The NCAA will allow athletes to profit from their name, image, and likeness

Dagerow

21 hours ago, Red Five said:

Collectives have shifted funds from spending in recruiting to the portal, where the odds of landing a proven commodity are significantly higher. 

“A top-10 caliber quarterback in the transfer portal is worth seven figures. But a high school quarterback isn’t worth anything because they’re not going to start,” a collective leader told On3. “Same thing with any player. You can have a stud defensive end or wide receiver – it doesn’t make sense to spend money on someone who is going to be a non-impact player. It’s just bad management. That’s why in professional sports, rookies make so much less than free agents. You want a guaranteed veteran more than taking a flier on a rookie. 

“The problem is everyone’s like, ‘Oh great, I can go recruit this high school kid and he can make a big difference.’ What’s the bust rate in the NFL draft in the first round? Probably a one-third chance the guy is going to work out. So why do you think you’re going to be able to recognize somebody as a high school recruit and then go dump all this money.”

Roster management has also emerged as a key component of a school’s NIL infrastructure. While lucrative packages can attract talent, it’s also used to retain top players. In a market where the motto is buyers beware, the safest option is to preserve talent rather than risk a recruiting bust. 

Programs often tell recruits not to hold their decisions until December because the portal quickly takes precedence. 

“What I feel like, it’s kind of been a shift from – at first it was the recruiting front because the incoming guys caught the first wave,” an SEC player personnel staffer involved in NIL told On3. “They were the ones to be able to capitalize on the era when everyone was trying to figure out what was going on. It seems to me there’s been a shift from the early stage to the retain portion. More people are seeing it’s about maintaining your roster and keeping your guys another year, rather than the young fellas who aren’t a proven commodity.”

Ok - lets just get this over with and the P5 schools disconnect from the NCAA and form the NFL farm league system that they truly are already.  Not all P5 teams mind you should be in it -   Maybe 30-36 teams that can afford the NIL and any 'franchise' fee to be a part of the league. 

Those not in the league can become a home for HS recruits who aren't 5 or 4 stars - and they can play for the love of the game like before this became such a big business.  Portal can move those players into the NFL farm league as they get experience and succeed at the lower level. 

8 hours ago, soup said:

His he talking specifically Utah?  Because if he is talking overall NIL deals.  Some of the highest paid athletes in the NIL are women. Albeit for reasons not necessarily because of the sport they compete in.

I think this accusation is pointed at Utah.

But just because there are a few outliers doesn't mean it's anywhere near equal.

Not that I think this has anything to do with Title IX because it's not the colleges paying the bills.

• 2 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Athletic did a survey of players in the Under Armor All-American game about NIL, recruiting media, what coaches they liked the best/worst, etc.  For people who want to know more about NIL, here is what they said around how much they were getting and how it factored into their decision (and keep in mind these are top players, 4* and 5* guys)

Recruiting confidential: High school football stars dish on NIL deals, arrogant coaches and more

Did you sign with the school that offered you the best NIL deal? If not, how much did you leave on the table to sign with where you ultimately decided to go?

• It wasn’t a big difference for me in terms of the total package. All the schools offered about $300,000 to $400,000 per year with the ability to earn more.

• I left some money on the table, about $50,000. But I signed with my dream school.

• The dollar figures were similar so NIL wasn’t a priority for me. I’m worried about the big bucks later. My relationship with the coaches, watching them practice and seeing it was really was the biggest factor.

• I had another school offer me the same NIL deal in total, but with a signing bonus. The signing bonus would’ve been basically a really nice car. The NIL deal is like an NFL rookie contract. I had an agent handle it all for me. As soon as NIL came out, my dad was like, “You need an agent.” When schools call, they have the position coach, head coach and the money man from the collective call you. That last guy is the one who talks about NIL with the agent.

• I signed with the team that gave me the best chance to make the NFL, not the most NIL money.

• I didn’t sign with the school who offered me the biggest NIL deal I could’ve gotten, but coming from where I come from, any money I receive from a college is life-changing money.

• I signed completely off the bond I built with coaches. I didn’t start talking about NIL until recently. I’ll be making about $80,000 to $100,000 per year. A couple other schools had similar offers.

• No, I didn’t. I signed with (my school) and they gave me like $90,000. I feel like it’s not really about the money for me and I like (my school). … I want to say (my best offer was about) $200,000. They came in the process late and (my school) was there since my freshman year so it was easy.

• I didn’t sign with the school who offered the biggest deal. In total, it was probably about $300,000 in difference for the three years. Why did I go to the school offering less money? Because in the long run I could go somewhere where I can stay focused — not be distracted — and get on the field right away.

• I signed with the school who offered me the best NIL deal. Other schools threw a lot of big numbers out, but the school I signed with I trusted I’d get the money because I saw other guys got it.

• I left some money on the table. I didn’t bring up NIL until my official visits. One team told me if I committed early and helped bring other guys in, they’d give me $40,000 a month up until I signed. But I didn’t sign with them.

• To be honest, I didn’t. I don’t really look at all that stuff right now. I (chose) the school that, I wouldn’t say showed the best love, but it was a school where I just really liked being around the people and I felt like I could make an impact there. … I’ll get (NIL) later on. I think I’m looking to invest in myself now and then get a bigger bag later on.

• I’m not sure. I didn’t really ask about NIL, money-wise. That wasn’t really on my mind. I knew it was gonna come, but I just wasn’t really concerned about it.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1