The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

My biggest worry is if colleges starry paying athletes, then they’ll have to pay all athletes. And if they have to pay all athletes then sports like baseball, softball and wrestling to name a few will get cut in order to keep the bottom line as close to what it was as possible. Sure due to title nine a lot of women’s sports will have to stay around, but for so many kids that aren’t football or basketball players their opportunity to get college paid for by competing in a sport they love and have spent years honing their craft in may get taken away. We really need to take a step back and look at the whole pie here. I understand and don’t necessarily disagree with the thought process behind paying athletes, but with as cut throat as the NCAA is and by proxy these schools are, I don’t think risking all these other kids opportunities in other sports are worth it. Remember just a short time ago how Nebraska Omaha lost there stellar wrestling program and competitive football program in order for the school to move up a classification. And that was D2 kids who weren’t on a full scholarship and we’re already paying for some of the costs of college. People were pissed about the situation, and a lot of kids suffered. I’d hate for the situation to become widespread across college athletics 

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Gorillahawk said:

My biggest worry is if colleges starry paying athletes, then they’ll have to pay all athletes. And if they have to pay all athletes then sports like baseball, softball and wrestling to name a few will get cut in order to keep the bottom line as close to what it was as possible. Sure due to title nine a lot of women’s sports will have to stay around, but for so many kids that aren’t football or basketball players their opportunity to get college paid for by competing in a sport they love and have spent years honing their craft in may get taken away. We really need to take a step back and look at the whole pie here. I understand and don’t necessarily disagree with the thought process behind paying athletes, but with as cut throat as the NCAA is and by proxy these schools are, I don’t think risking all these other kids opportunities in other sports are worth it. Remember just a short time ago how Nebraska Omaha lost there stellar wrestling program and competitive football program in order for the school to move up a classification. And that was D2 kids who weren’t on a full scholarship and we’re already paying for some of the costs of college. People were pissed about the situation, and a lot of kids suffered. I’d hate for the situation to become widespread across college athletics 

That's my worry, too.  But with that said, they can go to a model where they break even.  $10 for a seat.  A few bucks for TV telecasts.  But we all know they won't go there.  Saban isn't coaching Alabama for 55K+benefits. 

Think about this.  In a lot if not most states, the football coach is the highest paid public employee by a wide margin.  I just googled "highest paid public employee alabama" and the top 2 are.................................Nick Saban and Gus Malzahn.

18 hours ago, southernoregonhusker said:

That's my worry, too.  But with that said, they can go to a model where they break even.  $10 for a seat.  A few bucks for TV telecasts.  But we all know they won't go there.  Saban isn't coaching Alabama for 55K+benefits. 

Think about this.  In a lot if not most states, the football coach is the highest paid public employee by a wide margin.  I just googled "highest paid public employee alabama" and the top 2 are.................................Nick Saban and Gus Malzahn.

Professional athletes - do the Lakers pay Alex Caruso the same they pay Lebron? 

Do we pay the women's national soccer team the same we pay the men's national team? No, we pay them proportional to the revenue they generate. 

I don't know why everyone thinks that is a revolutionary concept to apply to college athletics/athletes. Yes, the football players should get paid more than the women's diving team. And that is okay. 

Anyways, have they remade NCAA Football yet? 

• Plus1 1

Lots of potential rabbit holes here, many already brought up.  The total cost to go to college is easily $100K + for 4-5 years, especially taking into account out of state tuition.  For any athlete, leaving after 4-5 years with no debt and a degree is HUGE!  Absolutely huge!  If athletes want to go out and profit off their name and likeness, so be it.  Don’t require any school to do more than they already do.

• Plus1 1

1 hour ago, Atbone95 said:

Do we pay the women's national soccer team the same we pay the men's national team? No, we pay them proportional to the revenue they generate.

This is true for the World Cup but not for the U.S. Soccer Federation.

They should be paid proportionally but haven’t been the past few years. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
11 hours ago, 10_point_buck said:

Lots of potential rabbit holes here, many already brought up.  The total cost to go to college is easily $100K + for 4-5 years, especially taking into account out of state tuition.  For any athlete, leaving after 4-5 years with no debt and a degree is HUGE!  Absolutely huge!  If athletes want to go out and profit off their name and likeness, so be it.  Don’t require any school to do more than they already do.

I think the bolded (which is the title of the thread) is honestly the best solution. The NCAA can continue to consider the student athletes as amateurs, and the athletes can draw some kind of revenue off of their abilities.

• Plus1 1
14 hours ago, Atbone95 said:

Professional athletes - do the Lakers pay Alex Caruso the same they pay Lebron? 

I don't know why everyone thinks that is a revolutionary concept to apply to college athletics/athletes. Yes, the football players should get paid more than the women's diving team. And that is okay. 

Anyways, have they remade NCAA Football yet? 

"Revolutionary" is a great word to describe this as it would burn everything down. Using the merit model you describe would mean that non-revenue producing sports would have unpaid athletes.That would be a title IX nightmare. Egalitarian and elitist systems do not play well together. That is why some of us are reticent to entertain this "revolution".

• Plus1 2
13 hours ago, Moiraine said:

This is true for the World Cup but not for the U.S. Soccer Federation.

They should be paid proportionally but haven’t been the past few years. 

I agree that the Women's Soccer CBA is terrible. However, they do have guaranteed money contracts where I'm pretty sure the men do not.  That part keeps getting overlooked when numbers get discussed and it is a pretty big deal.

• Plus1 1
  • 2 weeks later...

24 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Coach Cook has said a few times that he'll use that as a recruiting tool, and it'll work. He'll be able to pull even more top talent here than, say, Texas or USC or even Wisconsin & Minnesota where they'll have to compete in a crowded athlete-endorsement environment.

"Come to Nebraska. We love our sports, and you'll be the biggest show in town. Here's what past athletes have made in Lincoln..."

• Plus1 2
  • 2 weeks later...