The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

18 hours ago, Mavric said:

Pretty sure no.

I think you're right, and I did some searching for it also yesterday afternoon and couldn't find anything specific saying there'll be a cap.

I'm more in the boat that believes the payers should be allowed to be compensated for playing, given that we have a capitalistic economic paradigm here and because the entire college football paradigm is one that is monetized...so why can't the players be paid if they want to be paid?

So that's a preface to this next thought, just to clarify that I don't really care...but won't this just be a thing where a player will set up a Patreon account doing ASMR relaxation videos of him quietly placing jockstraps into lockers or whatever...and then boosters funnel loads of money into the account?

Maybe that sounds dumb (not the ASMR video part; that part was intentionally dumb  ;)) but I think it's the fairly obvious next extension of all this.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 1

Pretty sure this will play out like professional sports, right?

If you bring a big personality and ambition, you can earn money off the field. But you still have to bring it on the field. Showboaters run the risk of being mocked, maybe even losing endorsements. Whatever hits you can generate on your own YouTube, Instagram, or Tik Tok channel should be your money to keep --- the free market will handle that. 

That might also mean that if your claim to fame comes from wearing a Nebraska jersey, you will not be allowed to wear your Nebraska jersey in a personal for-profit venture, just like the NFL, NBA and MLB guard their own uniforms and logos.  

• Plus1 2
3 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Pretty sure this will play out like professional sports, right?

If you bring a big personality and ambition, you can earn money off the field. But you still have to bring it on the field. Showboaters run the risk of being mocked, maybe even losing endorsements. Whatever hits you can generate on your own YouTube, Instagram, or Tik Tok channel should be your money to keep --- the free market will handle that. 

That might also mean that if your claim to fame comes from wearing a Nebraska jersey, you will not be allowed to wear your Nebraska jersey in a personal for-profit venture, just like the NFL, NBA and MLB guard their own uniforms and logos.  

Yeah, right now since it's new it's being thrown out to a lot of players. But before long they'll get more selective - things like the MSU kicker just flat out saying "I'm getting paid to plug this podcast, haven't listened" won't happen as much. I guess maybe those small ones like podcasts could continue if players are willing to accept a couple bucks, but the novelty will wear off and people will stop clicking links just because an athlete tweeted it. Then who the athlete is will be even more important - already matters as far as the number of followers, but will matter more as soon as people get tired of tweeted ads being everywhere.

3 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

will be interesting how state taxes work.  Most people don't know that NFL players pay state taxes for each state they play a game in.  I wonder if this will be sort of the same thing.  

wow, i did not know that. although some states do not have a state tax.

Researchers at universities have to give LARGE percentages, sometimes north of 50%, of their funding to their departments to help fund other stuff. E.g. Grad student stipends, etc. Wonder if any schools repeat the model in sports to help spread the money around to other athletes.

Also, has there been any sort of disclosure database announced? There has to be some system to keep in compliance with the university's rules. Just wondered if they were making it public.

1 hour ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

will be interesting how state taxes work.  Most people don't know that NFL players pay state taxes for each state they play a game in.  I wonder if this will be sort of the same thing.  

The reason that NFL players pay the state tax for each state they play a game in, is because their checks are considered "game checks".  With these college football players not making $ for each game, but rather earning their $ off of selling their NIL, I would imagine they pay taxes where they live while earning this $.  I did find it weird that Lexi Sun incorporated her "company" in California, given the high state taxes there.  But, since that's where she resides outside of her time at NU, it was probably easier for her to set up her business there.

• Plus1 1
8 minutes ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The reason that NFL players pay the state tax for each state they play a game in, is because their checks are considered "game checks".  With these college football players not making $ for each game, but rather earning their $ off of selling their NIL, I would imagine they pay taxes where they live while earning this $.  I did find it weird that Lexi Sun incorporated her "company" in California, given the high state taxes there.  But, since that's where she resides outside of her time at NU, it was easier for her to set up her business there.

i thought about this but would having a huge game say in Oklahoma for 2AM limit him from using clips of him in that game?  say if someone wants to ride that and throw some money at him?

4 minutes ago, MyBloodIsRed16 said:

i thought about this but would having a huge game say in Oklahoma for 2AM limit him from using clips of him in that game?  say if someone wants to ride that and throw some money at him?

he wouldn't be allowed to use the clips as the game footage is copyrighted. those rights are owned by the conference or school.

43 minutes ago, desertshox said:

he wouldn't be allowed to use the clips as the game footage is copyrighted. those rights are owned by the conference or school.

Martinez could pay for the rights to that game, but even then the $ isn't related to playing the game in the state of Oklahoma, the $ is related to the use of the video rights.  So, in that instance the tax isn't owed to the State of Oklahoma.

2 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

The reason that NFL players pay the state tax for each state they play a game in, is because their checks are considered "game checks".  With these college football players not making $ for each game, but rather earning their $ off of selling their NIL, I would imagine they pay taxes where they live while earning this $.  I did find it weird that Lexi Sun incorporated her "company" in California, given the high state taxes there.  But, since that's where she resides outside of her time at NU, it was probably easier for her to set up her business there.

Ya usually, state taxes say you have to live there or have to have earned the money in the state. So, if you play a game in the state and are paid for that you get taxed. However, if you sign a deal for your NIL and sign deals in your home state then you aren't getting taxed for going to play elsewhere as it isn't tied to the game. Also, I doubt most state officials/legislatures are going to want to see kids in their state getting hit with crazy tax bills. That'd be a PR nightmare they'd fix quickly.

• Plus1 1