The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

Woo hoo, we're back baby!!!!   We need to get youtube channels set up for players and recruits.  Order cash registers for fan day.  Start printing up the t-shirts.  Might as well put the facilities upgrades on hold.  All we need are studios to film commercials and live auction facilities for memorabilia items.  With all of our fan support we should be able to get one of the best teams money can buy.  Finally a level playing field!!!

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

If anything, I think this has a better shot of evening out the talent gap for some schools. 

If I am between being the 14th best player on Alabama or the best player at Kansas, and being the bet player at kansas means bobbleheads, jerseys and what not with my likeness are sold and I make money, I might consider that.*

*I understand in my example that would force this person to play for Kansas which would suck. 

How does a student do this without having an agent/manager to handle the deals?

My guess is that Adidas is already at work on a Wan'Dale Robinson signature shoe.

The other side of this is that the NCAA probably had its hand forced by California's Fair Pay to Play Act.
This is the answer for all of the schools who instantly felt a recruiting disadvantage to the California universities.

Look for "Help Wanted" signs and additional desks being wheeled in for university Compliance Offices in the wake of this.

3 minutes ago, cheekygeek said:

How does a student do this without having an agent/manager to handle the deals?

My guess is that Adidas is already at work on a Wan'Dale Robinson signature shoe.

To maximize how much money ends up in a student's hands I think the athletic departments could hire a couple of agents to handle all of the players.  This would probably be the most efficient way of funneling fan money to our purchased players.  Maybe the university has Adidas provide this service as part of their contract.  Probably the simplest way is no agent and just have people take a selfie with the players and hand them $2000 if they scored a touchdown or made a sack that weekend.  Once players get paid there is no way the NCAA can restrict how much they get paid.  It's going to be the wild west!  Thanks California!

When this goes through fans should drop their season tickets and use the money to buy the players.  The players shouldn't mind playing in empty stadiums as long as they get paid.  CFB attendance has been dropping anyway so schools may want to stop maintaining their stadiums and just play on soccer fields or local high school fields.  TV networks can use CGI to give the appearance that they're playing in one of those old timey stadiums.

8 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

To maximize how much money ends up in a student's hands I think the athletic departments could hire a couple of agents to handle all of the players.  This would probably be the most efficient way of funneling fan money to our purchased players.  Maybe the university has Adidas provide this service as part of their contract.  Probably the simplest way is no agent and just have people take a selfie with the players and hand them $2000 if they scored a touchdown or made a sack that weekend.  Once players get paid there is no way the NCAA can restrict how much they get paid.  It's going to be the wild west!  Thanks California!

When this goes through fans should drop their season tickets and use the money to buy the players.  The players shouldn't mind playing in empty stadiums as long as they get paid.  CFB attendance has been dropping anyway so schools may want to stop maintaining their stadiums and just play on soccer fields or local high school fields.  TV networks can use CGI to give the appearance that they're playing in one of those old timey stadiums.

giphy.gif

11 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

While I get where you are going, I also think you are missing some of the point.

Not all players will be monetizing based on their likeness but the higher level will and some will simply for being in things like video games. It wont be large money, but some schools might feel the brunt. That doesnt stop them from continuing to just print jerseys with no names on the back. 

I dont think it snow balls the way you suggest it will. It will just now allow a player to sign hi jersey and sell said jersey and make money. While yes, it could create an issue where a booster buys that jersey for 200K, i think that already happens. It will be up to the NCAA to control that(I actually dont even know if selling a jersey would be allowed with the new potential rule).

The issue is that in the current day, these kids likeness makes schools millions of dollars and they dont see that. I get that they get scholarships, but when you look at what NBA/NFL players make or even what colleges make, that doesnt even began to even it out.

• Plus1 1