The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

Like I said:

A legitimate source close to the Gators Collective told me that the $13 million ask is a reality. I still don’t know if I believe that or not and perhaps we will never know. But I do know this: there was no mutual $13 million deal agreed upon as is being reported. The Gators Collective wants to be competitive in a big way, especially after some criticism of it last year and this year in certain recruiting situations. But this isn’t a group of morons either. They’re not going to pony up $13 million for a high school recruit who hasn’t thrown a pass. And the $9 million number thrown around after Rashada decommitted from Miami is out of whack as well.

I’ve heard as high as $2 million here for Rashada which to many feels very low compared to the ridiculous numbers being thrown out. So how does it go from $2 million to $13 million? And let’s pretend for a second that $9 million is real. How does it go from $9 million to $13 million? These are questions I’ve asked myself and asked of many college coaches around the country. And no one has any sort of answer. If the $13 million ask is legit, how the heck does his father or agent or whoever come up with that insane number?

“None of it makes sense,” one source told me with the promise of anonymity. “The NIL numbers for high end quarterbacks out of high school are all beyond inflated. The Tennessee kid (Nico Iamaleava) numbers are out of whack as well ($8 million). People I’ve talked to say $2 million over the course of a career is pushing it so where do these numbers come from?”

Link

• Plus1 1

5 minutes ago, gobiggergoredder said:

Let’s say the bar has been set at $2M.

Is that the kind of money Nebraska will need to come up with for Riola?

The difference between the ~6th best QB in the class and the consensus top QB is considerable, so I'd expect Raiola to be worth more. Not all of the kids are willing to consider schools based solely on their NIL offer though. If Raiola wanted the best NIL deal possible, he would get more than whatever Rashada was offered no question.

27 minutes ago, Husker in WI said:

The difference between the ~6th best QB in the class and the consensus top QB is considerable, so I'd expect Raiola to be worth more. Not all of the kids are willing to consider schools based solely on their NIL offer though. If Raiola wanted the best NIL deal possible, he would get more than whatever Rashada was offered no question.

Yes, it would be stupid for a QB like Raiola to go strictly by who is willing to pay the highest price.  He potentially has a very bright future and earn way more than he could dream of in college if he makes it to the NFL.  So, he needs to go where he thinks he can be developed and fit in well with a team to accomplish that.  The college NIL is a nice enticement on top of that.

• Plus1 1

26 minutes ago, JWHusker said:

This is probably a dumb question but how do companies or NIL collectives expect to profit from these NIL deals? Like if you give a QB a few million dollars how will they make a profit on top of all that money?

I wonder that too.  I think some are "not for profit", so essentially their income goes to staff salaries and company enhancements, etc.  I think the ultimate return or "profit" is their team competing at the highest level.  I think it's sort of an entertainment expense that wealthy boosters are willing to pay to make this happen.  We all can agree that Saturdays are a heck of a lot more fun when the Huskers are good.   That's how I see it anyway.