The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

34 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I would imagine there are quite a few teams around that number as "super Seniors" don't count against the limit this year.

Ahh...so, it's a temporary situation.

It will be interesting to see how long it will take before Title 9 issues start being questioned.  Let's say the men's basketball team is offered a bunch of offers so they are all making $50,000 per year and nobody is offering the women's team.  How long before equal pay issues start being talked about?

• Plus1 1

Reading the RSS chat this morning, someone asked if there will be jerseys for sale with players names/numbers?

Got me thinking:  Can the Athletic Department sign a NIL deal with the players to sell those jerseys with the players getting a cut?  I haven't seen anything that says the NIL deals have to be outside the Athletic Department but it might be in there.

• Plus1 1

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:
Miami has 90 scholarship players?

OKAY so an Alumni/ booster- finds a way to funnel $500,000  yearly to Miami players for something that may or may not have any positive effect on his business. 

Like I said it was going to happen- it's already happening. EVERY Miami player is going to make $6,000 per year. Need just 2 more like that and every player is getting close to $20K. NICE recruiting advantage. MUCH bigger bang for your donor buck than throwing money towards a new facility upgrade. This is literally just the tip of the iceberg. 

If NU donors could just funnel say $5,000,000 per year towards this type of approach instead of say $155,000,000 towards a new facility. That would mean $60,000 more or less per player, per year. Nice recruiting advantage- for far less money. 

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, Nebraska55fan said:

OKAY so an Alumni/ booster- finds a way to funnel $500,000  yearly to Miami players for something that may or may not have any positive effect on his business. 

Like I said it was going to happen- it's already happening. EVERY Miami player is going to make $6,000 per year. Need just 2 more like that and every player is getting close to $20K. NICE recruiting advantage. MUCH bigger bang for your donor buck than throwing money towards a new facility upgrade. This is literally just the tip of the iceberg. 

If NU donors could just funnel say $5,000,000 per year towards this type of approach instead of say $155,000,000 towards a new facility. That would mean $60,000 more or less per player, per year. Nice recruiting advantage- for far less money. 

But when every big school has boosters funneling $20k to the players then it comes down to the facilities again. Also, I bet if Miami wanted new facilities this guy would get out his check book again. These boosters don't hesitate to throw money at the schools and players. Not to mention who's to say this guy wasn't already giving this money and now he's just doing it legally.

• Thanks 2
26 minutes ago, WyoHusker56 said:

But when every big school has boosters funneling $20k to the players then it comes down to the facilities again. Also, I bet if Miami wanted new facilities this guy would get out his check book again. These boosters don't hesitate to throw money at the schools and players. Not to mention who's to say this guy wasn't already giving this money and now he's just doing it legally.

NOT every school has the money, support or boosters. NU does, in spades. Right now even poorly funded teams are beating NU. Once the recruiting tilts towards those who know how to take advantage of NIL- those programs will dominate the lesser ones. That means HUGE differences in talent between an Illinois, Rutgers, Michigan State,  Maryland, Minnesota, NW, Purdue, Indiana etc and NU. Very difficult to overcome those types of talent gaps. There will be Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State- then another group pretty close behind- Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, then the rest will be a big gap away at the bottom. Forget the week in week out blood baths. 

As we all know most programs operate in the Red- NU does not- never has. 

It's already happening as I described it would- much more to come. We dont have to like what's happening- but to ignore it is to miss the boat. 

• Plus1 1

On 7/6/2021 at 12:36 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

NOT every school has the money, support or boosters. NU does, in spades. Right now even poorly funded teams are beating NU. Once the recruiting tilts towards those who know how to take advantage of NIL- those programs will dominate the lesser ones. That means HUGE differences in talent between an Illinois, Rutgers, Michigan State,  Maryland, Minnesota, NW, Purdue, Indiana etc and NU. Very difficult to overcome those types of talent gaps. There will be Ohio State/Michigan/Penn State- then another group pretty close behind- Nebraska, Wisconsin, Iowa, then the rest will be a big gap away at the bottom. Forget the week in week out blood baths. 

As we all know most programs operate in the Red- NU does not- never has. 

It's already happening as I described it would- much more to come. We dont have to like what's happening- but to ignore it is to miss the boat. 

On 7/6/2021 at 10:35 AM, Nebraska55fan said:

What is this other than a bidding war for college football talent?  Is this really what you want?

• Plus1 1
4 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

What is this other than a bidding war for college football talent?  Is this really what you want?

Ive stated MANY times, I dont like it at all. 

I dont like a lot of things that are very true. Sticking ones head in the sand and hoping something bad isnt happening, that is- changes nothing. It's real, it's happening, the Genie isnt going to be put back in the bottle thanks to the Supreme Court of our land. SO the only thing left to do is adapt. 

9 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

He just wants to let you know that he’s in control. Throws speculative crap out there and then presents as though it’s already happened. Does not have any insider knowledge but will pretend he does. 

10 hours ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

I think this has been going on under the table for a very long times.  Some programs, and entire conferences, are more aggressive with it.  One thing I like about the NIL is that it brings the $ out from under the table (probably?) and definitely helps level the playing field in the sense that some programs were much more willing to violate the rules than other programs.  Now everybody can buy talent...

• Plus1 1
45 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

He just wants to let you know that he’s in control. Throws speculative crap out there and then presents as though it’s already happened. Does not have any insider knowledge but will pretend he does. 

Shared several links showing that it is happening RIGHT NOW. 

Does it really hurt that much that you were wrong about something? No one even knows your name.