*** 2019 Game 9 "Expert" Picks: Nebraska at Purdue ***

Saunders

2019 Game 9 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Purdue

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/nebraska-vs-purdue-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019

Why Nebraska Will Win

Adrian Martinez is expected to be back, and even if he is down a bit or isn’t right, Luke McCaffrey ran for 76 yards and looked good in the loss to Indiana in place of a banged up Noah Vedral. The running game worked last week and it continues to be a positive, but it needs Martinez to be his explosive self to make the O really go. Against the Purdue defense, it should all click. The Boilermakers aren’t miserable defensively, but they can’t overcome a whole slew of turnovers and mistakes, and they’re not making enough big plays. The run defense is okay, but the pass D can be picked apart by the short-to-medium passes. If Martinez really is recharged, that’s the difference. He’s the missing element.

Why Purdue Will Win

The Nebraska offense worked just fine without Martinez against Indiana, but the defense couldn’t stop Peyton Ramsey and the passing game. Jack Plummer is coming off a bad game against Illinois, but to be fair, the weather conditions had a whole lot to do with that. Before the debacle against the Illini, Plummer was on, throwing for 420 yards and three scores against Maryland, and pushing Iowa with 327 yards. The Nebraska defense can generate a pass rush, but the secondary has been hit hard by the better quarterbacks and it hasn’t handled the mediocre ones, either. In a game between two teams in relatively the same boat, it should come down to how can take advantage of its opportunities. Nebraska is miserable in the red zone, Purdue is all but automatic.

What’s Going To Happen

Call this a home game win. Kick this off in Lincoln, and Nebraska would be the call, but at home, Purdue will overcome its rough day against Illinois to dink and dunk its way to a solid performance against the beleaguered Nebraska defense that won’t be able to get off the field. It should be one of the Big Ten’s most entertaining games with plenty of momentum swings and lots of big drives. JD Dellinger will be the difference. Purdue can make field goals, and Nebraska can’t.

Purdue 36 - Nebraska 31

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/college-football-expert-picks-predictions-week-10-2019/3

Gill Alexander: Nebraska

Jeff Feyerer: Nebraska

Pete Fiutak: Nebraska

Dan Harralson: Nebraska

Phil Harrison: Purdue

Isaiah Hole: Nebraska

Will Hunter: Nebraska

Jeremy Mauss: Purdue

Kegan Reaneau: Purdue

Johnny Rosenstein: Purdue

Nick Shepkowski: Purdue

Scott Steehn: Purdue

Keith Stewart: Nebraska

Joe Vitale: Purdue

Chris Wassel: Nebraska

Joe Williams: Nebraska

Ben Niewoehner: Nebraska

—————

ESPN FPI

https://www.espn.com/college-football/game/_/gameId/401112243

Purdue - 53% Win

—————

DRatings

https://www.dratings.com/predictor/ncaa-football-predictions/

Nebraska 29.24 - Purdue 28.60

Nebraska - 51.4% Win

—————

FOX Sports

https://www.foxsports.com/college-football/predictions?season=2019&seasonType=1&week=10&group=11

Nebraska 31 - Purdue 30

Nebraska - 54% Win

—————

Bill Connelly SP+

https://twitter.com/ESPN_BillC/status/1189517987759513600

Nebraska - 52% Win

Nebraska 31 - Purdue 30

—————

Big Red Wrap-Up

http://netnebraska.org/interactive-multimedia/sports/big-red-wrap-purdue-prediction-5

Mike’l Severe: Nebraska 28 - Purdue 27

Jay Moore: Nebraska 34 - Purdue 27

Steve Sipple: Nebraska 37 - Purdue 31

—————

Image result for half laughing half crying

• Plus1 4

2 minutes ago, Saunders said:

2019 Game 9 “Expert” Picks: Nebraska @ Purdue

—————

CollegeFootballNews.com

https://collegefootballnews.com/2019/10/nebraska-vs-purdue-fearless-prediction-game-preview-2019

Why Nebraska Will Win

Adrian Martinez is expected to be back, and even if he is down a bit or isn’t right, Luke McCaffrey ran for 76 yards and looked good in the loss to Indiana in place of a banged up Noah Vedral. The running game worked last week and it continues to be a positive, but it needs Martinez to be his explosive self to make the O really go. Against the Purdue defense, it should all click. The Boilermakers aren’t miserable defensively, but they can’t overcome a whole slew of turnovers and mistakes, and they’re not making enough big plays. The run defense is okay, but the pass D can be picked apart by the short-to-medium passes. If Martinez really is recharged, that’s the difference. He’s the missing element.

Why Purdue Will Win

The Nebraska offense worked just fine without Martinez against Indiana, but the defense couldn’t stop Peyton Ramsey and the passing game. Jack Plummer is coming off a bad game against Illinois, but to be fair, the weather conditions had a whole lot to do with that. Before the debacle against the Illini, Plummer was on, throwing for 420 yards and three scores against Maryland, and pushing Iowa with 327 yards. The Nebraska defense can generate a pass rush, but the secondary has been hit hard by the better quarterbacks and it hasn’t handled the mediocre ones, either. In a game between two teams in relatively the same boat, it should come down to how can take advantage of its opportunities. Nebraska is miserable in the red zone, Purdue is all but automatic.

