Year 2 Regression Under Frost

1 hour ago, Celsus said:

One year wonders for a central Florida level school are not new. Moos had no choice. Scott needed more seasons to mature though. He wasn't ready for this level and is learning on the job.

This level? UCF was a top 5 team that beat Auburn. The Big 10 West is one of the less intimidating divisions in P5 at the moment.

Scott has had Bill Walsh, Tom Osborne, Tony Dungy, Bill Belichick, Bill Parcells, Mike Tomlin, Jon Gruden and Chip Kelly as mentors, playing and coaching at the highest levels of college and pro football. 

"This level" is beating a 2 - 6 Purdue team racked with injuries, not to mention one of the worst defenses in the Big 10. 

It makes me look back longingly to 9 weeks ago, when we struggled but eventually beat the University of South Alabama, literally one of the worst teams in the NCAA. I was okay because I considered it a learning experience. 

Not much has been learned, it appears.

• Plus1 1

23 minutes ago, BoNeyard said:

My concern is to the statements of, "Not everyone is buying in" "Change the culture" type sentiments.

To that I ask the question of when in the bloody Hell do those not cutting it or not buy in realize what they are doing isn't working? Like at what point as a player do you realize, "Oh yeah, I better start listening because I am getting owned on the field." 

For all the talk that weight lifting was an option under Riley, well I would imagine since January 2018 weight training has been mandatory and I don't want to brag, but I've been running 2 miles on average every other day since last Winter and I've lost 15 pounds and I am 32. So a 18-22 year old lifting daily since January 2018, I would imagine would start to see gains and therefore the excuse of whatever Riley didn't make mandatory is mute. 

Now the mindset of those players may be the same, because sometimes mindset cant be changed. But if you got players not buying in, not giving it there all and it is clearly affecting the team, (another 4-8 season) then why are they even playing? I'd play a walk on over a schollie player that isn't going all out. 

Well said. What is more troubling is that there are fewer Riley guys on this 2019 team than there were on 2019.  When I hear players are buying in that feels like a cop out.  If they don't buy in, they don't play, period.  Only guys that are buying in and doing what is asked should be playing.

The issues with this team start with Frost. I truly believe he doesn't see himself as the leader of this program. When the season started he said Martinez is leader of the team and we'll  go as far as Martinez will take us. I cringed when I heard it because that's putting too much on a 19 year old kid. Then throughout the season he talks about the players as though he isn't the head coach; says he doesn't watch the defense while they are on the field; and babies some players at the exclusion of others (he's ok with anyone and everyone leaving, but is holding onto Washington for dear life)

Accountability should start and stop with him, and he needs to own it, or we will never get better.

• Fire 1
1 minute ago, SECHusker said:

The issues with this team start with Frost. I truly believe he doesn't see himself as the leader of this program. When the season started he said Martinez is leader of the team and we'll  go as far as Martinez will take us. I cringed when I heard it because that's putting too much on a 19 year old kid. Then throughout the season he talks about the players as though he isn't the head coach; says he doesn't watch the defense while they are on the field; and babies some players at the exclusion of others (he's ok anyone and everyone leaving, but is holding onto Washington for dear life)

Accountability should start and stop with him, and he needs to own it, or we will never get better.

I agree.  He talks about how he is ultimately accountable but some of his actions have suggested otherwise.  To keep this fan base on board he is going to need to instill changes this offseason that at least offer some element of hope, as I think most fans are feeling pretty hopeless at this point. 

• Fire 1

Honestly Frost is dealing with a lot of first's as a head coach. The bumps in the road are things Frost has never experienced as a head coach. Frost went 6-6 with a team with zero expectations, 13-0 with a team with little expectations. 4-8 with a team with zero expectations, now 4-5 with a team with some real expectations on the line. This is legit the first time he has failed as head coach. I always laugh at people that say - this will get figured out or this will never work - there is nothing we can point to with Frost that says either way. 

• Fire 2

I sit and watch these players stay the same or get worse every week. 

