The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

Nebraska is in a tough spot because they've been terrible since the riley hire. Why would an elite 4/5 star recruit go to Nebraska when he can get paid the same or more and play at a team that since he's been in elementary school won a lot more games and is probably closer to home?

I don't know what the solution is other than frost flips a switch this year and has a monster year that cements Nebraska as a legit contender in the big 10 and gets recruits and boosters fired up. But looking at the talent level and frost's track record that's unlikely.

Or frost is s#!t canned after the season and the athletic department and boosters go all in on a new coaching staff that has no guarantee of success considering what he would be inheriting.

I think athletes should be able to make money nil just happened at the worst time for Nebraska.

• Plus1 1
On 4/28/2022 at 8:26 PM, seaofred92 said:

God bless you Mav- you definitely know more about this than Billy Napier does. Florida doesn’t need to raise $20M- sounds like you should contact the NIL collective and head coach to let them know. 

Yep, no argument so you resort to attacking the poster.

What number is debunked that I posted? Texas A&M’s NIL collective funded deals in the single millions total directed towards the class of 2022 and is working to increase that. That doesn’t include any funds given to players already on campus or any comped goods and services either. Tennessee offered an $8M deal to the CA QB they have committed and the other figures come directly from the deals that are referenced in their articles.

The $20M is what the original stories about aTm's class was paid.  That number was debunked.  But I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Napier threw out the exact same number.

I’ll ask you the question that nobody seems to want to answer: How much money does Nebraska need in NIL funds available to them on an annual basis to compete at the national level? 

Nobody knows.  Especially people like you who keep trying to claim that you do.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Yep, no argument so you resort to attacking the poster.

The $20M is what the original stories about aTm's class was paid.  That number was debunked.  But I'm sure it's just a coincidence that Napier threw out the exact same number.

Nobody knows.  Especially people like you who keep trying to claim that you do.

Lol Mav- I said I dont think Nebraska has done enough overall to compete in this space. There is evidence of other schools putting together significant numbers and amounts of deals that exceed anything we’ve seen from NU publicly. It’s not crazy to think while we’ve got a good start (especially if the increased number to Mathis is true and we wind up landing him) that we also need to increase our overall commitment to land the highest quality talent out there.

All I asked you to do is give me a number and you said “I don’t know” while continuously telling me I’m off base saying NU will need a larger NIL budget to compete. If collectives at UF and TAMU are already at $5M and publicly working towards $20M it seems reasonable that NU will need $25-$30M available annually to compete with that. Asking us to compete at a national level with smaller NIL numbers will not work- even if it’s enough to put together rosters to win 8-9 games a year. That’s the entire point of what I’m laying out here and yet you’re flabbergasted for some reason that that’s going to be a requirement going forward. 

• Plus1 1
23 hours ago, Red Five said:

I think that 4/5 star athlete wants to make it to the NFL, and playing option QB isn't the way to do that.  You would have to seriously overpay for this to happen.

We wouldn't have that much trouble. We'd be paying our guy a lot less than Ohio State is paying their blue chip no matter what. 

11 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Lol Mav- I said I dont think Nebraska has done enough overall to compete in this space. There is evidence of other schools putting together significant numbers and amounts of deals that exceed anything we’ve seen from NU publicly. It’s not crazy to think while we’ve got a good start (especially if the increased number to Mathis is true and we wind up landing him) that we also need to increase our overall commitment to land the highest quality talent out there.

You claim that we're completely unprepared to compete in the NIL space then we out-NIL everyone for one of the biggest targets in the portal this year at what would probably be considered the most-needed position on the defensive side of the ball for anyone in today's game (three of the top five picks in the NFL draft).  You don't really have any basis for your claims.  You're just upset at the results so you're exaggerating things you assume are defficient.

11 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

All I asked you to do is give me a number and you said “I don’t know” while continuously telling me I’m off base saying NU will need a larger NIL budget to compete. If collectives at UF and TAMU are already at $5M and publicly working towards $20M it seems reasonable that NU will need $25-$30M available annually to compete with that. Asking us to compete at a national level with smaller NIL numbers will not work- even if it’s enough to put together rosters to win 8-9 games a year. That’s the entire point of what I’m laying out here and yet you’re flabbergasted for some reason that that’s going to be a requirement going forward. 

You don't know either.  You have no basis for the numbers you're throwing out.  I'm sure everyone in the country is "working toward" $20M.  I'm sure Nebraska is "working toward" $20M. 

First you belittle me for saying that $20M is a debunked number and now you're admitting that no one is anywhere near $20M. 

You are exaggerating what is going on elsewhere in the county and undervaluing what Nebraska is doing.  All without having any solid numbers to actually go on.

