The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

On 4/24/2022 at 11:54 PM, seaofred92 said:

I agree with you this is the exact thing we’ve been waiting for. Tennessee is doing exactly what NU should be doing. A guy like Dylan Raiola should have a $5-$10M deal on the table at NU. Instead we’re talking about losing him to OSU, Mathis to Texas, etc. NU does not have the athletic culture or want to go really compete in NIL in terms of “pay for play” IMO. We will do things the “right” way because that’s who Nebraska is and we’ll wind up being able to not afford the top end players and continue the mediocrity 

You are completely over-stating what the numbers should be.  As in the article cited by @Red Five above, A&M's total class - which has been said to be the gold standard - is probably less than what you are saying we should do for one player.

The numbers floating out there are exaggerated.  To say nothing of whether they are sustainable or not.  And how many schools are we talking about that are actually doing it at that level?  Less than five?

17 minutes ago, Mavric said:

You are completely over-stating what the numbers should be.  As in the article cited by @Red Five above, A&M's total class - which has been said to be the gold standard - is probably less than what you are saying we should do for one player.

The numbers floating out there are exaggerated.  To say nothing of whether they are sustainable or not.  And how many schools are we talking about that are actually doing it at that level?  Less than five?

I’m not overstating anything. Tennessee literally has a deal structured for the #3 overall player and 5* QB in the class of 2023 for as much as $8M over 4 years. That seems like a pretty fair comp for Dylan Raiola who is the #1 overall player in the 2024 class: https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2022/03/17/8-million-nil-alabama-football-nick-saban/7053577001/

Quinn Ewers last year signed a deal with an OSU company worth $1M. Multiple high school recruits who are 4* players are signing deals worth over $1M per The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/news/college-football-recruiting-nil/3iigKevyrPik/. Hell a 3* DT signed a deal worth up to $500k. Multiple basketball players are signing deals worth $500k+ to either return to the same school they’re at or transfer to a new school (see deals at Miami, Kentucky, etc for reference) and they’re not anywhere near the level of player a guy like Raiola would be for Nebraska.

This is where this is all headed. NU can be behind the curve yet again or they can actually be out in front and be aggressive in this space. We will have to overpay for talent. It’s the reality of being located where we are, record, and program trajectory. Yet we’re watching multiple schools who haven’t won anything in years pay athletes top dollar and you’re trying to justify NU not being in that group. Hilarious really. 

• Plus1 1

Yup- looks like I’m totally overstating what the numbers will be for NIL deals related to the highest end recruits going forwards!

Football fundraising needed a new benchmark in order to recruit and retain talented players amid the exploding name, image and likeness market. The annual war chest required to field a contending SEC roster? Napier set the price at $20 million.

“I love that number,” said Eddie Rojas, CEO of the Gator Collective. “It’s a doable number, and we’re building for that.”

The crowdsourcing collective was a long way from that number, though. Fans support the Gator Collective through monthly pledges as low as $5.99. Founded last August, the collective has amassed 2,200 subscribers and raised more than $500,000. Fearing that his favorite school was falling behind other schools, one of Florida’s biggest donors decided to take matters into his own hands.

Two months ago, Hugh Hathcock plowed $1 million of his own money into a fund that would eventually be called the Gator Guard. Last week, he began contacting other high-net-worth donors with the hope of creating a select group capable of writing checks larger than the fan collective could amass in years. The Gator Guard was announced on April 21 and within 48 hours had produced commitments worth $5 million — 10 times what the Gator Collective had raised in nine months.

15 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I’m not overstating anything. Tennessee literally has a deal structured for the #3 overall player and 5* QB in the class of 2023 for as much as $8M over 4 years. That seems like a pretty fair comp for Dylan Raiola who is the #1 overall player in the 2024 class: https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/story/sports/college/football/2022/03/17/8-million-nil-alabama-football-nick-saban/7053577001/

Quinn Ewers last year signed a deal with an OSU company worth $1M. Multiple high school recruits who are 4* players are signing deals worth over $1M per The Athletic: https://theathletic.com/news/college-football-recruiting-nil/3iigKevyrPik/. Hell a 3* DT signed a deal worth up to $500k. Multiple basketball players are signing deals worth $500k+ to either return to the same school they’re at or transfer to a new school (see deals at Miami, Kentucky, etc for reference) and they’re not anywhere near the level of player a guy like Raiola would be for Nebraska.

This is where this is all headed. NU can be behind the curve yet again or they can actually be out in front and be aggressive in this space. We will have to overpay for talent. It’s the reality of being located where we are, record, and program trajectory. Yet we’re watching multiple schools who haven’t won anything in years pay athletes top dollar and you’re trying to justify NU not being in that group. Hilarious really. 

