The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

10 hours ago, Lorewarn said:

Schools and conferences "can't" do this, because it would require unionizing or a collective bargaining agreement with the players, which would be the nail in the coffin for the idea/imagination/myth of amateurism.

It seems worse to have a situation where an 18 year old QB is making $1,000,000 while the linemen protecting him make zero, and the coaching staff occasionally has to make allowances for their NIL stars to attend photo shoots for their real employers. That's the complete opposite of the college football team ethic.

Given that amateurism is already out the door, a college football players union makes more sense and flattens out the dominance of certain Conferences. 

• Plus1 1

8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It seems worse to have a situation where an 18 year old QB is making $1,000,000 while the linemen protecting him make zero, and the coaching staff occasionally has to make allowances for their NIL starts to attend photo shoots for their real employers. That's the complete opposite of the college football team ethic.

Given that amateurism is already out the door, a college football players union makes more sense and flattens out the dominance of certain Conferences. 

I'm guessing his NIL deal is contingent on him starting, just like the kid that went to OSU then transferred immediately when he realized he wasn't going to start.    Interestingly, didn't that kid go to Texas too?  Wonder what he's thinking right now?

43 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

It seems worse to have a situation where an 18 year old QB is making $1,000,000 while the linemen protecting him make zero, and the coaching staff occasionally has to make allowances for their NIL starts to attend photo shoots for their real employers. That's the complete opposite of the college football team ethic.

It's absolutely worse overall, but immediately is not worse for the NCAA protecting it's non-profit status and not opening itself up to more lawsuits.

But yes, clearly they have kicked the can down the road for too long being too scared and now everything is chaos.

3 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, right now, a HS and college golfers can play in summer golf tournaments, but they can't win any money.  Meaning, they can play in the same tournament as I do.  If I win, (yes, that's funny), I win money.  However, if they win, they can not accept the money.

Wouldn't that change with NIL?

The crazy thing is, they probably still can’t win money based on there abilities.

But the golf course could pay them just to be there.

Upside-down world we live in! 

6 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

So, right now, a HS and college golfers can play in summer golf tournaments, but they can't win any money.  Meaning, they can play in the same tournament as I do.  If I win, (yes, that's funny), I win money.  However, if they win, they can not accept the money.

Wouldn't that change with NIL?

Unless there is a state rule against it, the USGA changed their amateur rules a year or so ago.  Amateurs can earn up to $1,000 in a stroke play event and still maintain their amateur status.

• Plus1 1
5 hours ago, funhusker said:

The crazy thing is, they probably still can’t win money based on there abilities.

But the golf course could pay them just to be there.

Upside-down world we live in! 

Depends on the tournament. Like mine this weekend will probably end up with 4 or 5 flights.  There is a hs team that could win one of those flights. 

Darren Heitner, a sports and intellectual property lawyer who is involved in Florida’s NIL collectives, nonetheless called out Caspino on Twitter Sunday for “admitting to an NCAA violation. If (Rashada) took an #NIL deal, lesser or not, by picking the Hurricanes, then that’s a violation no matter what his contract states" after Caspino was quoted as saying "Rashada left millions on the table. Millions. He did not pick the highest offer."

While the NCAA has struggled to legislate the nebulous NIL marketplace, it has in recent months vowed a crackdown on the alleged inducement-laden or de facto “pay-for-play” deals.

Also, as noted, the NCAA’s Board of Governors “have told the investigative group at the NCAA, we want you to investigate these deals to see if they are pay-for-play or inducements. Which, honestly, we all know they are. What happens with that? We don’t know. The Board of Governors said they’d like to make it retroactive if it happens. It’s going to be a mess, if it happens.”

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...