The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

2 hours ago, cheekygeek said:

giphy.gif

Yes it is.  I'm currently reading "The Madness of Crowds:  Gender, Race and Identity" by Douglas Murray.  This is the kind of thing that people push without being fully thought out.  Careful, lest you be labelled as someone that supports universities and the evil NCAA that have been exploiting athletes for years!  We need social justice!  Hopefully some adults step in and take control of this nonsense.

I have no control over this and if it can be done fairly and treat the players, schools and fans with respect and fairly.....fine.

However, if college sports somehow ever gets to be like pro sports where everything is about contracts and how much money a player can make at this team compared to that team and those players are going in and out of the transfer portal based on endorsement contracts........I'm going to lose one hell of a lot of interest in these sports.

It's a long ways from that and this move isn't necessarily meaning it's going to get that bad.  But......

• Plus1 2
1 hour ago, Minnesota_husker said:

Not all players will be monetizing based on their likeness but the higher level will and some will simply for being in things like video games. It wont be large money, but some schools might feel the brunt. That doesnt stop them from continuing to just print jerseys with no names on the back. 

Just remember, it only took a player the caliber of Sam Keller to screw things up for EA Sports and NCAA Football. That doesn’t seem like the “higher level” player to me. I would bet for “equality” the NCAA gets their fingers in it and tries to level the benefit for all.

I’ll stand by my prediction that this will be the beginning of the end for amateur collegiate sports as we once knew it.

• Plus1 3

8 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I’ll stand by my prediction that this will be the beginning of the end for amateur collegiate sports as we once knew it.

Every new thing is labelled the beginning of the end of x y or z as we once knew it. Ill believe it when I see it. The game has already changed so much, thats kinda the nature of it

• Plus1 2
4 minutes ago, Nebfanatic said:

Every new thing is labelled the beginning of the end of x y or z as we once knew it. Ill believe it when I see it. The game has already changed so much, thats kinda the nature of it

That’s what us grumpy old men do, long for the good ole days. If I wanted it to be just another quasi NFL type deal, I wouldn’t care. But there’s a reason I much prefer college ball to the pros. 

• Plus1 3

My prediction is that this is less of a big deal than people make it. Some kids will make some money with merchandise or being in cheesy local commercials. It'll be a piece of recruiting, but it won't drastically change it. I don't think it will drastically shift the sport and if it does it'll likely be in favor of Nebraska and other big money schools.

• Plus1 2

The income from anything other than the academic institution as a student is already taxable.   Arguably, once a 'student' becomes an employee (which this sort of thing will likely create unless the money comes directly from third parties with absolutely no financial or other association with a school or state (a purely private invididual or business in other words), then existing tax law would almost certainly impose federal income and social security taxes (this is easily earned income by definition).  Additionally most states with income taxes piggyback their taxlaws after the federal laws so states will be collecting taxes as well.

I have the  impression that the NCAA included language to the effect that if something is done, it would be mostly left up to the states and the conferences as to how and what would be permitted.   This the NCAA rightly knows essentially dooms the entire idea to failure from the get-go as there would be no way to get unanimity amongst the 50 states and if the Feds get involved, it would be a complete disaster for all parties concerned.