Jump to content


The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness


Dagerow

Recommended Posts

This will so much fun. I’m sure Weird Wally’s is long gone now, but can you see Taylor Martinez in his best 70’s plaid suit standing in the panel walled, fluorite lite, shag carpeted show portal saying “all of Wally’s cars run on P”

 

This is way over due 

Link to comment

6 hours ago, krc1995 said:

This will so much fun. I’m sure Weird Wally’s is long gone now, but can you see Taylor Martinez in his best 70’s plaid suit standing in the panel walled, fluorite lite, shag carpeted show portal saying “all of Wally’s cars run on P”

 

This is way over due 

 

nope, still there on "P" street. founder passed away a few years ago though but would have been able to do a deal with taylor had there been a NIL then.

Link to comment
On 6/3/2021 at 3:57 PM, ColoradoHusk said:

Benning also coaches high school football, so he probably knows nearly every coach and many of the kids.  I will give Lawrence the benefit of the doubt because he didn't put a ton of time and research into doing some side work.

Announcing games is really really hard.  My HS had a TV/Radio station and I took radio/tv class (easy A) and I announced a few of our basketball games and it is crazy hard to do.

 

Also, I would have thought Opendorse was a stupid idea but those guys are going to kill it, unreal.  

Link to comment
On 6/3/2021 at 3:59 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

Benning announces other classes- not just class A. This is a multi year observation- it's seriously baaad . Lawrence gets some of the basics wrong, formations etc- he gets the tacklers and ballcarriers wrong- has tough time keeping up. He just isnt an announcer- neither is Stai

I will also say this, watching HS film is hard enough, as in, trying to figure out what the hell is going on, dudes pulling wrong, guys lined up wrong, some teams run offenses that hide the ball really well.  If it is hard to watch film it has to be really hard to do it live.  

 

I had to scout some crap as C1 team years ago that ran a Wing T, from the side view on the stands it was a huge pain in the a$$ to figure out who had the ball.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment

Supreme Court rejects NCAA limits on education-related compensation to student athletes

Quote

Student athletes bound by the NCAA’s rules can accept education-related compensation for their participation in college sports, the U.S. Supreme Court unanimously ruled Monday.

 

The court's decision in the case, National Collegiate Athletic Association v. Alston, settles disagreement among lower courts over “amateurism” rules and whether the NCAA and organizations like it can legally prohibit student athletes from accepting compensation, in the form of complimentary laptops or other educational resources, for their labor.

 

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/supreme-court-rules-against-ncaa-student-athletes-144017123.html

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment

I don't have a problem with this quote in the tweet except for one thing.  It's trying to act like building lavish new facilities are for everyone except the student athlete....which is BS.  If it weren't for the student athlete, we wouldn't be spending $50,000,000 on new facilities.  It's specifically FOR THEM and to attract them.  They get access to these amazing facilities, tutors and trainers that the average student doesn't.  

 

 

Link to comment

7 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I don't have a problem with this quote in the tweet except for one thing.  It's trying to act like building lavish new facilities are for everyone except the student athlete....which is BS.  If it weren't for the student athlete, we wouldn't be spending $50,000,000 on new facilities.  It's specifically FOR THEM and to attract them.  They get access to these amazing facilities, tutors and trainers that the average student doesn't.  

 

 

 

I think most student athletes would very obviously prefer to have slightly worse facilities and be able to make money off their skills than have the obscene facilities arms race we're seeing today.

  • Plus1 3
Link to comment
Just now, J-MAGIC said:

 

I think most student athletes would very obviously prefer to have slightly worse facilities and be able to make money off their skills than have the obscene facilities arms race we're seeing today.

BUT....you have to agree that the facilities are being built for THEM.  

 

To your statement.  I bet that answer would be different for a recruit coming to visit compared to a player in the system.

Link to comment
2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

BUT....you have to agree that the facilities are being built for THEM.  

 

To your statement.  I bet that answer would be different for a recruit coming to visit compared to a player in the system.

 

All due respect but I feel like that's a skewed way of presenting it. They're being built to recruit the best players possible to ensure program success, which brings in higher levels of revenue for the school and lets the coaches and administrators keep their jobs.

 

Do the players get to benefit from them? Yes. Are these colleges spending billions on escalating and lavish improvements because they want their players to have the best facilities out of the kindness of their hearts? Absolutely not. Nothing about it is altruistic; it's serving the schools just as much, if not more, than the players. 

Link to comment
2 minutes ago, J-MAGIC said:

 

All due respect but I don't feel like that's true. They're being built to recruit the best players possible to ensure program success, which brings in higher levels of revenue for the school and lets the coaches and administrators keep their jobs.

 

Do the players get to benefit from them? Yes. Are these colleges spending billions on escalating and lavish improvements because they want their players to have the best facilities out of the kindness of their hearts? Absolutely not. Nothing about it is altruistic; it's serving the schools just as much, if not more, than the players. 

That's a very odd argument.


First, you agree with me from the bolded.  Then try really hard to disagree.

Link to comment

 

 

2 hours ago, BigRedBuster said:

BUT....you have to agree that the facilities are being built for THEM.  

 

To your statement.  I bet that answer would be different for a recruit coming to visit compared to a player in the system.

5 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

That's a very odd argument.


First, you agree with me from the bolded.  Then try really hard to disagree.

 

I am not agreeing with you; the facilities are not being built for them. The athletes catch tangential benefits from the facilities being built, but they are being built for the athletic departments and schools to make more money.

Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...