That doesn't make any sense other than you're just wanting to complain.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Fire 1
2 hours ago, Mavric said:

You claim that we're completely unprepared to compete in the NIL space then we out-NIL everyone for one of the biggest targets in the portal this year at what would probably be considered the most-needed position on the defensive side of the ball for anyone in today's game (three of the top five picks in the NFL draft).  You don't really have any basis for your claims.  You're just upset at the results so you're exaggerating things you assume are defficient.

You don't know either.  You have no basis for the numbers you're throwing out.  I'm sure everyone in the country is "working toward" $20M.  I'm sure Nebraska is "working toward" $20M. 

First you belittle me for saying that $20M is a debunked number and now you're admitting that no one is anywhere near $20M. 

You are exaggerating what is going on elsewhere in the county and undervaluing what Nebraska is doing.  All without having any solid numbers to actually go on.

That doesn't make any sense other than you're just wanting to complain.

Mav. You are seriously missing the entire point of what I am talking about and using one player outcome (which I am obviously extremely happy about and have publicly stated that multiple times) to erase the entire larger picture. You’re going to tell me with a straight face what NU is doing in the portal is the same thing as what TAMU and Tennessee are doing with NIL in the high school ranks? TAMU just signed the greatest high school class in the history of the sport. We just had a recruiting class ranked 42nd in the nation. We’re renting a kid from TCU for the next 7 months and signed a kid who Texas recruited over at QB. Tennessee signed a 5* QB to an $8M deal and we’re going to lose Raiola to OSU. Yeah that all sounds about equal to me. :rolleyes:

As far as the reference to other schools’ amounts and how much NU needs in order to compete with them, I am using publicly available information to determine we are not doing enough. I also then posted the amount based on that publicly available information that in my opinion, NU needs on hand annually to have in order to compete nationally. I have posted exactly what is happening else where in the country with links to source it.. you’re on here on your high horse as usual trying to cherry pick bits of info in order to parade around as the czar of information on this site. You’ve given nothing but your opinion on this in response to factual information posted and then fail to tell me why you disagree with the information posted because “you don’t know and I don’t either”. We’re allowed to disagree and that’s fine but landing Mathis doesn’t change or impact my point as it relates to NU’s need to be competitive in the NIL space in the future.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

@seaofred92 I think you are fighting against your own demons over this, and I hate to see it.  

What constitutes "national level"?  Because in the last 3 years, there have been so many teams that have won 10, 11, 12 games.  That is success on the national level imo.  Even all three military academies did it recently.  And those guys don't receive NIL.

I think that amount that gets spent on HS recruits is up to each team.  If A&M wants to, so beit.  If Utah doesn't, and has the same success, so beit.

I also think you are asking the wrong question about the Huskers vs everybody else.  I think you might be putting the cart before the horse.  We need to achieve winning 8 games in a season first.  And we need to win 6 with a bowl invite before we can think of winning 8....

I do get what you are saying, but keeping up with the NIL Joneses of college football is not a thing to depend on for success or making it on the national level.  

Wake Forest & Pitt had great years in ACC.  NC State too.  And Clemson owns that conf.

Ohio State owns the B1G.  They didn't make it to the CCG.

Oregon runs the Pac12 and Utah beat them twice last year - badly.  

Bama runs the SEC.  Georgia, LSU, A&M, Florida are all close, and even Kentucky went 10-3 without the deep pockets.  

Baylor and Oklahoma State have been doing well in the Big 12 in 2 out of the last 3 years.  And Cincinnati, Houston, BYU have been tearing it up, soon to be in the Big 12.  

The Huskers need to start winning again.  Build it up.  And soon the NIL pockets can get a few extra players to get us over the top, possibly.  But it is never guaranteed.

I hope this makes sense lol

• Plus1 3
2 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

Mav. You are seriously missing the entire point of what I am talking about and using one player outcome (which I am obviously extremely happy about and have publicly stated that multiple times) to erase the entire larger picture.

And yet you keep using the example of one player - that probably isn't even a real number - as an example of why we're so behind.

So I can't use one player as an example but you can.  Seems fair.

And that's not even admitting the part where you kept trotting out the $20M figure until it was repeatedly pointed out that it was bogus and now it's disappeared with nary an admission that you're entire early premise was based on a made-up circumstance.

• Plus1 1
24 minutes ago, Mavric said:

And yet you keep using the example of one player - that probably isn't even a real number - as an example of why we're so behind.

So I can't use one player as an example but you can.  Seems fair.

And that's not even admitting the part where you kept trotting out the $20M figure until it was repeatedly pointed out that it was bogus and now it's disappeared with nary an admission that you're entire early premise was based on a made-up circumstance.

