Cold dose of reality by Dirk

Here is a rip off the band-aid look at Huskers football the past (almost) 20 years....

Over and over, I’ve watched 18-year-old freshmen walk into this program supremely confident they’re going to restore Big Red. Big Ten championship or bust, baby. They talk just like Garrett Nelson and Wan’Dale Robinson talked Saturday night. And three years later, they’re basically the same players. No improvement. No development.

They run out of that tunnel on Senior Day like they’re 28 years old with a mortgage and two kids and a 50-hour job. Like they’ve seen a ghost.

Just read and think wow, when will get it back.  Maybe too much pressure and chasing ghosts.  Try to make it fun and make your own mark.....

https://www.omaha.com/sports/college/huskers/teams/football/chatelain-nebraska-football-has-lost-games-in-the-st-century/article_3f14dace-1bc6-5b88-a466-f180decb893d.html#23

Dirk won't admit it, but he's a frustrated fan too. It's a little gloomy of a picture in my opinion, because a program could always be 3-4 years away from glory. You just need the right coach, and staff surrounding him.... Do we have that coach? Too early to tell, but I'll admit  I'm not as confident in that as I was 14 months ago.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
Just now, B.B. Hemingway said:

Dirk won't admit it, but he's a frustrated fan too. It's a little gloomy of a picture in my opinion, because a program could always be 3-4 years away from glory. You just need the right coach, and staff surrounding him.... Do we have that coach? Too early to tell, but I'll admit  I'm not as confident in that as I was 14 months ago.

Same.  I have become numb to the losses.  I just SMH....too many to name........

9 minutes ago, TheSker said:

I'm more confident in our long term future.  The recruiting and the return to a focus on the walk on program will both be program changers.

I wish I had your optimism, the attrition thread is killing my optimism.  Seems we have a hard time keeping guys/guys panning out etc....I always complained about Bama over signing and looking over the average attrition in FBS and what we are experiencing as well, you might carry a few extra guys from class to class as attrition seems to hit every program every year.

When he says fans weren’t happy with the results of past coaches he means fans that he knows.... his co-conspirators.

I was good with Pelini’s record.

Truth is it could be like 1991 now or we could stay a conference bottom feeder for a long time.

I don’t think Frost will let us stay a bottom feeder.

As far as expecting Devaney and Osborne results.... may not happen, that’s asking a lot.

• Plus1 1

Something strange is going on in Lincoln.  We used to turn 2 and 3 stars into 4 stars.  Now we turn 4 stars into 3 stars.  That's makes a turnaround difficult.

Moreover, losing makes it hard to find winners. You think Alabama and Ohio State get the best players because those kids love their facilities best? Heck no. They want to win.

7 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

When he says fans weren’t happy with the results of past coaches he means fans that he knows.... his co-conspirators.

I was good with Pelini’s record.

Record under Pelini was OK but didn't help an outsider's perception where blowout losses in most big time prime time games provided the biggest impression.  Of course, losing seasons in the last 4 of 5 has altered that perception.

21 minutes ago, 4skers89 said:

Record under Pelini was OK but didn't help an outsider's perception where blowout losses in most big time prime time games provided the biggest impression.  Of course, losing seasons in the last 4 of 5 has altered that perception.

I don’t remember what Dirk wrote back then but I’m guessing he was all for bringing in the new guy just like the rest of the media.

When he says fans weren’t happy, he means donors and their media agents.

He should just stop his blubbering and see what Frost can do for the next five years.

• Thanks 4
1 hour ago, lo country said:

I wish I had your optimism, the attrition thread is killing my optimism.  Seems we have a hard time keeping guys/guys panning out etc....I always complained about Bama over signing and looking over the average attrition in FBS and what we are experiencing as well, you might carry a few extra guys from class to class as attrition seems to hit every program every year.

Meh......Dirk loves to stir the half empty glass.  I've long been over his writing 

From an attrition standpoint, we need serious talent upgrading, and attrition and recruiting is how that gets done.  The article from today from the Orlando sportswriter is more insightful than Dirk's "journalism"

• Plus1 2

The nice thing about dirk's writing is that it is so bad that it only takes a couple minutes before i know it is time to quit reading.  Has he looked around the country and seen that ALL powerhouses have head scratching losses / stadium was 98% full - what is that?

What a hack - wonder if he golfs like he writes.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 2

Meh, it just reads like an angry fan blowing off steam. He's supposed to be a sportswriter - obviously he's a fan too, and that's fine. But if you want to publish your fan rants go write for bleacher report or some dump like that. I don't need another "I'm so tired of us losing" piece from someone who is supposed to put out actual stories. 

• Plus1 4
54 minutes ago, Hayseed said:

I don’t remember what Dirk wrote back then but I’m guessing he was all for bringing in the new guy just like the rest of the media.

When he says fans weren’t happy, he means donors and their media agents.

He should just stop his blubbering and see what Frost can do for the next five years.

I’m sure Dirk quitting his job will be the catalyst for our next 30-year dynasty.