The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

14 hours ago, admo said:

I saw DRaiola committed to OSU. 

Can the HS recruits receive sign on bonuses? Are they? Do they?

Example would be, the HS junior gets paid for committing, then paid more when signing LOI officially. 

Not within the newly defined rules they can't.  However we all know that is exactly what is happening.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 5/12/2022 at 12:37 PM, Mavric said:

I don’t understand Barta’s reasoning about sitting out a year fixing anything other than obviously slowing down transfers and delaying NIL deals. I’d guess a lot of players would choose to not transfer if they couldn’t cash in on a big deal immediately. On 2nd thought, maybe that does fix this mess they’ve allowed to occur by curtailing both things.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 1
21 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

I don’t understand Barta’s reasoning about sitting out a year fixing anything other than obviously slowing down transfers and delaying NIL deals. I’d guess a lot of players would choose to not transfer if they couldn’t cash in on a big deal immediately. On 2nd thought, maybe that does fix this mess they’ve allowed to occur by curtailing both things.

Glad you win that argument with yourself. :D

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, BigRedBuster said:

Glad you win that argument with yourself. :D

If you read his rationale, you’ll know how that came about. After he makes them sit a year, then he has everything proceeding as it does currently. He conveniently left out how that change makes transfers and large immediate NIL deals obsolete.

26 minutes ago, JJ Husker said:

Yeah, I think the possibility exists now for guys to enter the Portal so they can "shop around" for the best deal and jump to wherever that is.  With immediate eligibility, there is no penalty for that or they can stay where they are.

If they would have to sit they would seem much less likely to move just to get more NIL money.  Unless that was a huge jump.

4 hours ago, JJ Husker said:

Iowa doesn’t have the $$$ to keep up. Barta’s worried and protecting his own.

• Plus1 3
On 5/13/2022 at 8:54 PM, Savage Husker said:

And I’m worried about publicly spending a fortune and then winning eight games over then next three years. 

we all have our fears. 

• Oh Yeah! 1
On 5/13/2022 at 8:54 PM, Savage Husker said:

To be honest I don't have a ton of sympathy for any P5 team complaining about NIL;  obviously some are going to have more money than others but they all have boosters with big money they could be using to put out competitive deals to retain or attract players. I feel badly for like MAC or Sun Belt teams with this but like Iowa State fans complaining about Hunter in basketball and Pitt fans complaining about Addison is ridiculous. This is the game now; get your boosters to stop being cheap if you want to not get left behind.

• Plus1 2

An acquaintance of mine works for a P5 school and talked to their compliance people about Barta's suggestion.   Basically Pandora's box is already open.  There is no going back on 1 time free transfers.   And he mentioned that soon we will see unlimited scholarships and unlimited coaches.  Within the next year both will be approved. 

53 minutes ago, sho said:

An acquaintance of mine works for a P5 school and talked to their compliance people about Barta's suggestion.   Basically Pandora's box is already open.  There is no going back on 1 time free transfers.   And he mentioned that soon we will see unlimited scholarships and unlimited coaches.  Within the next year both will be approved. 

For the life of me, I don’t understand why all of a sudden there can’t be any rules. 

3 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

It’s almost like they want college sports to fail so they can prove that rules are needed and they can build it back up. Idiotic. 

I've read more than once that they had a chance to be part of the conversation but Emmert just dug his heels in at every opportunity so everything just kind of passed them by and now .... well ....