Big Men Recruiting Please!!!

I’ll guarantee you that if Fred were to get a center on the roster  like the ones Purdue has had the last few years, he would be happy as a pig in mud. 

There are athletic 7 footers. We just have never had one that I can remember. 

The big ten is filled with teams with big guys. When you live but shooting threes, you have to have good rebounding too along with at least some inside game to make the defense respect it. 

• Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
On 11/20/2019 at 8:02 PM, BigRedBuster said:

I’ll guarantee you that if Fred were to get a center on the roster  like the ones Purdue has had the last few years, he would be happy as a pig in mud. 

There are athletic 7 footers. We just have never had one that I can remember. 

The big ten is filled with teams with big guys. When you live but shooting threes, you have to have good rebounding too along with at least some inside game to make the defense respect it. 

That can go both ways - make threes and a more athletic 6'9 guy can have room to use the quickness and most threes that miss bounce further from the rim.

On 11/20/2019 at 7:20 AM, ECisGod said:

So you think that having a 7'1" glacier is what the Huskers need?  I'd rather have a 6'9" athlete.  You know - someone who can run, jump & shoot from outside 5 feet.  It's not 1985 is right, the game is played at a higher tempo with shooters spreading the floor.  Seven footers who can't move or shoot are disappearing in the game.

How do you explain last nights' game??? We need height to help us to rebound and/or learn how to rebound. We cannot survive going up and down the floor jacking up shots!!! Exhibit A last nights' game               Going against a SouthernGoing against a Southern lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28. lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28.

• Plus1 1

Never said they shouldn't be able to move !! We need height!! Period!                         We need height to help us to rebound and/or learn how to rebound. We cannot survive going up and down the floor jacking up shots!!! Exhibit A last nights' game               Going against a SouthernGoing against a Southern lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28. lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28.

Never said they shouldn't be able to move !! We need height!! Period!                         We need height to help us to rebound and/or learn how to rebound. We cannot survive going up and down the floor jacking up shots!!! Exhibit A last nights' game               Going against a SouthernGoing against a Southern lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28. lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28.

On 11/20/2019 at 6:44 PM, ECisGod said:

I think Ouedraogo, Cross & Walker all fit that bill. Cross probably a little less than the other two. Ouedraogo & Cross just need some time working with the training staff.

How do you explain last nights' lack of rebounding then???         Never said they shouldn't be able to move !! We need height!! Period!                         We need height to help us to rebound and/or learn how to rebound. We cannot survive going up and down the floor jacking up shots!!! Exhibit A last nights' game               Going against a SouthernGoing against a Southern lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28. lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28.

9 hours ago, HUSKERBROW1 said:

How do you explain last nights' lack of rebounding then???         Never said they shouldn't be able to move !! We need height!! Period!                         We need height to help us to rebound and/or learn how to rebound. We cannot survive going up and down the floor jacking up shots!!! Exhibit A last nights' game               Going against a SouthernGoing against a Southern lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28. lineup that top to bottom wasn’t all that much bigger, the Huskers were outrebounded 54-28.

Were you at the game or just reading about it? If you saw the game you would know that last nights rebounding had nothing to do with size. It was all hustle. Southern went for every loose ball including rebounds. Nebraska was very lackadaisical about rebounding and going after loose balls.

You never said they shouldn't move? You said we needed a player like UC Riverside's 7'1" player. He was big and slow. Seven footers who can run are few and far between and they aren't coming to Nebraska. They are going to traditional powers like Duke, UNC, Kentucky, etc.

12 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

I think you will see him potentially go after some guys in the 6'8-6'10 range, think guys like Baylor always has--- not back to the basket type guys, more athletic/lanky bigs who can run the court. He is looking for all his guys to rebound.

That being said, the french kid will be a guy who will play much bigger than his height. 

The dude is only 17 he could still grow another inch or 2 for all we know

2 minutes ago, The Murphinator said:

The dude is only 17 he could still grow another inch or 2 for all we know

Yes, he could grow taller, but I am more thinking about the muscle they will put on him.

He wont be back to basket, they will keep him athletic but when he gets down low, he will be hard to move. He is someone who with the right coaching could be really good. 

3 minutes ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Yes, he could grow taller, but I am more thinking about the muscle they will put on him.

He wont be back to basket, they will keep him athletic but when he gets down low, he will be hard to move. He is someone who with the right coaching could be really good. 

Yeah. Give him a year in the weight room and he will be solid. Going to be a good one I think

This idea that it is easier to find 6'9 guys that can shoot...shoot the three...run the floor AND rebound...as opposed to a "true" big man is comical.  

The guys some of you are describing are LeBron James's...

Here is what Fred wants...

1.  A PG that can flat out RUN

2.  Two shooting guards that can do just that, shoot

3.  2 stretch 4's.

• Plus1 4
42 minutes ago, teachercd said:

This idea that it is easier to find 6'9 guys that can shoot...shoot the three...run the floor AND rebound...as opposed to a "true" big man is comical.  

Agreed, but Hoiberg would rather have the 6'9" athlete than the 7' guy who can't get up & down the floor.