The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

2 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

I agree by why should universities then be required to subsidize a minor league football league?  Paying players equals less profits and smaller athletic budget.  It also opens the Title 9 Pandora's box.  They are either amateurs or they are not.  If they are not, then the NFL needs to be the ones opening the wallet.

The bold part is definitely true, but how many Universities want to give up the attention/income all together? Smaller ones sure but not the Power 5 schools, and those are the ones that still act as the NFL minor leagues.  The schools aren't required to be minor leagues, but they want to be.  The pool may shrink but I doubt it goes away.

• Plus1 1

I 100% support athletes being able to profit from their own likeness. It's honestly baffling to me that it was widely accepted that they should not be allowed it. I am completely against the University paying athletes to play. They get paid via free tuition and not having to start adult life off $70k+ in debt. 

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
8 hours ago, dspanther05 said:

My two cents.  Leave college the way it is.  Make the professional leagues provide a minor league system exactly how baseball does.  If you go to college, you go to college.  But professional leagues make enough money to be able to stand up a proper farm system where kids that don't want to go to college for "free"  have an opportunity to get paid while playing and receive excellent coaching.  Not sure why we are trying to make this so complicated.

This seems so simple. Take all those arena league, or whatever they are,  teams and make them an NFL minor. Draft them out of high school. Pay them. Develop them there. 

Most universities have put multiple millions into their facilities/staff and anyone that chooses to matriculate there should pay their dues. 

• Plus1 1
On 1/26/2020 at 10:03 AM, .1. said:

Man you'll have so many kids playing football that aren't even good. I don't think this is a good idea. By the way, there are way too many athletes as it is for universities to them afford paying for them

I don’t have have sympathy for universities. Check out those endowment funds or the preferential tax treatment universities are given on the returns on those funds? 

Take a look at what power 5 administrators are compensated. Power 5 football coaches? Talk about costs that are out of control. Take a look at the top 30 coaching salaries out there and compare that to how the NFL compensates their coaches. Want to save some money? Seems like a pretty good place to start (talking more about reform

on this - it’s not professional right?)

Kids need to be compensated fairly and should be able to make money off names etc. These coaches and administrators are paid like they are running a minor league team/business. Giving a kid an education is money, but anyone arguing that is fair market value for their services, especially for some of the elite athletes is out of touch. 

This isn’t the 70s/80s anymore. Look at what these athletes/coaches make now.

2 hours ago, VizionNE said:

I don’t have have sympathy for universities. Check out those endowment funds or the preferential tax treatment universities are given on the returns on those funds? 

Take a look at what power 5 administrators are compensated. Power 5 football coaches? Talk about costs that are out of control. Take a look at the top 30 coaching salaries out there and compare that to how the NFL compensates their coaches. Want to save some money? Seems like a pretty good place to start (talking more about reform

on this - it’s not professional right?)

Kids need to be compensated fairly and should be able to make money off names etc. These coaches and administrators are paid like they are running a minor league team/business. Giving a kid an education is money, but anyone arguing that is fair market value for their services, especially for some of the elite athletes is out of touch. 

This isn’t the 70s/80s anymore. Look at what these athletes/coaches make now.

Dude, these kids are already getting a free education off of their skills and name anyway. If they didn't have the skills and name they wouldn't have been recruited to go on scholarship at their dream school in the first place. And if these kids really build their name and skills up, they're going to make a ton of money in the NFL anyway. You also got to think of the fact that "what if a kid is a bust in talent, does an unforgiveable crime, plays absolutely terrible in game, has terrible grades, transfers, etc. Would you like the fact that that player drained your school, fans, community, etc of money if that ever happens? That would lay cause for the fans to reeeaally berate the "players" and not the "coaches" then knowing those kids are doing horrible while sucking their money up. You can see it now:

"This damn guy (kid) is sucking our money up while losing every single freaking game that's important to us, while throwing interceptions, can't rush the passer, can't block to save his life, etc"

I mean these coaches getting paid as much as they are is part of the reason why we're so quick to blame and dispense hate onto them the second they mess up. 

"This dude (coach) is getting paid THIS much and can't even win a freaking division, bowl game, beat our rival, etc."

