Year 2 Regression Under Frost

29 minutes ago, Morrissey said:

Kind of a strange thing to split hairs on. This type of excuse has been floated around to excuse Frost’s mediocrity at Nebraska. Like maybe not those exact words every single time but it’s been implied. A lot. I think it’s safe to say Frost has not met expectations, to say the least.

Our expectations were way too high and that's why teams still get overly excited when they beat us.  Frost is doing a terrible job, but we don't have enough rope to make any coaching changes for a long time so I hope he has the ability to adapt. 

29 minutes ago, lo country said:

Honest question on AM.  Is it possible he did so well last year relying on his natural athleticism and talent and year 2 we are seeing the results of Verduzco and his coaching?  Is he really the QB whisperer or did we believe it because Frost said it?  I never heard of the guy prior to Frost coming here.  Seems like of he was that hot, he'd be all over the place..... Odd that he has regressed so much.  

I also think that teams have figured out our O and D.  Per Bell's quote after the game they watched UCF film.....

Verduzco's resume:

Gavalian College

San Jose State

De Anza College

Rutgers

Northern Iowa 

Missouri State

UCF

Nebraska

Not exactly a who's who of schools.  

• Plus1 2
  • Thanks 1

I'm not ready to fire a coach.  I go back to how UCF looked with these same coaches.  We don't look anything like them.  Blockers watching defenders run past them to make an easy tackle, low effort everywhere (thank you announcer for confirming what I've seen).  Urb after the game said we've gone from Pelini, Rilely and now Frost and these problems have been present throughout.  I don't think the Husker defense under Banker was ranked as high as the Beavers. Same coach, different players.  As Urb said, time to look under the hood.  Something is going on in Lincoln.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1
1 minute ago, 4skers89 said:

I'm not ready to fire a coach.  I go back to how UCF looked with these same coaches.  We don't look anything like them.  Blockers watching defenders run past them to make an easy tackle, low effort everywhere (thank you announcer for confirming what I've seen).  Urb after the game said we've gone from Pelini, Rilely and now Frost and these problems have been present throughout.  I don't think the Husker defense under Banker was ranked as high as the Beavers. Same coach, different players.  As Urb said, time to look under the hood.  Something is going on in Lincoln.

Calisuck and Riley were crummy coaches and Pelini was average. Nothing more than that. Their record spells it out.

16 minutes ago, lo country said:

I think you are blinded by his undefeated UCF record.  His HC resume is currently 27-20....So the undefeated season looks like the outlier not the norm...

Exactly.  He is on pace to have 1 winning seasons out of 4 seasons as a Head Coach. It looks like the 2017 UCF team is the outlier.  

• Fire 1

I struggle watching this team right now and it saddens me that this is the NE football that I'm trying to sell to my kids, but I am a fan to the end. I still think Frost will and can turn it around but I am a realist and think it's a little premature to think he should have it fixed already. As much as I hate to say this, I think it's gonna take him at least another two years to fix this. If in the next two years we are not showing major improvement then I'll really be worried and join in with those that think he should be fired. Until then I guess I'll just keep bring frustrated along with everyone else. I'm not asking anyone to have to agree and I see the decline just like everyone else. I'm trying to show patience but man if it hard. 

On a side note... My Bearcats are still doing well. 

• Plus1 1

My concern is to the statements of, "Not everyone is buying in" "Change the culture" type sentiments.

To that I ask the question of when in the bloody Hell do those not cutting it or not buy in realize what they are doing isn't working? Like at what point as a player do you realize, "Oh yeah, I better start listening because I am getting owned on the field." 

For all the talk that weight lifting was an option under Riley, well I would imagine since January 2018 weight training has been mandatory and I don't want to brag, but I've been running 2 miles on average every other day since last Winter and I've lost 15 pounds and I am 32. So a 18-22 year old lifting daily since January 2018, I would imagine would start to see gains and therefore the excuse of whatever Riley didn't make mandatory is mute. 

Now the mindset of those players may be the same, because sometimes mindset cant be changed. But if you got players not buying in, not giving it there all and it is clearly affecting the team, (another 4-8 season) then why are they even playing? I'd play a walk on over a schollie player that isn't going all out. 

3 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

My concern is to the statements of, "Not everyone is buying in" "Change the culture" type sentiments.

To that I ask the question of when in the bloody Hell do those not cutting it or not buy in realize what they are doing isn't working? Like at what point as a player do you realize, "Oh yeah, I better start listening because I am getting owned on the field." 

For all the talk that weight lifting was an option under Riley, well I would imagine since January 2018 weight training has been mandatory and I don't want to brag, but I've been running 2 miles on average every other day since last Winter and I've lost 15 pounds and I am 32. So a 18-22 year old lifting daily since January 2018, I would imagine would start to see gains and therefore the excuse of whatever Riley didn't make mandatory is mute. 

Now the mindset of those players may be the same, because sometimes mindset cant be changed. But if you got players not buying in, not giving it there all and it is clearly affecting the team, (another 4-8 season) then why are they even playing? I'd play a walk on over a schollie player that isn't going all out. 

Maybe, just maybe it's the staff.  Not buying in to what they are doing isn't working.  Not buying into getting guys here is half the battle.  Not buying into the scheme that worked in the AAC might not work in the B1G.....Like Urbs said, look under the hood.....4 coaches since Solich and we are still wandering the desert.......

Go back to what made NU great.  And I am not talking peoples perception that the triple option was our base, but power football.  Sound fundamentals.  Great at the basics.  Watching for quite a while I never complained about beating ourselves, losing to inferior opponents, lacking in the basics of play that resemble football.  That's what made NU great.  Played whistle to whistle.  no quit.  Sound execution in all 3 phases for all 4 quarters.  Smash mouth, physical.....Nothing we have put on the field for about 15-18 years resembles NU football....