$20M was directly mentioned by a sitting SEC coach as the number they’ll need to compete for SEC championships. That’s not bogus.

I posted multiple deals for multiple players. You’re saying signing Mathis means NU is on the same page nationally as the Tennessee's and TAMU’s of the world and I’m saying that while signing him is fantastic it’s not even close to the same thing. We can agree to disagree here but NU still needs to take another step up in this space to truly become an elite nationally relevant program again 

1 hour ago, admo said:

@seaofred92 I think you are fighting against your own demons over this, and I hate to see it.  

What constitutes "national level"?  Because in the last 3 years, there have been so many teams that have won 10, 11, 12 games.  That is success on the national level imo.  Even all three military academies did it recently.  And those guys don't receive NIL.

I think that amount that gets spent on HS recruits is up to each team.  If A&M wants to, so beit.  If Utah doesn't, and has the same success, so beit.

I also think you are asking the wrong question about the Huskers vs everybody else.  I think you might be putting the cart before the horse.  We need to achieve winning 8 games in a season first.  And we need to win 6 with a bowl invite before we can think of winning 8....

I do get what you are saying, but keeping up with the NIL Joneses of college football is not a thing to depend on for success or making it on the national level.  

Wake Forest & Pitt had great years in ACC.  NC State too.  And Clemson owns that conf.

Ohio State owns the B1G.  They didn't make it to the CCG.

Oregon runs the Pac12 and Utah beat them twice last year - badly.  

Bama runs the SEC.  Georgia, LSU, A&M, Florida are all close, and even Kentucky went 10-3 without the deep pockets.  

Baylor and Oklahoma State have been doing well in the Big 12 in 2 out of the last 3 years.  And Cincinnati, Houston, BYU have been tearing it up, soon to be in the Big 12.  

The Huskers need to start winning again.  Build it up.  And soon the NIL pockets can get a few extra players to get us over the top, possibly.  But it is never guaranteed.

I hope this makes sense lol

I get what you are saying I really do. But does anyone think those Navy teams with Malcom Perry or Wake this year was truly a national title contender? I’m a Wake Forest season ticket holder and go to every game- it was an awesome season and we still got smacked by Clemson and Pitt. That’s not competing at a national level IMO despite the win column number.

You’re referencing pre NIL successes for different teams in mostly different leagues with post NIL successes. They’re two separate things. Army may well win 9 games next year but does that make them a national contender?

To me the bolded is where we will disagree- DONU HAS to be at the very top 3-5 programs of NIL spending annually in order to be nationally relevant (CFP type team) going forwards. That doesn’t mean we can’t still have “successful” seasons at 8-4, 9-3, etc by not being in that group of NIL leader programs, but to compete at the very top we have to up our budget and translate this to the high school recruiting classes for it to really matter

• Fire 1
14 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

$20M was directly mentioned by a sitting SEC coach as the number they’ll need to compete for SEC championships. That’s not bogus.

Yeah, and that coach would have no reason to inflate that number, right?  Wouldn't want to fire up his donors to give more?  Especially when that exact number was reported (since discredited) to be the number for a conference rival.

A coach saying that is a number does not in any way, shape or form mean that is an actual number that any school is working with right now.  From all indications, it's probably an order of magnitude higher than basically anyone else - including the school that originally had that number reported.

Thus, it's a bogus number.

14 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I posted multiple deals for multiple players. You’re saying signing Mathis means NU is on the same page nationally as the Tennessee's and TAMU’s of the world and I’m saying that while signing him is fantastic it’s not even close to the same thing. We can agree to disagree here but NU still needs to take another step up in this space to truly become an elite nationally relevant program again 

You've repeatedly referred to one deal for $8M.  You continue to gloss over the part where it "could be up to" $8M.  Agents (and media outlets) are famous for reporting what the could amount "could be".  NFL deals are almost always reported in some funny-money terms that will never end up actually happening because they are back-loaded with non-guaranteed, voidable years that basically always get cancelled.  For all you know, that "$8M" deal could be a $100k deal with a $7.9M incentive if he wins the Heisman Trophy and the National Championship.  Yet you keep pointing to that deal and blaming us for not having a nearly $10M deal for Raiola.

You've not reported any other deal worth over $1M that I can find.  And even the $1M deals are over 3-4 years, so $250k-$350k per year.  Which is in the ballpark for what Martinez and Thompson are getting.

I'm not saying that makes us on the same level as UT or aTm.  You can quit putting words in my mouth.  I'm saying that I don't think we're nearly as far off as you're claiming we are and you don't actually have any facts to back up your case.  Just a bunch of speculation.