Purdue Week Pressers

Mavric

37 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

Also buy in seemed fine the 2nd half of last year. But now that we suck in year 2 we are back to buy in being the problem?

Some guys yes, other guys not so much. And some guys probably bought into Frost and his system, but didn't actually buy into the amount of work they personally needed to do to play at a high level and overcome their lack of development over the previous few years. This isn't just one single person that needs to flip the switch - buy-in isn't an either/or, black-and-white all at once for the entire team deal.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

Anyone who has ever coached sports should understand that there are a variety of different management styles.

Many coaches (Bo) implement top-down leadership and rule with an iron fist. Many times, this can make it difficult for players to rise up as strong leaders as everyone looks to the coach for discipline. 

Frost, on the other hand, ideally wants a team where strong veteran leaders hold everyone accountable and the coaches can focus on coaching rather than constantly cracking the whip. 

This method can create leeway for the entire team to slack off a little more like we're seeing this year when there aren't strong veteran leaders. Last year, the team had some strong leaders - Mick Stoltenberg being probably the strongest - which is why the team turned the corner. I think Frost has been waiting for those leaders to emerge again this year, and since no one has, he's having to tighten the screws on the team. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1

I see Dabo Sweeney yelling at players when they make a dumb mistake that costs their team a touchdown. I also see Saban do the same thing in almost every game. It is called coaching and tough love...we obviously have the wrong recruits. They have become accustomed to ice cream parties after losses and touchy feelie mumbo jumbo. Frost apologizing will only enable more bad behavior because there are no consequences for bad actions and dumb plays. It is clear that these players have become accustomed to losses and they do not care if they lose anymore. How low we have fallen!

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
5 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Anyone who has ever coached sports should understand that there are a variety of different management styles.

Many coaches (Bo) implement top-down leadership and rule with an iron fist. Many times, this can make it difficult for players to rise up as strong leaders as everyone looks to the coach for discipline. 

Frost, on the other hand, ideally wants a team where strong veteran leaders hold everyone accountable and the coaches can focus on coaching rather than constantly cracking the whip. 

This method can create leeway for the entire team to slack off a little more like we're seeing this year when there aren't strong veteran leaders. Last year, the team had some strong leaders - Mick Stoltenberg being probably the strongest - which is why the team turned the corner. I think Frost has been waiting for those leaders to emerge again this year, and since no one has, he's having to tighten the screws on the team. 

I think the way frost wants it is a great way. It’s how Osborne did it. BUT they had a strong culture already in place that was passed down and instilled in the kids day 1 they stepped on campus. The staff needs to be more involved until the culture has a strong foot hold 

11 minutes ago, huskerfan74 said:

I see Dabo Sweeney yelling at players when they make a dumb mistake that costs their team a touchdown. I also see Saban do the same thing in almost every game. It is called coaching and tough love...we obviously have the wrong recruits. They have become accustomed to ice cream parties after losses and touchy feelie mumbo jumbo. Frost apologizing will only enable more bad behavior because there are no consequences for bad actions and dumb plays. It is clear that these players have become accustomed to losses and they do not care if they lose anymore. How low we have fallen!

Hip hip.... :facepalm:

• Haha 1
5 minutes ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I think the way frost wants it is a great way. It’s how Osborne did it. BUT they had a strong culture already in place that was passed down and instilled in the kids day 1 they stepped on campus. The staff needs to be more involved until the culture has a strong foot hold 

You're probably not wrong on that. People need to remember he's still really new at being a head coach, and I'm sure this is the only time in his career as player, assistant coach, or head coach where he's had to deal with losing and bad habits to this extent. The thing i like about him though is he's pretty cognizant of the things that need changed and adjusted in order to get where he wants this program to go. We've got a tremendously talented and bright head coach

18 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

Last year, the team had some strong leaders - Mick Stoltenberg being probably the strongest - which is why the team turned the corner.

