The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

11 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

Is direct contact with recruits now allowed? 

When Miami right now TODAY can show recruits that every single one of their players is making $6k per year off of ONE DEAL> Thats an incentive where a booster doesnt have to have with a recruit. 

When a recruit sees the starting QB is making $100K- they can figure out, that they will too if they are a starting QB. Kids are a bit smarter than youre giving them credit for. 

• Plus1 2
15 minutes ago, swmohusker said:

It will be interesting to see how this effects the amount of money schools receive from boosters. Why give to the school when you can give directly to the athletes and get advertisement from your contributions. 

EXACTLY. That is reality. Like it or not, that is the new equation. Hopefully NU doesnt have its head in the sand on this one like several of our posters here. 

2 hours ago, swmohusker said:

It will be interesting to see how this effects the amount of money schools receive from boosters. Why give to the school when you can give directly to the athletes and get advertisement from your contributions. 

I thought about that. And do facilitates matter anymore? Give them each 10,000 and a membership to Planet Fitness. 

Remember when ex-players like Suh and Alex Gordon gave back after they made it? I’m guessing those days are gone. 

• Plus1 1

14 minutes ago, krc1995 said:

I thought about that. And do facilitates matter anymore? Give them each 10,000 and a membership to Planet Fitness. 

Remember when ex-players like Suh and Alex Gordon gave back after they made it? I’m guessing those days are gone. 

That's disingenuous. Players will be making MUCH more than that and of course they will all be involved in supervised strength, conditioning and diet plans. THats a mutually beneficial deal. 

Whats real is INSTEAD of investing $155,000,000 in a new facility. You can take say a small fraction of that- say $10,000,000 per year and put towards players NIL- so over $100K per player. If the goal is to improve the program, why should it matter if its an upgrade from the #40 best facility to #10? Why not put it towards buying players? What gets you the best ROI? NOT facilities

It's the new equation and whoever figures out how to do it well will win a LOT of games. Like when we used to know how to do weights well and not very many others knew how. 

• Plus1 1
26 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

That's disingenuous. Players will be making MUCH more than that and of course they will all be involved in supervised strength, conditioning and diet plans. THats a mutually beneficial deal. 

Whats real is INSTEAD of investing $155,000,000 in a new facility. You can take say a small fraction of that- say $10,000,000 per year and put towards players NIL- so over $100K per player. If the goal is to improve the program, why should it matter if its an upgrade from the #40 best facility to #10? Why not put it towards buying players? What gets you the best ROI? NOT facilities

It's the new equation and whoever figures out how to do it well will win a LOT of games. Like when we used to know how to do weights well and not very many others knew how. 

You are a broken record 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1

When I heard the NIL debate I thought they were talking about getting paid from one's YouTube or whatever.  I didn't know it meant getting directly on a company payroll.  I don't see how this could be anything but a bidding war for talent.

One of many messes will be a recruit's star rating.  It was messed up enough before.  Now an additional star means thousands of dollars in his pocket.  U know the boosters, err I mean business owners are going to shell out for the 5*s.

• Plus1 5

1 hour ago, Notre Dame Joe said:

When I heard the NIL debate I thought they were talking about getting paid from one's YouTube or whatever.  I didn't know it meant getting directly on a company payroll.  I don't see how this could be anything but a bidding war for talent.

One of many messes will be a recruit's star rating.  It was messed up enough before.  Now an additional star means thousands of dollars in his pocket.  U know the boosters, err I mean business owners are going to shell out for the 5*s.

Actual scouting eyes will be more important than ever to find the true talent. I suspect those stars can be bought. At least a few of them. 

• Haha 1

More NIL Deals big and small. 

A Nationwide Junk Hauling company signed 2 Miami players for 20k Each. 

Nike found a way around the rules that forbid Athletic Apparel companies with deals with a team to put money directly in the pocket of said teams player- 100K

Fresno State twins set to make 7 figures. 

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/2021/07/08/the-weirdest-and-biggest-nil-deals-struck-by-college-athletes-so-far-deriq-king-master-p/7898698002/

Some pedestrian NIL deals- everyday stuff for some Bama players. I guess must have to disclose- I have NO NIL inside knowledge, but I do have this thing called google on my computer and when I type in the words NIL deals- magically pertinent information pops up. :dunno   

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/2021/07/08/the-weirdest-and-biggest-nil-deals-struck-by-college-athletes-so-far-deriq-king-master-p/7898698002/ 

More NIL deals and a new twist.

Now athletes can own their own businesses and pay themselves for promoting it. One player has big Pine Straw business. If youve ever lived in the Southeast you know how huge that business is. Big flatbeds invading your neighborhood with guys knocking on your door to ask if you wanted pine straw bales spread. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/so-far-these-5-favorite-nil-deals-sec-players-2021/

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, krc1995 said:

I would think that would end the gravy train.

I am wondering what it will take to provoke string action.  In another era it took a minor school (SMU) buying talent on the territory of a major one (PSU).

I guess maybe if the University of Texas loses a Signing Day Surprise to an Auburn, for an obvious NIL Auction, the NCAA and US Congress will discover that this is completely out of hand.