The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Stopped reading when most of what he was relying on is a debunked number from what was supposedly going on at Texas A&M.  That guy likes to act like he knows everything but he just likes to hear himself talk (or see himself type, as the case may be).

Are we the best?  No.  But most reports are we are much better than what articles like this try to claim.  Just look at what Casey Thompson and Ochaun Mathis said last year.

I also think he makes some pretty legitimate points - the biggest one being that we all just kind of expect the big donors to take care of the NIL money. I think the collectives ought to be seeking large numbers of small money monthly donors. Just 100,000 people donating $10 a month to the collectives would have an enormous impact, and I think if done correctly, those numbers could be obliterated.

• Plus1 2

I generally like his stuff, but talking about the A&M recruiting amount taints some of what he is talking about.  Plus it seemed like he was treating the On3 NIL valuations as fact?

BUT, I agree 100% that our collectives need to be out there more in the public eye. 1890 was announced the 1st week of October and 2.5 months later they still don't have a webpage where fans can go to donate.  That is crazy.  

Every time something big/positive happens there needs to be messages from 1890 to donate.  There is no reason they weren't tweeting after after the Iowa game asking for donations.  Or right after Rhule was hired.  Or even yesterday right after everyone was signed.

100k people giving $10/month is $12M/year.  Make that your stated goal.  Have a huge fundraising campaign.

• Plus1 3
21 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I generally like his stuff, but talking about the A&M recruiting amount taints some of what he is talking about.  Plus it seemed like he was treating the On3 NIL valuations as fact?

BUT, I agree 100% that our collectives need to be out there more in the public eye. 1890 was announced the 1st week of October and 2.5 months later they still don't have a webpage where fans can go to donate.  That is crazy.  

Every time something big/positive happens there needs to be messages from 1890 to donate.  There is no reason they weren't tweeting after after the Iowa game asking for donations.  Or right after Rhule was hired.  Or even yesterday right after everyone was signed.

100k people giving $10/month is $12M/year.  Make that your stated goal.  Have a huge fundraising campaign.

I take it back, there is a website - https://www.1890nebraska.com/  And there is a "Donate Now" button.

When you google "1890 Initiative" the official website does not pop up on the 1st search page, all you get are links news stories from when it is launched.  SEO anybody?

And their official twitter page (@1890Initiatvie) has 2 total tweets (10/5 and 12/21) and has no links to their webpage in either their bio or tweets.

Its almost like they don't want anyone to donate.

• Thanks 1
19 minutes ago, Red Five said:

I take it back, there is a website - https://www.1890nebraska.com/  And there is a "Donate Now" button.

When you google "1890 Initiative" the official website does not pop up on the 1st search page, all you get are links news stories from when it is launched.  SEO anybody?

And their official twitter page (@1890Initiatvie) has 2 total tweets (10/5 and 12/21) and has no links to their webpage in either their bio or tweets.

Its almost like they don't want anyone to donate.

Do I get a t-shirt or get my name on a players helmet? 

16 minutes ago, Red Five said:

You get your name on the inside of their jock straps.

(Side note, does anyone 30 know what a jock strap is?)

I will say this only because my wife made me watch the fashion show with her once....

Rhianna's underwear/lingerie line makes stuff for men and there are fancy jock straps for sale on there website lol 

2 minutes ago, GSG said:

I will say this only because my wife made me watch the fashion show with her once....

Rhianna's underwear/lingerie line makes stuff for men and there are fancy jock straps for sale on there website lol 

I get the wife made you watch the fashion show but why did you willingly check out the jock strap section on her website?

• Haha 2
  • TBH 1
8 minutes ago, desertshox said:

I get the wife made you watch the fashion show but why did you willingly check out the jock strap section on her website?

Part of show was dude in jocks, but I've seen some ads for the website where it shows the women's and men's products 

Spoiler

OK I bought a fancy jock as a surprise ;) 

• Haha 3

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2022/12/21/23520298/unc-football-north-carolina-tar-heels-drake-maye-transfer-offers-nil-mack-brown

$5 million to get a kid to transfer.  This is the Wild West and personally I don’t care for it.  Are we going to see a cap in the future?  I think that would be a good compromise to allow some players to earn something instead of allowing programs with the deepest pockets to rule CFB.

• Fire 1

5 hours ago, chamrocck said:

https://www.tarheelblog.com/2022/12/21/23520298/unc-football-north-carolina-tar-heels-drake-maye-transfer-offers-nil-mack-brown

$5 million to get a kid to transfer.  This is the Wild West and personally I don’t care for it.  Are we going to see a cap in the future?  I think that would be a good compromise to allow some players to earn something instead of allowing programs with the deepest pockets to rule CFB.

Yeah….this is not good for college sports. 

These deals, I believe, cannot be affiliated with the schools.  There can’t be ‘connections’ or conditions that relate back to the schools.  

The trick is not paying players to play - for your opponent in effect.  The NIL is compensating for services rendered to the business / sponsor.  Organized donations as such may get pretty ify if there is a clear relationship to the school such as ticket holders, clubs, etc.   If coaches promise $$ from NIL then I’d say the school may be legally OK BUT still breaks NCAA pay for play (extra benefits) rules.  

NIL can’t ‘touch’ or be managed or influenced by the schools or ANY affiliated persons or orgs.  

In simple terms, my understanding of the SCOTUS ruling, is the schools and or NCAA can’t abridge a player’s right to earn money ‘on the side’ = free enterprise.  The Court did not enjoin the NCAA or its rules as such.  

Athletes are free to make money, legally, by any reasonable means, whether in school or not.  But the NCAA can still control what the school and any affiliated persons can do or provide.  

The real risk is the ‘trail’ (paper or electronic) between school officials and NIL orgs or sponsors.  Any coordination etc is probably stepping over the line.  

I would guess the connections are in fact massive in some places / cases.  Need a lot of burner phones and clandestine meetings to get the bags of cash to the right places / times / players.   Lol.  

And tampering by contacting players still at one school (not in the portal officially) is still a big NO-NO.  Getting caught (any player / prospect talks, for example), and troubles can follow.  

The solution:  end the NCAA or the big schools  need to withdraw.  That’s where this is all headed in my opinion.  A new CFL (college football league) of the big 64 whereby schools get out and form a new ‘league’ totally separate from all others in all sports, presumably.  This is the core reason why schools, if they can, want to join the ‘big two’ (SEC and Big Ten).  Musical chairs of positioning to be ‘in’ and not outside looking in.  There’s not room, economically, and practically for hundreds of schools. 

• 3 weeks later...