It would just get too messy. These kids are getting enough in the free education they're getting now where the rest of us have to pay back tons of thousands of dollars in loans when we go through the same schools they're going to. They don't then need to get more money just for playing. If they get injured they can get surgery and come back. But if they keep getting injured then they won't make it in the NFL anyway since they're too soft. And they can't make a "living" off of just their college playing days. 

5 hours ago, .1. said:

Dude, these kids are already getting a free education off of their skills and name anyway. If they didn't have the skills and name they wouldn't have been recruited to go on scholarship at their dream school in the first place. And if these kids really build their name and skills up, they're going to make a ton of money in the NFL anyway. You also got to think of the fact that "what if a kid is a bust in talent, does an unforgiveable crime, plays absolutely terrible in game, has terrible grades, transfers, etc. Would you like the fact that that player drained your school, fans, community, etc of money if that ever happens? That would lay cause for the fans to reeeaally berate the "players" and not the "coaches" then knowing those kids are doing horrible while sucking their money up. You can see it now:

"This damn guy (kid) is sucking our money up while losing every single freaking game that's important to us, while throwing interceptions, can't rush the passer, can't block to save his life, etc"

Schools should be allowed to cut non-contributing players since they will essentially be getting paid once boosters figure out how to exploit this new rule.  That will allow them to buy a new player that could contribute.  I would be in favor of getting rid of the guaranteed 4 year scholarships.

5 hours ago, 4skers89 said:

Schools should be allowed to cut non-contributing players since they will essentially be getting paid once boosters figure out how to exploit this new rule.  That will allow them to buy a new player that could contribute.  I would be in favor of getting rid of the guaranteed 4 year scholarships.

What's to stop schools from literally bidding for the top recruits? The new perennial power houses would be Texas, Michigan, and other schools that have a ton of money. You'd literally have teams buying players off of other teams. Again,it would just get too messy. 

This is college football and not the NFL. I mean s#!t man, if that's the case, you might as well pay these damn kids in middle school and...... f#&% that..... kindergarten if we're so damn concerned about them getting injured or getting their "just dues" early. 

19 hours ago, hskrfan4life said:

What makes you think it's not happening already?

Oh we know damn well it's happening already. We aint got to point to all the sources and players we know who have been paid for already. But at least we shouldn't legalize the s#!t. It's not good. Weed, yes legalize it. Paying players? No sir wee! There's too much "negative consequences" with that happening versus legalizing marijuana which wouldn't hurt nobody. 

On 1/27/2020 at 11:13 PM, .1. said:

I mean these coaches getting paid as much as they are is part of the reason why we're so quick to blame and dispense hate onto them the second they mess up. 

"This dude (coach) is getting paid THIS much and can't even win a freaking division, bowl game, beat our rival, etc."

It would just get too messy. These kids are getting enough in the free education they're getting now where the rest of us have to pay back tons of thousands of dollars in loans when we go through the same schools they're going to. They don't then need to get more money just for playing. If they get injured they can get surgery and come back. But if they keep getting injured then they won't make it in the NFL anyway since they're too soft. And they can't make a "living" off of just their college playing days. 

I could go into a way to structure this, but a quick summary of it would be look at how LTIR works in the NHL (you’d have to have a cash cap, which seems relevant, but would be a broader discussion). 

Either way; you and I are going to disagree. My opinion is a degree itself is not fair compensation. It was probably closer 30 years ago, but with what coaches/athletes make, that model is outdated. 

College coaching salaries are ridiculous at the moment.  Pelini getting 2m to be a defensive coordinator? give me a break. These schools don’t pay that type of money if they aren’t making money left and right. Nebraska is no different. 

Start paying the players. Cap college coaches pay to compensate. If the coaches want the big money.. go pro. 

Entire collegiate model is such a sham as it stands. 

19 hours ago, .1. said:

Oh we know damn well it's happening already. We aint got to point to all the sources and players we know who have been paid for already. But at least we shouldn't legalize the s#!t. It's not good. Weed, yes legalize it. Paying players? No sir wee! There's too much "negative consequences" with that happening versus legalizing marijuana which wouldn't hurt nobody. 

Paying the players would hurt no one, either. College athletics departments would just go from being incredibly wealthy to just pretty wealthy.

