The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

Just now, BigRedBuster said:

Another thing that will be interesting (and annoying if it happens) is when a player starts doing something during games, outside of actually playing well, in an effort to up his/her NIL income.  Such as, some form of celebration after a TD to bring attention to a sponsor.

I'm fine with that as long as we are ahead and not getting blown out by 40 points

On 6/3/2021 at 1:22 PM, Nebraska55fan said:

I hope Blake is better at this NIL thing than he is at announcing Nebraska High School football State Finals. He was awful at that. Poorly prepared, all cliches, little insight and sounded like he had marbles in his mouth. 

Yes, but the real question is....what does Blake's wife think?  

1 hour ago, Mavric said:

Who will be the first "I'd like to thank school X for my time there.  But I'm entering my name in the transfer portal to seek better NIL opportunities elsewhere"?

That will ABSOLUTELY HAPPEN. 

Player A at University 100 sees how much money player B at his position is making at University 6. 

How long before player A decides he's transferring- for the cash? They like new cars, nicer apartments, pocket money right? 

This will make the rich richer and well funded- give highly supported programs like NU a HUGE leg up. ive been saying this about NIL since its very start. 

2 hours ago, Mavric said:

How much is that an actual problem?

I mean, athletic departments are raking in so much cash that they have to currently feed back into luxury amenities for players in order to maintain the perception that they aren't exploiting them. So, if some of that money starts going towards the athletes, and out of the hands of the corporations, and is beneficial to biggest schools with the biggest budgets already in a meritocratic way as far as more players going to them, seems like nothing will really change.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, Lorewarn said:

How much is that an actual problem?

I mean, athletic departments are raking in so much cash that they have to currently feed back into luxury amenities for players in order to maintain the perception that they aren't exploiting them. So, if some of that money starts going towards the athletes, and out of the hands of the corporations, and is beneficial to biggest schools with the biggest budgets already in a meritocratic way as far as more players going to them, seems like nothing will really change.

Not necessarily a problem.  But, we may see a big swing in what athletic departments spend money on and how much.  Such as, if this happened 10 years ago, would we see the $155,000,000 football upgrade going on right now?  Maybe at a much smaller scale?