What’s Going To Happen

Call this a home game win. Kick this off in Lincoln, and Nebraska would be the call, but at home, Purdue will overcome its rough day against Illinois to dink and dunk its way to a solid performance against the beleaguered Nebraska defense that won’t be able to get off the field. It should be one of the Big Ten’s most entertaining games with plenty of momentum swings and lots of big drives. JD Dellinger will be the difference. Purdue can make field goals, and Nebraska can’t.

Purdue 36 - Nebraska 31

Like hell we can.

• Plus1 2
  • Haha 3

I think Martinez being back is going to be a huge boost for us offensively. I think we can beat Purdue but it'll be similar to the Illinois game. Lots of big plays. We're gonna have to outscore every team that remains on our schedule. AM gives us the best chance to do that.

Nebraska 34, Purdue 27

• Plus1 2
11 minutes ago, FTW said:

I think Martinez being back is going to be a huge boost for us offensively. I think we can beat Purdue but it'll be similar to the Illinois game. Lots of big plays. We're gonna have to outscore every team that remains on our schedule. AM gives us the best chance to do that.

Nebraska 34, Purdue 27

That sounds like a solid game plan. :thumbs

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 5

35 minutes ago, Saunders said:

Purdue can make field goals, and Nebraska can’t.

36 minutes ago, Saunders said:

The Nebraska defense can generate a pass rush, but the secondary has been hit hard by the better quarterbacks and it hasn’t handled the mediocre ones, either.

This is what kills with reading the previews, these guys don't really pay attention to the team. I know Pickering was 1 of 2 last week, but I expect the jitters are gone after that first kick. Also, when have we generated a pass rush this year? Against South Alabama? If anything our pass rush is terrible and our secondary is good when they don't have to cover for 10 seconds.

Can't believe we're a toss up against a Purdue team struggling as much as they are though. Ugh.

Just now, HS_Coach_C said:

That sounds like a solid game plan. :thumbs

Oh man, that brings back memories.

I had a nut that coached defense for me a few years back, sort of during a transition stage where I suddenly had to take over HC duties.  Anyone, these guy was a dad-coach, not a teacher coach (problem one) and after a few games of us blitzing ourselves out of games and letting up about 4-5 plays over 50 yards per game I made some changes with the defense.  Then he told me that "Well, we can do that but all it is going to do is keep the game closer, the way we are doing it now we have a chance to get some turnovers and make some plays"

I was like "Ummmm, yeah I would rather keep the game closer so we have a chance to win"

He also let me know that his defensive game plan was "to stop the play before it starts"...Oh okay...great game plan.

• Plus1 1
  • Haha 3

It's really awful to say this, but it's hard to give Nebraska much of a chance at victory here. We are horrific on the road under Frost and we all saw the terrible outings in the second half at Colorado and for all of the game in our "win" at Illinois. The defense for Nebraska has struggled to do much of anything consistently, including that pass rush issue. We make too many mistakes on offense and special teams.

Before Minnesota, I thought it was our "get right" game and that we would go on a little run that would build confidence for Wisconsin, and, later, for Iowa.

Then we got trashed.

But we had a bye. Soooo I figured the rally would begin at home against the Hoosiers and that we would be confidence and...well

We lost. I was wrong. Again.

At this point, I can't say we are going to win, because, even as a die hard fan without being forced to think "realistically," I still have problems being positive about all of this right now.

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 2

I think we win this game by two scores.

We haven't beat anyone good this year and, this post isn't meant to sugar coat how far behind really good teams we are.  We have a long ways to go to get where any of us want.

However, the three Big Ten teams that have beat us are 22-2.  We los to CU after our offense went into a shell in the second half.  Before that, we had them beat.

Purdue is no where close to having the record of OSU, Minnesota or IU.  Their offense is struggling because of injuries.

I think our offense will be able to score 30+.  I think Purdue's offensive struggles will allow our struggling defense to hold them to maybe around 20.

We win the turnover battle in this game.

• Plus1 4
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Roger Dorn said:

I think we see a bit of a statement game from Martinez in this one. Similar to Frost’s game at Washington in 97. Gonna let the world know he is the guy.

The defense is another question but Purdue is trash this year.

34-21 Neb

This is the kind of sentiment I want to believe in. I really do. Please allow this to be true.

3 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

If rondale moore is out Nebraska has a 50/50 shot at winning. If he plays i dont think Nebraska has a chance in hell of winning. That Indiana receiver had like 15 catches last week and chins answer was to cover him with barry. If moore plays and is anywhere near 100% he rips this defense apart.

I know what you're talking about, but that was one play where the QB had about 10 seconds to throw. It's not like he had Barry in man, and if we had any pass rush at all he probably doesn't get open in time. I was also not a fan of the gameplan, especially considering Chins has to know our pass rush deficiencies. But it's not going to be the same plan this week, and last year I thought we handled Moore alright. Didn't do anything else well, but he had one big play that I remember.

• Plus1 1
36 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

If rondale moore is out Nebraska has a 50/50 shot at winning. If he plays i dont think Nebraska has a chance in hell of winning. That Indiana receiver had like 15 catches last week and chins answer was to cover him with barry. If moore plays and is anywhere near 100% he rips this defense apart.

37 minutes ago, LumberJackSker said:

Ironically, Moore got loose twice last year on us iirc, but aside from that, I'd say our D did as good of a job against him as any team they played. I'd go the other way with it. 

If Moore plays, it's a 50/50 game.

If he doesn't, I'll take us by 2-3 scores.

Purdue hasn't been nearly as good this year as they were last year, and sindelar is hurt. 

• Plus1 1