On 1/28/2020 at 8:25 AM, .1. said:

What's to stop schools from literally bidding for the top recruits? The new perennial power houses would be Texas, Michigan, and other schools that have a ton of money. You'd literally have teams buying players off of other teams. Again,it would just get too messy. 

This is college football and not the NFL. I mean s#!t man, if that's the case, you might as well pay these damn kids in middle school and...... f#&% that..... kindergarten if we're so damn concerned about them getting injured or getting their "just dues" early. 

When they start charging big money for seats at middle school games and the middle school is getting millions in TV revenue, I will expect the kids to get compensated as well.

5 hours ago, VizionNE said:

I could go into a way to structure this, but a quick summary of it would be look at how LTIR works in the NHL (you’d have to have a cash cap, which seems relevant, but would be a broader discussion). 

Either way; you and I are going to disagree. My opinion is a degree itself is not fair compensation. It was probably closer 30 years ago, but with what coaches/athletes make, that model is outdated. 

College coaching salaries are ridiculous at the moment.  Pelini getting 2m to be a defensive coordinator? give me a break. These schools don’t pay that type of money if they aren’t making money left and right. Nebraska is no different. 

Start paying the players. Cap college coaches pay to compensate. If the coaches want the big money.. go pro. 

Entire collegiate model is such a sham as it stands. 

Dude, think about this. If you pay the college athletes whatever kind of money you're proposing, then the next thing you know, high school athletes are complaining about not getting pay. Next thing you know middle school kids are complaining. Then you have kindergarten and pre-k kids, and so on. It's too damn ridiculous. You want money when you play football? Then be gotdamn good enough to go pro! Simple as that! Not eeeeeeverybody deserves to be paid for playing football especially when they're a bust in talent, grades, moral, etc. Screw those kind of kids who don't want to put in the work to be "exceptional" in the game to where they're then rewarded with all the money and riches in the world when they do everything right. I mean you have to understand that some things in life are competitive for a reason. You can't just give every damn thing away like it's nothing. It loses it's value when that happens and it's similar to the "no kid left behind" act to where if you want good grades for real and you want to pass class, then you just simply got to suck it up, do well, act right, and put the work in. Point blank period. Don't need none of this "watered down" s#!t to make stuff simple for even the most incompetent kids out there that are going to piggyback off the schools funds and be lazy or act however they hell they want to act because they feel they can do whatever they want and still be compensated. It just doesn't work like that dude. You got to earn it. 

And you talk about "If a coach wants the big bucks than he should go pro" as if that would mean that programs like Nebraska would keep Frost or something. Or programs like Oklahoma would keep Lincoln Riley. Or Clemson would keep Dabo. Or whatever the hell big time program would be able to keep their expensive but valuable as hell coach then huh? Oh no no noooo. You got the wrong a$$ thinking on that one dude. I'm telling your right now. You would not want that to be how it is. If that were the case Nebraska wouldn't be able to celebrate a gotdamn thing historically such as Tom Osborne, Bob Devany, all our conference titles, being a blue-blood, etc. We wouldn't be s#!t off of that logic. And considering the way things have played out for Nebraska historically and not to mention how we got Scott Frost over everybody today, I'm in no mood to challenge the way these coaches are hired, paid, attracted, nor retrained to certain schools. In that regard Nebraska can get the pick of the litter as proven historically and recently today. Being the blue-blood we are with some of the best coaches historically, we should be the last type of program and fans thinking that way in regard to your last proposal of "coaches should just go to the NFL if they want more money". No noooo. That wouldn't do us not a damn bit of good right there.

But I understand. Yes, me and you are going to have to in fact respectfully disagree on this one. I get it. Not like that horse hasn't been beaten down to the ground enough already. But if we're going to discuss it while you getting all your points in, then we might as well let myself get all my points in, respect each other's opinion, and then leave it at that. Simple. 

5 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

When they start charging big money for seats at middle school games and the middle school is getting millions in TV revenue, I will expect the kids to get compensated as well.

Well s#!t man, it aint like college makes as much money as the NFL. I mean we could trickle on down with this s#!t right onto kindergarten but the point still remains the same.