Jump to content


The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness


Dagerow

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, seaofred92 said:

You still haven’t answered the question at hand: How much money does Nebraska’s NIL effort need on an annual basis in order to compete nationally? All I’m looking for is a number. 
 

If you actually read the article I linked- UF’s collective is in process of raising that $20M. So I’ll ask again- tell me the number NU needs available to them in order to compete.

I think we all know that number will forever be a moving target.  Being in the process of raising doesn't mean they will get it or use all of it.   Just like with anything, they will spend as little as they can to land the recruits they want.  

Link to comment

12 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

 

Yup- looks like I’m totally overstating what the numbers will be for NIL deals related to the highest end recruits going forwards!

 

 

 

So your proof is a coach positing a hypothetical number that he has ever reason to inflate?  That just so happens to be the same as a debunked number from a conference rival?

 

Seems legit.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
6 minutes ago, Mavric said:

 

So your proof is a coach positing a hypothetical number that he has ever reason to inflate?  That just so happens to be the same as a debunked number from a conference rival?

 

Seems legit.

God bless you Mav- you definitely know more about this than Billy Napier does. Florida doesn’t need to raise $20M- sounds like you should contact the NIL collective and head coach to let them know. 

 

What number is debunked that I posted? Texas A&M’s NIL collective funded deals in the single millions total directed towards the class of 2022 and is working to increase that. That doesn’t include any funds given to players already on campus or any comped goods and services either. Tennessee offered an $8M deal to the CA QB they have committed and the other figures come directly from the deals that are referenced in their articles.
 

I’ll ask you the question that nobody seems to want to answer: How much money does Nebraska need in NIL funds available to them on an annual basis to compete at the national level? 

Link to comment
9 minutes ago, seaofred92 said:

God bless you Mav- you definitely know more about this than Billy Napier does. Florida doesn’t need to raise $20M- sounds like you should contact the NIL collective and head coach to let them know. 

 

What number is debunked that I posted? Texas A&M’s NIL collective funded deals in the single millions total directed towards the class of 2022 and is working to increase that. That doesn’t include any funds given to players already on campus or any comped goods and services either. Tennessee offered an $8M deal to the CA QB they have committed and the other figures come directly from the deals that are referenced in their articles.
 

I’ll ask you the question that nobody seems to want to answer: How much money does Nebraska need in NIL funds available to them on an annual basis to compete at the national level? 

That amount of money doesn’t exi…

B8402770-D833-4777-B67B-4BFBA7F0C1CD.webp

  • Haha 2
Link to comment

2 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

The fact that people on here are arguing with a player that just made a decision largely based on what he could earn is baffling. I’m not going to believe some random guy on the internet over the new starting QB who has said MULTIPLE times that we are ahead of Texas. You know, the school with the deepest pockets in the country. 

Playing devil's advocate here, but that could just mean we were ahead in an NIL offer for Thompson specifically.  Texas probably didn't offer much with Ewers on board.

  • Plus1 2
Link to comment
42 minutes ago, runningblind said:

Playing devil's advocate here, but that could just mean we were ahead in an NIL offer for Thompson specifically.  Texas probably didn't offer much with Ewers on board.

Exactly. Of course NU is better for NIL for Casey Thompson than Texas- they went out and signed another QB to take his spot. 

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
7 hours ago, runningblind said:

Playing devil's advocate here, but that could just mean we were ahead in an NIL offer for Thompson specifically.  Texas probably didn't offer much with Ewers on board.

“First of, when I got here I found out that, like 17 or 18 different football players had vehicles,” Thompson said. “That’s unheard of. At Texas, it was me, Bijan Robinson, and one defensive starter. Three guys.”


……He isn’t talking specifically about himself…..

  • Plus1 5
Link to comment

4 hours ago, In the Deed the Glory said:

“First of, when I got here I found out that, like 17 or 18 different football players had vehicles,” Thompson said. “That’s unheard of. At Texas, it was me, Bijan Robinson, and one defensive starter. Three guys.”


……He isn’t talking specifically about himself…..

It's not unheard of though, that's the point, maybe it isn't specifically cars, who cares.  Each lineman gets 50k. Ewers is north of $1 million.  They didn't want Thompson back so of course he got a better deal elsewhere.

 

https://apnews.com/article/college-football-sports-football-austin-texas-1578609cf8697681db5a97389a715d3c

 

https://www.dallasnews.com/sports/texas-longhorns/2021/12/12/national-reaction-to-texas-landing-ohio-state-transfer-quinn-ewers-mullet-mania-is-headed-to-austin/

 

  • Plus1 1
  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
14 hours ago, seaofred92 said:

I’ll ask you the question that nobody seems to want to answer: How much money does Nebraska need in NIL funds available to them on an annual basis to compete at the national level? 

How much will a gallon of gas cost next year?  Heck, even next week?

 

We all understand your point but this question doesn't have an answer because it's a moving target.  The reality is Nebraska is doing pretty good with NIL but the real question is are we doing enough to eventually compete with the best programs in the country?  My guess is not yet but time will tell.    

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Wacky idea time, I know I'll get a few eyerolls. I'm not usually run the option guy, but I wonder if NIL could open a door to making option football a decent strategy. You could essentially buy the best players for your scheme and not be fishing in the same pond as Bama, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia...Offer your big check to a RB not a QB, pay the best Fullback - which would be a lock because no one else is paying a fullback, go pay the fast/athletic lineman, go offer 6 figures to the 4/5 star athlete to play option QB - when in the past he wouldn't because there in no money in being an option QB. 

 

Again, a little out-there. Just seems like there could be a way to go buy the best players and not compete with the mega money/NFL factories because you're shopping with a different shopping list. 

  • Thanks 2
  • Oh Yeah! 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Wacky idea time, I know I'll get a few eyerolls. I'm not usually run the option guy, but I wonder if NIL could open a door to making option football a decent strategy. You could essentially buy the best players for your scheme and not be fishing in the same pond as Bama, Oklahoma, USC, Georgia...Offer your big check to a RB not a QB, pay the best Fullback - which would be a lock because no one else is paying a fullback, go pay the fast/athletic lineman, go offer 6 figures to the 4/5 star athlete to play option QB - when in the past he wouldn't because there in no money in being an option QB. 

 

Again, a little out-there. Just seems like there could be a way to go buy the best players and not compete with the mega money/NFL factories because you're shopping with a different shopping list. 

 

I get what you're saying, but it still co.es down to the big uglies up front.

  • Plus1 1
Link to comment
9 minutes ago, Born N Bled Red said:

 

I get what you're saying, but it still co.es down to the big uglies up front.

Yeah, seems like everyone is too focused on paying the best guys (a game IDK if we can win), and focus on paying the right guys. I feel like you need a position coach who isn't gonna sit there and waste time going after a 5 star who is just gonna use Nebraska to get a fatter payday from Georgia, then need to scramble to fill a class. You need need a position coach (say OL) that identifies 3 dudes who are the right fit, and make sure he has the financial backing to go win every one of those recruiting battles against the Wisconsin, Iowa, Iowa St, Kstates of the world. You might end up paying almost as much as the SEC teams for your OL of all 3 stars, but at least you got the right guys. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.





×
  • Create New...