The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

14 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

This might be more of an outlier but I think a lot of people can stop pretending that this won't be that big of deal and won't rock the college sports world now.

No offense but college basketball was maybe the most under-the-table-money sport out there so I don't really see how something like this is fundamentally changing anything? Instead of Duke or Kentucky funneling $2M through EYBL camps people are just going to do it in the open now. 

• Plus1 3
1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

No offense but college basketball was maybe the most under-the-table-money sport out there so I don't really see how something like this is fundamentally changing anything? Instead of Duke or Kentucky funneling $2M through EYBL camps people are just going to do it in the open now. 

You think they were paying players $2M and this won't carry over to other sports like football?

• Plus1 1

23 hours ago, ColoradoHusk said:

Martinez could pay for the rights to that game, but even then the $ isn't related to playing the game in the state of Oklahoma, the $ is related to the use of the video rights.  So, in that instance the tax isn't owed to the State of Oklahoma.

Professional sports charge a huge sum for rights to game film, unis, logos, everything that carries the brand. Huge corporations can rarely afford it, and only the brands with multi-year partnerships get to show the good stuff. The NCAA isn't likely to let this money walk out the door, either, and I don't know if individual schools would be allowed to strike their own deals with their own athletes.

Again, I'm pretty sure Adrian Martinez would not be allowed to wear a Nebraska uniform much less air game film in any for-profit venture without compensating the university or the NCAA, and that cost could well be prohibitive. 

• Plus1 2
50 minutes ago, RedSavage said:

You think they were paying players $2M and this won't carry over to other sports like football?

OK maybe not $2M; my bad there. But some of the payments revealed in the FBI probe were several hundred thousand a year so it was already significant money.

I just don't see how this is going to be some crazy or bad change. People will drop stupid money early, but if it doesn't provide value for these companies making the mega-offers, then the market will adjust and stop doing it. And for every extravagant mega deal there are dozens of smaller deals that are helping other lesser-known athletes get compensated. I just can't understand thinking this is a bad thing in any way. From a certain perspective this money has always belonged to them and they're just now getting access to it. 

1 minute ago, J-MAGIC said:

OK maybe not $2M; my bad there. But some of the payments revealed in the FBI probe were several hundred thousand a year so it was already significant money.

I just don't see how this is going to be some crazy or bad change. People will drop stupid money early, but if it doesn't provide value for these companies making the mega-offers, then the market will adjust and stop doing it. And for every extravagant mega deal there are dozens of smaller deals that are helping other lesser-known athletes get compensated. I just can't understand thinking this is a bad thing in any way. In a way this money has always belonged to them and they're just now getting access to it. 

The money has always been significant but this takes it to another level IMO.  I'm not opposed to the players getting their fair share but personally, college is so much better than pro sports and the closer it gets to that, the more disinterested I become.  It's the whole mega deals thing that has me concerned more than anything.

• Plus1 1

On 7/1/2021 at 10:50 AM, BigRedBuster said:

Another thing that will be interesting (and annoying if it happens) is when a player starts doing something during games, outside of actually playing well, in an effort to up his/her NIL income.  Such as, some form of celebration after a TD to bring attention to a sponsor.

Reminds me of Kenny Bell writing KCCO on his armbands.

BxGJaNQCIAAN-Rk.jpg

(lol cropping lol)