I understand where you are coming from but we know many amounts are being exaggerated.  Agents are glad to float ridiculous amounts out there to drive their commissions up on future deals.  17 year old's are also glad to exaggerate amounts in the ego driven society we live in.  Writers for the athletic aren't above taking a cut to drive the fees up either.  Players are making ridiculous money, there is no doubt.  However, published amounts should be taken with a grain of salt.

• Plus1 1
3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

I understand where you are coming from but we know many amounts are being exaggerated.  Agents are glad to float ridiculous amounts out there to drive their commissions up on future deals.  17 year old's are also glad to exaggerate amounts in the ego driven society we live in.  Writers for the athletic aren't above taking a cut to drive the fees up either.  Players are making ridiculous money, there is no doubt.  However, published amounts should be taken with a grain of salt.

Lol you’re saying that someone is paying national football writers at The Athletic to artificially inflate the value of NIL deals being secured by recruits? I find that pretty hard to believe for a multitude of reasons- the most prevalent of which is that if you’re saying the deals aren’t actually that much money for the players then almost assuredly nobody is wasting even more money to pay writers to lie about it.

I just posted an article where Florida head coach Billy Napier point blank said they need $20M to build a contending SEC roster. At Florida. How much do you think that number is at Nebraska? 

• Plus1 2

2 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

Lol you’re saying that someone is paying national football writers at The Athletic to artificially inflate the value of NIL deals being secured by recruits? I find that pretty hard to believe for a multitude of reasons- the most prevalent of which is that if you’re saying the deals aren’t actually that much money for the players then almost assuredly nobody is wasting even more money to pay writers to lie about it.

I just posted an article where Florida head coach Billy Napier point blank said they need $20M to build a contending SEC roster. At Florida. How much do you think that number is at Nebraska? 

No, I'm saying that anytime millions of dollars are on the table, there is a high likelihood of corruptness.  Of course all coaches want a huge balance to offer players.... doesn't mean they will get it.  If Napier really needed 10 million, do you think he would ask for that much or shoot higher?

3 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

No, I'm saying that anytime millions of dollars are on the table, there is a high likelihood of corruptness.  Of course all coaches want a huge balance to offer players.... doesn't mean they will get it.  If Napier really needed 10 million, do you think he would ask for that much or shoot higher?

I have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish with this but I’m going to stick with the sourced links and quotes provided and reiterate that Nebraska is not doing enough in this space to compete at a national level.

I’ll ask you point blank again: If Florida needs a $20M pool for their roster to compete in the SEC how much do you think Nebraska needs in an annual pool for players in order to compete at that same level?

• Plus1 1
39 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

I have no idea what you’re trying to accomplish with this but I’m going to stick with the sourced links and quotes provided and reiterate that Nebraska is not doing enough in this space to compete at a national level.

I’ll ask you point blank again: If Florida needs a $20M pool for their roster to compete in the SEC how much do you think Nebraska needs in an annual pool for players in order to compete at that same level?

The thing with so many of these numbers being thrown around is that it's heavily weighted with incentives.  It's like the QB that went to OSU and supposedly already had a 1,000,000 NIL deal.  Well....that was only if he's the starter.  He wasn't going to be the starter so he's already gone and didn't get the money.  I'm sure he might be doing well at his new place.  But, if Florida claims they have an 8 mill deal for a player, I'm guessing that in the end, what the player gets will be somewhat less than that.

• Plus1 1
2 minutes ago, BigRedBuster said:

The thing with so many of these numbers being thrown around is that it's heavily weighted with incentives.  It's like the QB that went to OSU and supposedly already had a 1,000,000 NIL deal.  Well....that was only if he's the starter.  He wasn't going to be the starter so he's already gone and didn't get the money.  I'm sure he might be doing well at his new place.  But, if Florida claims they have an 8 mill deal for a player, I'm guessing that in the end, what the player gets will be somewhat less than that.

Of course these deals are incentive structured as they should be. It protects the collectives and/or boosters from wasting hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars on players with no impact on the team. The entire point though is that these deals are still offering the compensation to the players and contractually obligated to pay them that should they hit the incentives laid out in the contract. You do not have the opportunity to earn the kind of money I’ve laid out in the above examples at Nebraska right now. That COULD change- but I don’t see it changing until it becomes the “norm” and NU is forced to get there.

