Purdue Week Pressers

Mavric

1 minute ago, Huskers93-97 said:

I am not nitpicking. If you read my post I said 17 points is good especially considering it was the 3rd string QB. But its like football 101 if you got like 9 in the box and they selling out on the run. Run a PA and your success rate is probably pretty high. No one is nitpicking- its calling it what it is. I think we may have left plays on the field by not doing more PA. No one is saying Frost did a s#!tty job so relax, some are just saying man we probably left opportunities out there.

Lo Country said the play calling sucked after McCaffrey came into QB.  I am refuting that statement.  The plays which Frost was calling were being successful.  I haven't gone through the entire game to see if there were 8-9 men in the box when McCaffrey was QB.  The play which Noa fumbled, NU was in 11 personnel with 3 WR's, with the offense spread out.  Indiana's D had guys guys "in the box".  The play was a fake screen with a slot fade Austin Allen.  Allen was breaking open, but McCaffrey was forced to scramble to his left when Indiana's D-linemen beat the NU line.  Luke did a great job of buying time, and hitting Noa for the first down until Noa fumbled.

This is basically a play action pass (fake screen with a TE going deep) which was blown up by NU's bad o-line.  Play action passes take a long time to develop, so is it smart to call a play action pass which would require the o-line to pass protect for a long time?  Frost's play calling with McCaffrey at QB did not "suck" at it was stated earlier in the thread.  He was calling plays to the strength of the personnel, which is what smart OC's should do.

• Plus1 4
  • Fire 1

4 minutes ago, ActualCornHusker said:

I thought the game Frost called on offense Saturday was an absolute masterpiece. 2nd & 3rd string QBs (1 who is true freshman) and the offense put up over 500 yds of offense with only 3 incompletions! If not for fumbles and penalties (execution), we probably win that game by 3 scores. 

Yes, the facts show that Frost called a very good/great game with his offensive play calling.  However, some fans' perceptions tell them otherwise.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Yes, the facts show that Frost called a very good/great game with his offensive play calling.  However, some fans' perceptions tell them otherwise.

There were some great plays from the game. Penalties and turnovers continue to kill this undisciplined team. 

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, Waldo said:

There were some great plays from the game. Penalties and turnovers continue to kill this undisciplined team. 

There were only 6 penalties for 44 yards for NU, but the timing of them killed NU.  Williams not getting on the LOS on the 4th and 1 conversion probably cost NU 7 points on that drive.  Fans ask why more WR's aren't playing, and that's a great example why.  If a backup WR isn't trusted to get lined up correctly, then he probably shouldn't play much.

• Plus1 7
  • Fire 1

9 hours ago, huskerfan74 said:

I agree With you that Michigan State did great with three star recruits but you can’t deny that Wisconsin is relevant. They were in the play off conversation until they lost to Illinois In the last second and Ohio state this past week. They have finished with 9 wins more times than we have had in the past two decades and they won a conference championship. When was the last time we won a conference championship! 

I am not saying that we should strive to be Wisconsin. I would rather strive to be Alabama, Ohio State, LSU, or Clemson. But I would take being like Wisconsin now rather than seeing my team crumble every time they play an opponent with a pulse. We are not favored to beat a completely decimated Purdue team with a 2-6 record. If that is not the definition of irrelevant, then I don’t know what the word means.

If our players don’t feel shame at the state they got this historic program to, then nothing will fix things no matter how hard Frost tries. I really want Frost to succeed. I see a lot of Tom Osborne in him but he needs to make some tough decisions to help this program heal and get back to being relevant.

First point is that yes they were in the playoff conversation for looking good early, but Nebraska was in the playoff conversation until the season started. Most teams who are undefeated well into the season are in the conversation until they lose and the fact is that Wisconsin loses a game every year to knock them out of any playoff conversation and it's usually because their offense can't keep up with true playoff contenders. If people want to be Ohio State the Wisconsin offense won't do it.

Also, why do people keep saying we aren't favored? Every line I saw had Nebraska as the favorite when they opened and continue to have Nebraska as the favorite.

2 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

Also, why do people keep saying we aren't favored? Every line I saw had Nebraska as the favorite when they opened and continue to have Nebraska as the favorite.

Before Indiana there was a post circulating, one of the computer rankings had us as the underdog on all 5 remaining. Purdue was essentially a push though, and they've looked bad since then. We're favored, it just looked like we might not be a few weeks ago.

• Plus1 1
3 hours ago, Born N Bled Red said:

I saw a great article yesterday that may speak to this. Pretty sure it was PJ Fleck, but it might as well have been Frost. He was talking about turning a program around. He basically said, and I'm typing from memory, so forgive me if I don't get it completely right,

"Turning a program around and and installing the right culture takes time. Year one is about breaking bad habits and getting everyone to do what they are supposed to be doing. What we are looking for in year two is that doing everything you are told to do becomes actually what you want to do. You want to do everything right because you want to be better, not because you were told. You're also a young team in year 2, perhaps the youngest, and that youth might cost younsomengames, but you get that experience and build for the future. In year 3 is when the program really takes off, you're still young, but young and experienced is a positive and everyone is finally on the same page."

Like Fleck, last year I think Frost was pleased with everyone doing what they were told to do. Judging by comments this week, it seems there may be a good portion of the team that are struggling to take that next step of "what you're told to do becomes what you actually want to do." And that is what Frost sees as being ok with being "just ok."

Seems like Frost spoke directly to this.

"They were doing everything we asked them to, but if you look at this week or last week, there’s a difference in doing it because we tell them to and doing it because they want to be great," Frost said. "I think we still have some kind of ratio on one side or the other of that fence right now. - https://247sports.com/college/nebraska/Article/Nebraska-Huskers-football-Nebraska-Purdue-Boilermakers-point-spread-137615264/

• Plus1 2

1 hour ago, Husker in WI said:

Before Indiana there was a post circulating, one of the computer rankings had us as the underdog on all 5 remaining. Purdue was essentially a push though, and they've looked bad since then. We're favored, it just looked like we might not be a few weeks ago.

Yep, Purdue and Maryland is what this season has come down to.  Have to win both to make a bowl.  It is very unlikely they can topple Wisconsin or Iowa, as sad as it is to type those words.  Ah well, Quick Lane or Pinstripe is still better than missing out altogether.

12 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

Sure hope none of the coaches say that they had a good, or their best practice today..  That will throw the fanbase into a frenzy. 

Held said they practiced outside because the team needs to be tougher.

Frost, Chinander and now Held have called the team soft this week.

• Plus1 2
  • Fire 1