RIP Husker Hot Dog Guy

NUance

More than Memorial Stadium's Hot Dog Man: Stephen Potter was lawyer, showman, helper
PETER SALTER Lincoln Journal Star Oct 30, 2019 Updated 1 hr ago 

[Steve Potter] became famous for the 36 years he spent slinging hot dogs at Memorial Stadium.

He started as a student in 1963, buying a baggy outfit and short pants to stand out. When those wore out, he bought a three-piece suit at Goodwill.

The long-haired Hot Dog Man became a performer on the sidelines, drawing the attention of Charles Kuralt and CBS News in 1986. He could throw a foil-wrapped hot dog behind his back with either hand, and his end-over-end backspin could land a hot dog 40 rows up.  LJS Link 

....Hotdog_Guy.jpg

• Plus1 1
  • Thanks 1

I remember him.  He didn't look like a hippie in the 90s when I remember getting a hot dog.  You would signal what you wanted.  He'd gun you a dog and you would put the money in the hot dog wrapper and toss it back to him--likely hitting some other guy in the vicinity instead of this guy. 

Does anyone remember the cop you would go up the platform/steps in the southeast corner of the stadium?  It was pre-Huskervision days. 

• Plus1 2

3 hours ago, Herbie95 said:

I remember him.  He didn't look like a hippie in the 90s when I remember getting a hot dog.  You would signal what you wanted.  He'd gun you a dog and you would put the money in the hot dog wrapper and toss it back to him--likely hitting some other guy in the vicinity instead of this guy. 

Does anyone remember the cop you would go up the platform/steps in the southeast corner of the stadium?  It was pre-Huskervision days. 

I got a dog from the Hot Dog man.  It was a real crowd thing.  He almost always was dead on target, but sometimes not, so the crowd around the intended target would help out. Even more so with us throwing the money back to him.  He was legend.  As was the cop that would bound up the southeast corner of the stadium.  The crowd would holler with each step/jump.  Simple entertainment is sometimes the best.

• Plus1 3
  • Fire 1
6 hours ago, Herbie95 said:

I remember the officer. I typed out an entire response and then an ad took over and I lost it. 

• Plus1 2

13 hours ago, Huskersince62 said:

Yep...I remember him for sure...I started attending games regularly in 73..he was a fixture. I also remember the cop mentioned by Herbie...that had to be in the 80's?

My first game in Memorial Stadium was in 1989 so the cop was still doing his thing then but I don't remember him when I was a student at UNL in the mid 1990s. 

I remember him.  He could fling a wiener 50 rows it seemed. And the cop too. 

I also remember Mad Mike the drum man. And a state trooper would stand on northwest pillar of the old stadium under the American flag, which is now covered by a Jumbotron or some s#!t. He looked like an ant up there and I always wondered how he didn’t get blown off, as a kid.