group that couldn’t absorb a rotation just based of the amount of scholarship players within each position group. I’m not saying start the freshmen and bench them all but the narrative that that you can’t cut a guys snap count down significantly because this is the Big ten is lazy. Newsflash we are not competitive we don’t get any push and the least you can do is light a fire into some guys who don’t bring it. What I see even dating back to last season is complaints in the media or having guys run stairs but they’re just getting back on the field with the same lack of intensity we’ve seen over and over. When I see an adjustment from the staff I’ll accept his “coach speak” 

1 minute ago, VectorVictor said:

Really? And who in the holy **** are we going to replace these kids you want to bench? Don't you think the staff would have done it already if they could (like they did last season)?

The fact of the matter is that the B1G isn't the Big XII--the B1G would eat most True Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen alive, and looking at things like the two deep for both O-Lines and D-Lines in the B1G would tell you this. 

As for other positions, there's an alarming lack of depth (e.g. Linebacker) that is allowing the current kids to retain their positions. Even when they play out of position or don't pick up on coverage shifts. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

I'd love to say something like 'let's bench these bad apples'...but it's not prudent to throw a bunch of Freshmen or Redshirt Freshmen into the mix. Better to take the lumps now and have kids work and build the culture that you are looking for down the road than to sacrifice future gains for current day contentment. 

This discussion about playing underclassmen comes up almost every year.  Did any of our coaches ever start a large number of freshmen and unseat starters?  Whether they did or not doesn't matter because in subsequent years they played and we were still mediocre in the AS era.  I can understand hoping that we have some great talented underclassmen that can make a difference just sitting on the bench but we might be 

4327190104_3c34432d1d_b.jpg

It's kind of interesting when people claim what we should be doing is playing underclassmen....go with a youth movement.....etc.

Our team is extremely young with whom we are playing.  Heck, most of the guys from the classes that should be upper classmen are gone.

It sure seems to me that we have already gone with a youth movement.  What we need i to allow those youth to develop and grow in the program.....and add to them in the next few classes.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Roundball Shaman said:

N is for nowledge: “You can tell some players ‘care’ more than others and that’s been true since Callahan through every coach to present day... many fans take losses harder than some of the players... it’s about. time we have a coach that does.”

Yes, talent matters... defense adjustments matter... good coaching is a necessary given. Caring matters.

One thing that’s not getting enough play is the generational thing. Frost played at a time when players came in with a certain mentality, a certain toughness of character and dedication to work. That’s not a given anymore. All young players today don’t have the same mentality about things.

Somehow, the Alabamas and Clemsons and Ohio States of the world either get players already with a great work ethic, or they know how to develop it. What Nebraska must find is a way to connect with a new generation of players who don’t look at the game the same way Coach Frost did when he and other like him were coming up.

Frost is frustrated because he just doesn’t see that same mentality that he has. He has to ease up on his frustration and better connect with the new mentality.

There seem to be a good number of underclassmen on this current Huskers team that would tend to disagree with your premise.  Wandale spoke to it, mccaffrey, Nelson too.....again this has been something Nebraska has attracted for better or worse for 20 yrs....players that care...just not a lot.  They are ok being just ok.

i remember carriker talking about as he connected with a former Huskers in the nfl in dc.  He recalled telling this former player one of his biggest regrets was not winning a conf championship.  The pelini player responded by saying one of their greatest accomplishments was winning 9 games each yr.   right there tells you all you need to know.  Ok just being ok, Frost was not wrong.