The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

12 hours ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Some pedestrian NIL deals- everyday stuff for some Bama players. I guess must have to disclose- I have NO NIL inside knowledge, but I do have this thing called google on my computer and when I type in the words NIL deals- magically pertinent information pops up. :dunno   

https://www.palmbeachpost.com/story/sports/college/2021/07/08/the-weirdest-and-biggest-nil-deals-struck-by-college-athletes-so-far-deriq-king-master-p/7898698002/ 

I don’t get marketing at all.  Is it really worth it for companies to spend this type of cash on “influencers”?

It’s kind of gross when you stand back and actually see the amount of money any “celebrity” gets for just attaching their name to a company/product.  And then people actually get swayed by it…

• Thanks 1

20 hours ago, funhusker said:

I don’t get marketing at all.  Is it really worth it for companies to spend this type of cash on “influencers”?

It’s kind of gross when you stand back and actually see the amount of money any “celebrity” gets for just attaching their name to a company/product.  And then people actually get swayed by it…

Let the sponsor beware.

But also the sponsee.  It won't be very long before a college student athlete is told to keep quiet about his opinions or get dropped and cancelled. 

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
On 7/10/2021 at 9:02 PM, funhusker said:

At the end of the day when it comes to donors- they MAY NOT CARE if they are getting a good ROI or not. It may simply be a way for a wealthy person to put money into the pockets of players with the sole goal of helping to improve the program WITH the possible cherry on top of getting a little bit of extra revenue or goodwill. 

As to ROI, it may very well depend on who the influencer is and what product is being promoted. On a digital platform- some of the influencer advertising is reasonably easy to quantify the immediate ROI. Some of it is a long term branding strategy, where the payback is tougher to figure out. 

• Plus1 2

More NIL deals. 

An interesting one Georgia's incoming Frosh 5 star QB inked a deal with Atlanta based company. Will be interesting how recruiting shakes out when NIL is in full bloom. Will it be like Miami where a player can see ALL players are making $6k on one deal- or will it be more like an Atlanta firm telling a player that if they sign with the Bulldogs, that said player will be signed for X amount. 

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Name-Image-and-Likeness-NIL-deals-endorsements-tracker-list-college-football-basketball-gymnastics-167253980/#167253980_12

23 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

More NIL deals. 

An interesting one Georgia's incoming Frosh 5 star QB inked a deal with Atlanta based company. Will be interesting how recruiting shakes out when NIL is in full bloom. Will it be like Miami where a player can see ALL players are making $6k on one deal- or will it be more like an Atlanta firm telling a player that if they sign with the Bulldogs, that said player will be signed for X amount. 

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/Name-Image-and-Likeness-NIL-deals-endorsements-tracker-list-college-football-basketball-gymnastics-167253980/#167253980_12

I envision that there will be a time, when a player has his signing day (to sign his scholarship papers like they always have had) and at the same time, he will be signing NIL deals.  So, the headlines will be, "5* QB Jacob Dinglehopper just signed with Georgia for a combined $250,000 per year in NIL deals."

He will then immediately release a professionally produced video (from the athletic department) of him promoting the companies that make up the $250,000.

24 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

I envision that there will be a time, when a player has his signing day (to sign his scholarship papers like they always have had) and at the same time, he will be signing NIL deals.  So, the headlines will be, "5* QB Jacob Dinglehopper just signed with Georgia for a combined $250,000 per year in NIL deals."

He will then immediately release a professionally produced video (from the athletic department) of him promoting the companies that make up the $250,000.

just have to remember, do not exceed $400 to avoid additional taxes.  all these kids will now need a good accountant!

28 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

all that big money should reduce portal activity, every year!

2 hours ago, hunter49 said:

all that big money should reduce portal activity, every year!

Whats stopping a wealthy donor from guaranteeing a player stays?. Simple deal- player gets x amount in monthly appearance fees in return for staying put. Or they could do the Hunter Biden scheme and buy an awful "painting: from the player at an insane price x every month. In return, the player stays put. 

32 minutes ago, Nebraska55fan said:

Whats stopping a wealthy donor from guaranteeing a player stays?. Simple deal- player gets x amount in monthly appearance fees in return for staying put. Or they could do the Hunter Biden scheme and buy an awful "painting: from the player at an insane price x every month. In return, the player stays put. 

If a wealthy donor wanted to do this and felt it was worth their investment, either from a marketing or "help the program" perspective, it's entirely within their right. That's how free-market capitalism works. 

Just now, J-MAGIC said:

If a wealthy donor wanted to do this and felt it was worth their investment, either from a marketing or "help the program" perspective, it's entirely within their right. That's how free-market capitalism works. 

Nothing- it's exactly what Ive been saying was going to happen all along. 

On 7/12/2021 at 9:45 AM, hunter49 said:

just have to remember, do not exceed $400 to avoid additional taxes.  all these kids will now need a good accountant!

One major reason college students are very liberal is that they are not paying the taxes themselves that they loudly advocate for other people.

One minor reason this just can't last is that young newly minted athletic celebrities will be speaking out at Uncle Sam's cut.  Self Employment tax anyone?  University Deans will not like seeing conservative weeds in their annual crop of woke leftists 

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Fire 1
On 7/12/2021 at 11:45 AM, hunter49 said:

An accountant, an endorsement  agent, ….  

seems like a new industry was born.