The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

A 3-star DT worth $500K, a 4-star WR $1 million: The sticker shock of college football recruiting beyond 2022

The Athletic reviewed three recruits’ recently signed NIL contracts, each with a different school-specific collective. The Athletic agreed to preserve the anonymity of all parties in order to get a better sense of the current market rates for top recruits. A four-star receiver landed a deal that will pay him more than $1 million over the next four years in exchange for his exclusive NIL rights. A defensive lineman ranked among the top 10 at his position received a three-year deal worth $1 million. And a three-star defensive lineman signed for $500,000 over four years.

“This is the hierarchy,” said attorney Mike Caspino, who has represented dozens of recruits in their dealings with collectives and executed the contracts The Athletic reviewed. “Five-star quarterbacks: They’re getting $2 million a year. The next-most sought after players are D-linemen, edge rushers; they’re getting seven figures. The next is a stud offensive lineman with quick feet — they’re in the high six figures. Everyone else is a hodgepodge, but in the six-figure range.”

Beyond the legality, there’s also the question of whether throwing seven-figure deals at unproven high school players or inexperienced portal transfers is a sensible investment. Saban called it an “unsustainable model.” Riley predicted an eventual “market correction.”

“You’re really guessing that this 18-year-old guy who has proven zero is worth a million dollars from somebody, somehow, however that money is getting there,” said the Power 5 head coach. “Like … what the f*** are we talking about? Why even want to be associated with this? We’re ruining kids.”

• Plus1 3
59 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I already care way way less about CFB. Kinda hope it all backfires on the schools and players and everyone gets screwed.

Somewhere the NCAA is sitting back and smiling... "We tried, it's your mess now, muwahaha"

Looking back, I guess those crab legs were not a big deal (Jameis Winston). Probably should give Reggie Bush his Heisman back too.  Cam Newton went were he got crooted the be$t.   

• Plus1 2

20 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I already care way way less about CFB. Kinda hope it all backfires on the schools and players and everyone gets screwed.

I get the sentiment,  but how would the players get screwed here? They're getting paid.  Most never make the NFL, so this is their chance to make some money playing ball.  Schools maybe if they waste a bunch of booster resources and don't get any better (self insult there).

2 hours ago, runningblind said:

I get the sentiment,  but how would the players get screwed here? They're getting paid.  Most never make the NFL, so this is their chance to make some money playing ball.  Schools maybe if they waste a bunch of booster resources and don't get any better (self insult there).

If they lose fans over this nonsense then they’ll lose the money to pay players. And there is no going back to the way it was so theoretically it could become women's basketball. I know, I’m being a little over dramatic. Just getting tired of hearing about and seeing all these NIL deals being given to HS players who haven’t done a damn thing yet in CFB. With the transfer portal, odds are very high that many will get paid by but never produce results for that school. It just seems really f#&%ed up to me. I liked the sport a lot better when they played for for school pride and the guys next to them, not for $$ NIL deals. It’s no better than another NFL now and maybe worse because it used to be something special.

And while I’m old man ranting, I really don’t like the vibe around Nebraska anymore. You go to anything on campus and it all seems so fake, perfect, commercial. Too much money hasn’t made any of it better imo. It sure hasn’t done anything for our football or basketball programs. Sure we have nice new shiny excessive facilities…..with teams that severely underperform. There’s something wrong when programs are that bad yet the money keeps rolling in.

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

If they lose fans over this nonsense then they’ll lose the money to pay players. And there is no going back to the way it was so theoretically it could become women's basketball. I know, I’m being a little over dramatic. Just getting tired of hearing about and seeing all these NIL deals being given to HS players who haven’t done a damn thing yet in CFB. With the transfer portal, odds are very high that many will get paid by but never produce results for that school. It just seems really f#&%ed up to me. I liked the sport a lot better when they played for for school pride and the guys next to them, not for $$ NIL deals. It’s no better than another NFL now and maybe worse because it used to be something special.

And while I’m old man ranting, I really don’t like the vibe around Nebraska anymore. You go to anything on campus and it all seems so fake, perfect, commercial. Too much money hasn’t made any of it better imo. It sure hasn’t done anything for our football or basketball programs. Sure we have nice new shiny excessive facilities…..with teams that severely underperform. There’s something wrong when programs are that bad yet the money keeps rolling in.

I get it, I do.  I just think it's highly unlikely the money stops rolling in.  Most people just don't care and will support things in any case because it's what they've always done. 

The bolded is what gets me also.  How do boosters still give millions to a University that had been trending down for a decade in (men's) athletics?  107 million donated for a huge new facility that most likely won't make all that much difference now.  The NIL deal is what will land recruits, along with a winning program,  and not fancy facilities.  It's just funny how we try so hard yet constantly do things slightly off the mark. 

• Plus1 1

I don't know. Selfishly, I would think this would put us in a good position. Not many athletic departments are as cash rich as UNL. We used to have the weightlifting/training edge for decades, then everyone caught up.

We've been needing a new edge since the Solich days, and this could be it. Pump the cash into the collective, hype it up, and watch the 4/5 stars come calling.

Do you guys wanna win or not? If you donate, they will come.

• Haha 1
26 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

Not the victory but the action; in the deed the glory.

[Eyeroll]

Okay, fine. Let's forget NIL, and keep going 3-9. That'll be fun, won't it?

Additionally, aren't we already subverting that quote with all the money some of the volleyball players are making, not to mention Casey Thompson?