Definitely think last years senior class was a lot of leaders and this year we have Mo Barry and Darrion Daniels. It's always been interesting to me that in their fifth year in the program and with playing time neither Davis twin was named a captain, but the guy on campus 6 months was. I think our senior class is weak this year and likely the source of some work ethic issues. Guys like Eric Lee and Avery Anderson obviously never took a leadership role and Lamar just isn't that type of personality. So, we really lack older leaders and I hope the freshmen and sophomores stepping up makes a difference down the stretch. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
20 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Definitely think last years senior class was a lot of leaders and this year we have Mo Barry and Darrion Daniels. It's always been interesting to me that in their fifth year in the program and with playing time neither Davis twin was named a captain, but the guy on campus 6 months was. I think our senior class is weak this year and likely the source of some work ethic issues. Guys like Eric Lee and Avery Anderson obviously never took a leadership role and Lamar just isn't that type of personality. So, we really lack older leaders and I hope the freshmen and sophomores stepping up makes a difference down the stretch. 

Guys, listen. 

The issue isn't 'leadership' or 'accountability' or guys not 'stepping up'. That's just the same year in year out coach speak because coaches can't say what is simply true.

The players on the team just aren't very good. So stop hoping "next years seniors will be better leaders" or whatever other common scapegoats are used.

5 minutes ago, Dr. Strangelove said:

Guys, listen. 

The issue isn't 'leadership' or 'accountability' or guys not 'stepping up'. That's just the same year in year out coach speak because coaches can't say what is simply true.

The players on the team just aren't very good. So stop hoping "next years seniors will be better leaders" or whatever other common scapegoats are used.

I'm not saying that this is the end all be all, but it has an impact. I agree with what you're saying but some of the issues this year are leadership in my opinion. 

Give me a bunch of two and three star recruits that are humble, hard working, and hungry to be coached over entitled four and five star recruits that only care about getting air time. Look at what Wisconsin has been able to build with a bunch of tough as nails three and two star recruits. If you want to recruit four and five star recruits then you must be willing to coach them and discipline them when they are doing things that hurt the team like the Davis babies.

2 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

Give me a bunch of two and three star recruits that are humble, hard working, and hungry to be coached over entitled four and five star recruits that only care about getting air time. Look at what Wisconsin has been able to build with a bunch of tough as nails three and two star recruits. If you want to recruit four and five star recruits then you must be willing to coach them and discipline them when they are doing things that hurt the team like the Davis babies.

That's what Solich's 2002-03 teams had. 

Let's look at Wisconsin. They've built a great consistent program, no doubt. But what exactly have they accomplished that we would be looking at as markers of expectations here? 

2011 Big Ten Conference Champions - Ohio State was in a terrible throwaway transition year, Michigan was good but not worldbeaters in their first year under Hoke and Wisconsin benefitted from a fifth year superstar transfer in Russell Wilson.

2012 Big Ten Conference Champions - They were third in their division due to OSU and PSU being ineligible and backed their way into a title game against a Nebraska team starting defensive ends at D Tackle.

Since then they've mostly either been third in the B1G West or have made the championship game and have lost three straight. They're a great program and many would be happy to be who they are, but their chances of ever winning a national championship with their model over the last 20+ years are slim to zero. Their chances of winning a conference championship seem relatively small as well, with their only ones coming from a league that didn't have a conference championship game and then with special unique extenuating circumstances.

Michigan State's run from 2010-2015 would be a better example of a team of wildly overachieving diamond in the rough "humble 3 stars" imo. 

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 2

I agree With you that Michigan State did great with three star recruits but you can’t deny that Wisconsin is relevant. They were in the play off conversation until they lost to Illinois In the last second and Ohio state this past week. They have finished with 9 wins more times than we have had in the past two decades and they won a conference championship. When was the last time we won a conference championship! 

I am not saying that we should strive to be Wisconsin. I would rather strive to be Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, or Clemson. But I would take being like Wisconsin now rather than seeing my team crumble every time they play an opponent with a pulse. We are not favored to beat a completely decimated Purdue team with a 2-6 record. If that is not the definition of irrelevant, then I don’t know what the word means.

If our players don’t feel shame at the state they got this historic program to, then nothing will fix things no matter how hard Frost tries. I really want Frost to succeed. I see a lot of Tom Osborne in him but he needs to make some tough decisions to help this program heal and get back to being relevant.

• Fire 2
2 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

What exactly has Wisconsin achieved?

• Thanks 1