This is the question I want NU fans to answer: If Florida’s head coach has determined that they need $20M in annual NIL contribution commitments to compete for championships in the SEC, how much money do you think NU needs in annual NIL contribution commitments in order to compete at that same level?

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

That's where we don't agree - Florida doesn't need 20 million to compete in the SEC.  Just because their coach pulled a number out of his a$$ doesn't make it fact.  Your trying to point out that Nebraska sucks in this department but the reality is we have no idea what our "annual pool" is.

Should we believe Casey that Nebraska is doing pretty good?   

“First off, when I first got here they told me — like 17 or 18 different football players had vehicles. That’s unheard of,” Thompsons said on the podcast. “At Texas it was me, Bijan Robinson and one defensive starter — like 3 guys.

“Nebraska athletics, there’s like 70 or 80 people across all sports that have either an apartment or a car or they’re getting NIL deals. … You’re gonna make six figures. If you’re a starter here on the football team, you can make over six figures.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/casey-thompson-on-nil-differences-between-nebraska-texas-you-can-make-6-figures-here/

• Plus1 2

28 minutes ago, Hilltop said:

That's where we don't agree - Florida doesn't need 20 million to compete in the SEC.  Just because their coach pulled a number out of his a$$ doesn't make it fact.  Your trying to point out that Nebraska sucks in this department but the reality is we have no idea what our "annual pool" is.

Should we believe Casey that Nebraska is doing pretty good?   

“First off, when I first got here they told me — like 17 or 18 different football players had vehicles. That’s unheard of,” Thompsons said on the podcast. “At Texas it was me, Bijan Robinson and one defensive starter — like 3 guys.

“Nebraska athletics, there’s like 70 or 80 people across all sports that have either an apartment or a car or they’re getting NIL deals. … You’re gonna make six figures. If you’re a starter here on the football team, you can make over six figures.”

https://saturdaytradition.com/nebraska-football/casey-thompson-on-nil-differences-between-nebraska-texas-you-can-make-6-figures-here/

You still haven’t answered the question at hand: How much money does Nebraska’s NIL effort need on an annual basis in order to compete nationally? All I’m looking for is a number. 

If you actually read the article I linked- UF’s collective is in process of raising that $20M. So I’ll ask again- tell me the number NU needs available to them in order to compete.

NIL - cash for for players - to compete for the best recruits and then also keep them is apparently here to stay and will likely grow and escalate wildly.  There are no limits except the school’s ability (or inability) to fund raise.  A football team requires50 or 60 quality players spread evenly across all the positions, minimum.  To build depth and sustainable competitive quality, over time (year after year), that’s not nearly enough really.  That takes millions certainly, annually.  Many programs can’t compete in those $$$ figures, but top twenty programs (and wannabes), do.  But the transfer portal (h.s. prospects also) is essentially a big auction already.   Many guys won’t have realistic ideas of what they are ‘worth’ presumably.  

Pay for play vs pay for signing to maybe play?   The pressure on coaches, ADs, etc has got to be staggering already with no end in sight.  It’s scary and going to get worse.  Even the NFL realized salary caps were critical to prevent self destruction.  I don’t see how that can happen without Congress acting.  No indication of that anytime soon. 

• Plus1 2

I have no idea how much an NU collective needs to allot for the team to put them in the top tier. 

However, before I get fully turned off by what used to be "college" football, I would like NU to go full bore into pay-for-play so I can have one last ego boost from the team being on/near top.

• Plus1 1
1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

You still haven’t answered the question at hand: How much money does Nebraska’s NIL effort need on an annual basis in order to compete nationally? All I’m looking for is a number. 

I have no idea what the number is, but we're certainly not making news keeping up with the biggest spenders.

• Plus1 2

I'm going to laugh when all these people at the universities spending hundreds of millions of dollars still don't have a National Championship to show for it.  The thing is, this isn't like the NFL where you are paying for a known commodity.  These are just high school kids and only a handful of them are sure thing can't miss prospects if there even is such a thing.  Look at Ohio State and Alabama, they already get the pick of recruits every single year.  Are they good every single year? Yes.  Do they win a natty every single year? No.  I think of Kentucky basketball for another example.  I really don't see how they can get any more loaded with talent than they already are.  Their entire roster is basically 5 star players yet they haven't made a final four since 2015...  Unless schools can start getting kids to walk-on with NIL money (which is possible I suppose) they are still only have so many scholarships to give out.  I think when this is all said and done you will see a bunch of programs try to buy success and in the end many will be no better off than they are now.. The real wild card is how they are going to manage kids taking offers to transfer.  To me that's where things really could get ugly.