The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

8 minutes ago, Decked said:

Jordan Addison to the portal. Likely as I’m sure you’ve all heard on a 3 million deal to USC. Jfc. 

Yeah it's getting crazy. Apparently Notre Dame had somebody make an offer to Pickett before the year too, Narduzzi is pissed. Reaching out to players on other teams definitely happened before, but it was always peer to peer or through somebody like a high school coach - boosters reaching out with cash offers that aren't technically under the table is pretty insane. The outreach is under the table, but the money is legit now. 

3 minutes ago, suh_fan93 said:

Such a cluster.  I figured it would ultimately wind up in the hands of lawmakers as it obviously should.  What a brilliant idea to start paying athletes without any real regulation whatsoever.

It’s pretty friggen stupid. Pro sports have all the experience in the world with this and what do they do?  Totally ignore them and just have a free for all. 

I think what should happen is it go back to being totally controlled by the school. Donors donate to a fund that pays them. 

Some media guys did some digging on NIL around the B1G.  They found that Nebraska is significantly ahead of everyone not named Ohio State.

Ohio State is more than likely the top dog.

Nebraska said to be easily #2.

Even Michigan doesn't have much.  They've helped a few of their best players (including  Hunter Dickinson) but nothing comprehensive.

Wisconsin barely has anything.

Iowa barely has "pizza money".

Purdue has nothing.

So Nebraska might be behind the top few in the entire country but is well ahead of the vast majority.

• Plus1 3
On 5/5/2022 at 9:04 AM, BigRedBuster said:

It’s pretty friggen stupid. Pro sports have all the experience in the world with this and what do they do?  Totally ignore them and just have a free for all. 

I think what should happen is it go back to being totally controlled by the school. Donors donate to a fund that pays them. 

It’s a Federal antitrust issue which takes Congress to act and we all know how that works.  Just add a bunch of politicians to decide every year what the new rules are and who (which alma mater) gets the benefits and which doesn’t .   That will really be ugly but it’s coming. 

The value of scholarships are tax free, only because Congress allows it.  NIL money is taxable earnings (income, social security etc).  Big $$ = big tax!   All those ‘free’ cars will be taxable too!   Govt loves tax revenues too.  It’s all going to be very interesting to watch play out.  

5 hours ago, Mavric said:

Some media guys did some digging on NIL around the B1G.  They found that Nebraska is significantly ahead of everyone not named Ohio State.

Ohio State is more than likely the top dog.

Nebraska said to be easily #2.

Even Michigan doesn't have much.  They've helped a few of their best players (including  Hunter Dickinson) but nothing comprehensive.

Wisconsin barely has anything.

Iowa barely has "pizza money".

Purdue has nothing.

So Nebraska might be behind the top few in the entire country but is well ahead of the vast majority.

I just can't believe this...several people on Huskerboard have stated the complete opposite. lol

• Plus1 3

10 minutes ago, Mavric said:

I'm sure there will be a ton of sanctions coming down....

Can everyone together slowly say......"cluster f#&%"?

OK.....now, how in the hell are they going to define this and punish it?  Recruits are presented with NIL deals.  The deals can not go through the coaches or AD department.  Let's think about this slowly.......so.......how are the deals presented to the recruits????   Hmmmmm....

Just when you think the NCAA can't appear any more inept.