The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

• 2 weeks later...

Ohio State believes it needs $13 million in NIL money to keep its football roster together

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Speaking to about 100 members of the Columbus business community on Thursday morning, Ohio State football coach Ryan Day put a Name, Image and Likeness price tag on what he believes it will take to keep the Ohio State football roster together.

That rate? $13 million.

To some schools engaged in NIL payments at the highest level right now, that number might sound small and quaint. To many other schools in the Big Ten, it may sound gigantic and impossible. 

Day said the Buckeyes have been gathering information by talking to recruits and their families and getting a sense of what other schools might be discussing with NIL deals. He said he believes right now top-shelf quarterbacks require $2 million in NIL money. Major offensive tackles and edge rushers he said are about $1 million.

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

Ohio State believes it needs $13 million in NIL money to keep its football roster together

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- Speaking to about 100 members of the Columbus business community on Thursday morning, Ohio State football coach Ryan Day put a Name, Image and Likeness price tag on what he believes it will take to keep the Ohio State football roster together.

That rate? $13 million.

To some schools engaged in NIL payments at the highest level right now, that number might sound small and quaint. To many other schools in the Big Ten, it may sound gigantic and impossible. 

Day said the Buckeyes have been gathering information by talking to recruits and their families and getting a sense of what other schools might be discussing with NIL deals. He said he believes right now top-shelf quarterbacks require $2 million in NIL money. Major offensive tackles and edge rushers he said are about $1 million.

So, 13 million per year.  I'm assuming OSU will also want to keep up with facilities which will require donors to fork out millions.

Not sustainable.

And...this is just football.

• Plus1 1
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, 13 million per year.  I'm assuming OSU will also want to keep up with facilities which will require donors to fork out millions.

Not sustainable.

And...this is just football.

I think the CFB facility war is over.  The NIL war will take that money.

• Plus1 1

On 6/2/2022 at 3:16 PM, Red Five said:

That rate? $13 million.

All of this sounds quite true. Just what I would have guessed.  Best team money can buy.   It’s gonna be a dirty business as well.  What will happen to these high dollar athletes getting big money that fail to produce?  Some big donors and big buck coaches might be very unhappy.  Might want a refund or retribution.   It’s a matter of time before the lawsuits come about breach of contract by either party.  A modern day Wild West show of sorts.  And sometimes paybacks are a real beech. 

12 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

Recruits will expect both. 

Ehh, not sure about that.  Even "bad facilities" are pretty damn good.  If I was 18 I would rather take $100k and be in a players lounge with 20 LCD TVs instead of getting no money and being in a players lounge with 50 LCD TVs.

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Ehh, not sure about that.  Even "bad facilities" are pretty damn good.  If I was 18 I would rather take $100k and be in a players lounge with 20 LCD TVs instead of getting no money and being in a players lounge with 50 LCD TVs.

Yeah….they are nice now. Just like ours was nice years ago and now we have to spend 160,000,000 again to impress recruits. 

that might slow down some. But, it’s not going away. 

• Plus1 1
20 minutes ago, Red Five said:

Why wouldn't you go to the place offering 100k and has 60 inch tvs though? It will always be an arms race. If everyone is paying you have to create another advantage somehow.

• Plus1 1

On 6/3/2022 at 9:41 PM, suh_fan93 said:

It's not that I don't believe him for the most part but 10-20K just to visit???  Come on.

Yeah its def possible that number is exaggerated but also Cravens was 5 star stud coming out of HS. Also I doubt these boosters all of the sudden realized they had 600k to spend on a DE, so that money was always going somewhere. 

• 3 weeks later...

I don't get the math. Only a handful of the biggest stars in the NFL make serious NIL money, and that's after proving themselves. Most have to bring some charisma and camera-savvy to the game, too. Now we're talking about EVERY four and five star coming out of high school or playing the portal expecting --- and often getting -- a seven-figure valuation?

Oh wait. I get it. It's not NIL money at all. It's alums funneling incentives to recruits. 

Years ago, when the topic was discussed, it was about how ridiculous it was for the 90 players on a college team to put in all the hard work while the NCAA collected billions for their uncompensated labor. "Pay the Players" was about each player getting a modest salary for the work they put in while presumably getting an education. That made a lot of sense. This doesn't. 

• Plus1 3
7 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

I don't get the math. Only a handful of the biggest stars in the NFL make serious NIL money, and that's after proving themselves. Most have to bring some charisma and camera-savvy to the game, too. Now we're talking about EVERY four and five star coming out of high school or playing the portal expecting --- and often getting -- a seven-figure valuation?

Oh wait. I get it. It's not NIL money at all. It's alums funneling incentives to recruits. 

Years ago, when the topic was discussed, it was about how ridiculous it was for the 90 players on a college team to put in all the hard work while the NCAA collected billions for their uncompensated labor. "Pay the Players" was about each player getting a modest salary for the work they put in while presumably getting an education. That made a lot of sense. This doesn't. 

A whole heck of a lot of the money comes from TV dollars.  Why can’t they just cut players in on that since the outlets are technically profiting of of the players’ NIL.

When the big ten negotiates, they also negotiate a pool for player “salaries”.  It would be transparent and market driven.  If you are good enough to earn a scholarship to an SEC team, you get paid like one.  You could even have tiers for scholarship, walk-on, etc…

edit: offer loyalty bonuses to players that stay on the team and graduate!  Boom!  Transfer portal problem solved too!

3 hours ago, funhusker said:

A whole heck of a lot of the money comes from TV dollars.  Why can’t they just cut players in on that since the outlets are technically profiting of of the players’ NIL.

When the big ten negotiates, they also negotiate a pool for player “salaries”.  It would be transparent and market driven.  If you are good enough to earn a scholarship to an SEC team, you get paid like one.  You could even have tiers for scholarship, walk-on, etc…

edit: offer loyalty bonuses to players that stay on the team and graduate!  Boom!  Transfer portal problem solved too!

Schools and conferences "can't" do this, because it would require unionizing or a collective bargaining agreement with the players, which would be the nail in the coffin for the idea/imagination/myth of amateurism.