The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

15 minutes ago, Dbqgolfer said:

I just hope that these kids realize that just because the NCAA allows it, doesn't mean it won't affect their amateur status.  In  golf that is a big thing if the student athlete wants to compete in amateur tournaments, which most do.

Eh at that point it's solely the players problem if they cant figure it out

• Plus1 1

Major universities found a huge cash cow in college football and basketball. They have milked that cow for a couple generations now. And the low of milk just seems to keep getting bigger and bigger.

But people don’t line up to buy expensive tickets or venture out into cold weather to watch college administrators or even the multi-million-dollar coaches. It’s always the “student” athletes that are the draw. And the game itself. But you don’t have a game without the player.

Years ago, the emphasis was mostly on the “student” part of the athlete. For a good while now, things have increasingly tilted toward the “athlete” part. Not for the lesser sports of course, but for the money-makers. And the less popular sports have largely had to rely on the money-makers to fuel their programs.

“Amateur” collegiate sports at the top level hasn’t existed much for 50 years. Older Husker fans remember how big the Huskers were in 1970 and 1971. These players were rock stars, and the Husker program had more feverish fans already than most NFL teams back then. Those players already deserved a piece of the pie. Some transitioned into mostly short NFL careers, but they had to make their way largely outside of football.

If remains to be seen how the new approach to players being able to benefit financially will take form. But this has been long overdue, and the game will survive and flourish.

The bigger threat to college football is the concussion and physical toll part of the game that has yet to be fully vetted. All the new research that’s coming out points to how much of a physical price football players pay to play the game. Basketball, not so much. There’s the usual knee and ankle and foot and hip problems that you’ll get from playing.

Bottom line is, you gotta get while the gettin’s good. Players have a relatively short shelf life, and they need to make it pay off while they can. They deserve a good piece of the pie, and it’s going to be a tasty slice if the system is fair.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1

The one thing that no one is giving credit (for lack of a better word) to the universities and NCAA for is that they provide the market for the players to showcase their abilities.  Does anyone really think that there'd be 90,000 fans filing into memorial stadium on Saturday's if the team wasn't connected to the University of Nebraska?  That has value to the players.

For the star player, this market helps them to become more valuable in the NFL draft. For the others, it provides them an education with an academic support system that some wouldn't graduate from college without.  And for others, it provides them with opportunities and connections for employment after graduation that non athletes don't have.

I'm not saying I'm opposed to players being able to use their likeness to profit while in school, just saying I don't think the current system is as unfair as people are making it seem.

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

This isn’t going to end well for my love of college sports. 

He'll have a tough up hill battle. This already played out in the courts I think several times so there is a precedent. This one is as recent as two years ago and included the "work study" argument he's using.

https://www.courthousenews.com/ncaa-student-athletes-not-entitled-to-minimum-wage/

• Plus1 1
  • 2 months later...

"NCAA president Mark Emmert said a consensus is growing among college sports leaders that college athletes will soon be allowed to make money from business ventures that aren't directly related to their athletic ability."

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/story/_/id/28550350/mark-emmert-clear-consensus-need-change-athlete-pay-rules

Why go to college at all? Go get paid. I know kids have to be three years out of high school for NFL, but maybe they can go the semi-pro route and get a little jangle while they age up. Let’s see those teams provide the a showcase venue like the colleges do

14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Why go to college at all? Go get paid. I know kids have to be three years out of high school for NFL, but maybe they can go the semi-pro route and get a little jangle while they age up. Let’s see those teams provide the a showcase venue like the colleges do

semi pro does not get the same exposure to get you into the top rounds of the nfl draft

My two cents.  Leave college the way it is.  Make the professional leagues provide a minor league system exactly how baseball does.  If you go to college, you go to college.  But professional leagues make enough money to be able to stand up a proper farm system where kids that don't want to go to college for "free"  have an opportunity to get paid while playing and receive excellent coaching.  Not sure why we are trying to make this so complicated.

2 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

My two cents.  Leave college the way it is.  Make the professional leagues provide a minor league system exactly how baseball does.  If you go to college, you go to college.  But professional leagues make enough money to be able to stand up a proper farm system where kids that don't want to go to college for "free"  have an opportunity to get paid while playing and receive excellent coaching.  Not sure why we are trying to make this so complicated.

You answered your own question.  The NFL doesn't want to pay for minor leagues when it has an excellent one paying for itself.  That would equal less profit, and this is capitalism is America 101. They would if they had to, but they sure aren't going to volunteer. 

18 minutes ago, runningblind said:

You answered your own question.  The NFL doesn't want to pay for minor leagues when it has an excellent one paying for itself.  That would equal less profit, and this is capitalism is America 101. They would if they had to, but they sure aren't going to volunteer. 

I agree by why should universities then be required to subsidize a minor league football league?  Paying players equals less profits and smaller athletic budget.  It also opens the Title 9 Pandora's box.  They are either amateurs or they are not.  If they are not, then the NFL needs to be the ones opening the wallet.