Moose advice to Frost

I think after the season, Moose should sit down with Frost and not necessarily demand any coaching changes, but let him know in the best way possible that Coach Frost would benefit greatly from hiring someone who is seasoned in coaching that would be willing to come in and be sort of a second set of eyes coach (not sure of what the title would be, maybe just advisor) who is not tied to and with no loyalty to anyone in the coaching staff.  

This person could look at Roster management, coaching staff, game management decisions, etc...from an outside perspective and i believe give coach Frost some invaluable advice.  

Almost all all of our coaches are pretty young in terms of coaching at their level and could be missing a few things that would be glaring to someone looking at it from the outside in. 

Coach Frost is still the man to be here in my book and should be given 5 total years (barring any unforeseen drastic non football issues) before he starts to get on a hot seat, but that doesn’t mean he couldn’t learn from some older wisdom with no dog in the fight to help make/solidly some tough decisions that may have to be made. 

• Plus1 2

We could easily bring in experienced coaches as analysts (see 'Bama and the ~5,000 former coaches-turned-analysts on their payroll) and have them provide Frost advice and expertise. 

At the end of the day though, there are some things you can't be told and that Scott will have to figure on his own. Plus he's got Dr. Tom to use as a sounding board, and I would think that carries more cache than most available coaches we could bring in as a helpful analyst. 

And this conversation, IMO, is separate from the discussions re: replacing our DC and/or Special Teams coaches. Just so someone doesn't think I'm advocating (or not advocating) for one or the other. 

This is a lot more sensible in my mind than the "fire everyone" approach. Rather than fire our DC or any other assistant and continue the coaching/scheme carousel these kids have been under it'd make sense to bring in some respected former coaches as analysts. That allows the kids to continue learning the scheme, but brings in a new set of eyes and experiences to help the defensive coaches grow.

31 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

Does the position that Billy Devaney held while Riley was here still exist?  I think having someone like that on staff is a good idea.

In theory, that position may sound like a good position, but in practice it can lead to mis-management and different agendas and different ways of evaluating talent.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

In theory, that position may sound like a good position, but in practice it can lead to mis-management and different agendas and different ways of evaluating talent.

I agree but on the flip side of that it could also lead to different perspectives and evaluations that the staff is currently overlooking or thinking about differently.  Really important that it's someone who's the right fit.  We need someone like Alabama has in Butch Jones.

6 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

It’s possible, but only if the head coach allows it to happen.  In the end, it would be up to Frost to digest all the information and make informed decisions.  It’s his show, everyone else just helps make it happen. 

This is is a bigger rebuild job than prob most people including the coaches figured it would be.  During the course of the season, things are moving very fast with lots of things to prepare for and sometimes I think coaches can not see the trees through the forest.  

Another set of eyes can help see things the coaches may be missing. 

• Plus1 2
6 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

I agree but on the flip side of that it could also lead to different perspectives and evaluations that the staff is currently overlooking or thinking about differently.  Really important that it's someone who's the right fit.  We need someone like Alabama has in Butch Jones.

What Butch Jones does and what Billy Devaney did at NU are totally different.  Devaney was evaluating talent and deciding who to offer scholarships.

Butch Jones is an offensive analyst and gives the full-time assistants information and trends based on what he sees.  I am not saying this type of analyst wouldn't be valuable, it's 2 totally different roles.

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2018/10/17/nick-saban-explains-what-butch-jones-does-for-alabama/

1 minute ago, ColoradoHusk said:

What Butch Jones does and what Billy Devaney did at NU are totally different.  Devaney was evaluating talent and deciding who to offer scholarships.

Butch Jones is an offensive analyst and gives the full-time assistants information and trends based on what he sees.  I am not saying this type of analyst wouldn't be valuable, it's 2 totally different roles.

https://www.rockytopinsider.com/2018/10/17/nick-saban-explains-what-butch-jones-does-for-alabama/

Ah yea, I knew he did the recruiting part.  My bad, I thought he was an analyst as well.  I think our staff probably does a good enough job evaluating talent that we don't need that part and as you said, seems like it might create more mis-management and the like than it does good.  Anyways, my point is a want a Butch Jones type on staff.

2 hours ago, Archy1221 said:

I think after the season, Moose should sit down with Frost and not necessarily demand any coaching changes, but let him know in the best way possible that Coach Frost would benefit greatly from hiring someone who is seasoned in coaching that would be willing to come in and be sort of a second set of eyes coach (not sure of what the title would be, maybe just advisor) who is not tied to and with no loyalty to anyone in the coaching staff.  

Yeah, just like when Riley's first staff was going to be so great because we had like four guys who had been defensive coordinators before.