There is Robinson (our one great player) then everyone else being ok or bad. I guess it should be no surprise where Nebraska is based on the number of okay players on the team. We have no depth currently. I'm just holding onto a sliver of faith that these young guys who are redshirt freshman or freshman and sophomores will actually be better by year 4 of this coaching regime. God help us if they're not. 

Also, Martinez played an awful game. One of the worst games I've seen from him yet. Poor, poor decision making. Fix the f#$%ing problem. Don't just say you will. Do it. 

3 hours ago, Dbqgolfer said:

Because contrary to what Frost said would happen, the Big Ten has adjusted to Frost and his staff way faster than Frost and his staff have adjusted to the Big Ten.

I don’t think Frost or his Coordinators have adjusted at all to the Big 10.  Even the wins are generally weak.

• Plus1 2
4 hours ago, alexhortdog95 said:

Purdue player Bell - who just scored the game winner - said that they watched this same defense....all the way back to when they were at UCF.

Let that sink in for a minute.  

This coaching staff needs to break some glaring tendencies.

Bill Callahan 2.0

scared jurassic park GIF

I remember John Lynch, saying that to Chucky when the Clownahan led Raiders got stomped by the Bucs

31 minutes ago, FrantzHardySwag said:

Honestly Frost is dealing with a lot of first's as a head coach. The bumps in the road are things Frost has never experienced as a head coach. Frost went 6-6 with a team with zero expectations, 13-0 with a team with little expectations. 4-8 with a team with zero expectations, now 4-5 with a team with some real expectations on the line. This is legit the first time he has failed as head coach. I always laugh at people that say - this will get figured out or this will never work - there is nothing we can point to with Frost that says either way. 

Very good points. Frost always says he will work harder, but sometimes working harder does not guarantee success.  You sometimes have to work smarter and be open to doing things you never thought you would try.

7 minutes ago, HuskerNation1 said:

Very good points. Frost always says he will work harder, but sometimes working harder does not guarantee success.  You sometimes have to work smarter and be open to doing things you never thought you would try.

It's gonna be interesting. He's a hard worker and supremely confident - those types of guys seem like the last person to make a change in their process. If there is something broken on his staff, or in the way he does things - my assumption is he will stick with it, and try and will it into where it needs to be. 

Something that I find concerning when you compare Frost to other head coaches is the lack of communication he has with the team during the game. Now obviously tv doesn’t show everything but you never see him communicating with the o-line or the defense period. The quarterback often comes off the field and goes straight to the bench and puts on the head set. To me this just shows Frost unwillingness to change the game plan or the scheme mid game. And you also don’t see him talking with other coaches on the sidelines. If the coaching staff is as close of family as they want us all to think then there is nothing wrong with tearing into a coach for not having the player in the right places or sending in a crap play. Just my observation what do you guys thing. 

1 minute ago, jcsmhammel said:

Something that I find concerning when you compare Frost to other head coaches is the lack of communication he has with the team during the game. Now obviously tv doesn’t show everything but you never see him communicating with the o-line or the defense period. The quarterback often comes off the field and goes straight to the bench and puts on the head set. To me this just shows Frost unwillingness to change the game plan or the scheme mid game. And you also don’t see him talking with other coaches on the sidelines. If the coaching staff is as close of family as they want us all to think then there is nothing wrong with tearing into a coach for not having the player in the right places or sending in a crap play. Just my observation what do you guys thing. 

I might be wrong, but seem to recall him saying that he let's Chin coach the D and "doesn't get involved".  It appears that Frost needs to be more of a CEO.  Be involved in all facets of the game, have input and make sure your guys carry out your plan.  This doesn't mean micro managing, but it does mean being involved in all aspects.  Bo, IMHO, was a great DC, but poor HC.  Some guys are better when focused on few details and others are better at the "big picture". Unsure how "running" NU compares to "running" UCF, but Frost might be better served to be in all facets and as mentioned earlier, look at hiring 2 switched on coordinators...