Big Men Recruiting Please!!!

4 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

Now that Hoiberg is here, Can we finally get a Big Man! Somebody over 6'9"! I don't understand why its so hard for Division 1 basketball school like Nebraska to find a big man. Seems like other schools that aren't basketball powers like Nebraska can find them!

Don't bank on that. He had small lineups at Iowa State 

7 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I guess I don't understand Hoiberg's style of offense? Why wouldn't he want bigger and taller guys to get more rebounds? More rebounds equal more opportunities to score/shots. Can you help me understand Hoiberg/ someone not thinking this way?

I would suggest going through the Tweets and articles in this thread: 

I don't think he's going to turn away any height as long as they can run the floor and aren't a statue 

12 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I guess I don't understand Hoiberg's style of offense? Why wouldn't he want bigger and taller guys to get more rebounds? More rebounds equal more opportunities to score/shots. Can you help me understand Hoiberg/ someone not thinking this way?

You can also score more by out running and creating more shooting space than your opponents.  I know the rules have changed in the game however back in the day it was fun watching teams like Oklahoma put up 90-100 every night.

• Plus1 1
25 minutes ago, GBRFAN said:

You can also score more by out running and creating more shooting space than your opponents.  I know the rules have changed in the game however back in the day it was fun watching teams like Oklahoma put up 90-100 every night.

Those OU teams used 6' 9" Wayman Tisdale as their center so tall isn't as important as athletic.  I'm not saying we have anybody on the team as good as Tisdale, but that is more the type of player Hoiberg is looking for.  He doesn't need a 7' 2" Rich King type of player.

• Fire 1
  • 3 weeks later...

I disagree it is not 1985 anymore! UC-Riverside had a 7'1" guy on their roster. You need height on you're roster! You have to be able to play more than one style of  basketball. What happens if your shots aren't falling? Like in the first two games? A Losses? You have to be able  rebound. A TALLER PERSON has a better chance of getting a rebound over a shorter person UNLESS you can out jump that person! GET IT???

2 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

I disagree it is not 1985 anymore! UC-Riverside had a 7'1" guy on their roster. You need height on you're roster! You have to be able to play more than one style of  basketball. What happens if your shots aren't falling? Like in the first two games? A Losses? You have to be able  rebound. A TALLER PERSON has a better chance of getting a rebound over a shorter person UNLESS you can out jump that person! GET IT???

So you think that having a 7'1" glacier is what the Huskers need?  I'd rather have a 6'9" athlete.  You know - someone who can run, jump & shoot from outside 5 feet.  It's not 1985 is right, the game is played at a higher tempo with shooters spreading the floor.  Seven footers who can't move or shoot are disappearing in the game.

• Plus1 3
4 hours ago, ECisGod said:

So you think that having a 7'1" glacier is what the Huskers need?  I'd rather have a 6'9" athlete.  You know - someone who can run, jump & shoot from outside 5 feet.  It's not 1985 is right, the game is played at a higher tempo with shooters spreading the floor.  Seven footers who can't move or shoot are disappearing in the game.

This is nice in theory but you need big guys to some degree...or at the very least you need dudes that want to bang inside.

The Big Ten is a mans league and small teams are punished.  You better be tall, long and built.

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, teachercd said:

This is nice in theory but you need big guys to some degree...or at the very least you need dudes that want to bang inside.

The Big Ten is a mans league and small teams are punished.  You better be tall, long and built.

Man...I didn't realize how much this reads like a Grinder ad!  Ha

6 hours ago, teachercd said:

I think Ouedraogo, Cross & Walker all fit that bill. Cross probably a little less than the other two. Ouedraogo & Cross just need some time working with the training staff.

14 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

So how many misses before you go to plan B ? - You do know that it takes a lot of practice time to learn 2 systems. Plus the best way for a shooter to break a slump is to keep shooting.