Year 2 Regression Under Frost

Where does Frost go from here?  Does he stay right here and get the boat moving in the right direction?  Does he stay here and ultimately is fired?  Since TO retired, this job has been somewhat of a job killer.  Solich got a gig at lowly Ohio, Clownahan has bounced here and there in the pro ranks, and Bo wound up in D2.  I'm all in on Frost, but I've got to say this isn't how I saw things playing out at all.

13 hours ago, Hayseed said:

There's a lot of truth to the Jimmies and Joes theory of Barry Switzer. Ozigbo took a lot of pressure off of the other offensive players. Some players just make the coach look good no matter what is called.

Ozigbo entered last season as Frost's fourth string running back.

So nobody considered Ozigbo a Jimmy or Joe until Ozigbo himself stepped up, lost 30 pounds and worked his a$$ off, had two players above him leave the team, and forced the coaching staff to adjust to his abilities. 

Wan'dale Robinson may be even more versatile and game-breaking than Ozigbo, but now they're putting too much pressure on him to carry the traditional running game.

Dedrick Mills was a bowl game MVP before he arrived here. 

Other running backs buried in the depth chart could be the next Ozibgo, but they haven't had the chance to carry the ball.

• Plus1 3
8 minutes ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

Ozigbo entered last season as Frost's fourth string running back.

So nobody considered Ozigbo a Jimmy or Joe until Ozigbo himself stepped up, lost 30 pounds and worked his a$$ off, had two players above him leave the team, and forced the coaching staff to adjust to his abilities. 

Wan'dale Robinson may be even more versatile and game-breaking than Ozigbo, but now they're putting too much pressure on him to carry the traditional running game.

Dedrick Mills was a bowl game MVP before he arrived here. 

Other running backs buried in the depth chart could be the next Ozibgo, but they haven't had the chance to carry the ball.

I see your point, but my point was that good players make other players and coaches look good...no matter how they got there or what a bunch of goofballs thought about their ability. There's another thread where I comment on the ability of the RB coach.

1 minute ago, Hayseed said:

I see your point, but my point was that good players make other players and coaches look good...no matter how they got there or what a bunch of goofballs thought about their ability. There's another thread where I comment on the ability of the RB coach.

I think the point is that you need 11 guys on every play doing  a pretty good job more than one guy doing an incredible job.

Ideally you have both. 

Likewise you can have a team stacked with Jimmies and Joes, but if it's also loaded with primadonnas, fragile egos, little unity, and lazy schemes, they can get beat by average talent, motivation and strategy. Happens every Saturday and Sunday. 

We have some guys who are starters -- or at least seeing significant playing time -- who have no business being on the field. Even the commentators were mentioning certain guys yesterday. 

What's even more disheartening was hearing Frost say that the defense played well enough to win yesterday. I couldn't believe what I was hearing; it was a clear attempt to deflect blame from Chinander. This tells me that Frost is going to let his loyalty to his friends come before what's best for the program.

• Plus1 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
10 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

We have some guys who are starters -- or at least seeing significant playing time -- who have no business being on the field. Even the commentators were mentioning certain guys yesterday. 

What's even more disheartening was hearing Frost say that the defense played well enough to win yesterday. I couldn't believe what I was hearing; it was a clear attempt to deflect blame from Chinander. This tells me that Frost is going to let his loyalty to his friends come before what's best for the program.

I didn't like this either. What happened to having them play like blackshirts? Now the goal is just to have them play well enough not to lose.

The defense did do enough for 3 quarters in that game for us to cruise to a victory.  Our offense couldn't do a thing right for at least a quarter and a half.  This game should have been over at the half.  At 28-0 nothing.

Should have our defense stepped up when needed, yes.  Should have they at least been able to make one stop when it counted, sure.  My issue is this offense should be able and capable of scoring 30- 40 points a game.  We were up 10-0, and stalled out on several chances to get things done.  Didn't happen.  Defense is not built to shut out teams.  Not many are in the nation.  

Its time to be realistic about what the game is today.  Most teams are going to score some points in every game.  Most defenses are built for bend but don't break method.  The defense played well enough for the offense to build a big lead.

Not defending Chin or Frost.  I believe this was a complete team losing matter.  I think the offense with Amart is flat.  I think Spencer Tilllman was 100% correct in his assessment of him, and the fact he doesn't give it 100% all of the time.  

You can't pin point one area that is any better or any worse than the other.  We were suppose to have an offense that could score at will againsts any Big 10 team, and make them play our game, not us playing there way...........remember that from Frost in his hiring spoo.  

Well its year two, I don't see any Big 10 team thats scared of Nebraska and its offense.  The whole thing is out of whack.

• Plus1 1
  • Fire 1

16 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

The defense did do enough for 3 quarters in that game for us to cruise to a victory.  Our offense couldn't do a thing right for at least a quarter and a half.  This game should have been over at the half.  At 28-0 nothing.

Should have our defense stepped up when needed, yes.  Should have they at least been able to make one stop when it counted, sure.  My issue is this offense should be able and capable of scoring 30- 40 points a game.  We were up 10-0, and stalled out on several chances to get things done.  Didn't happen.  Defense is not built to shut out teams.  Not many are in the nation.  

True - but in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line, against a 3rd-string former walk-on QB, they should be able to get a stop. Instead, they made him look like Drew Brees.

• Plus1 2
2 minutes ago, The Scarlet Pimpernel said:

True - but in the 4th quarter, with the game on the line, against a 3rd-string former walk-on QB, they should be able to get a stop. Instead, they made him look like Drew Brees.

Yep and that’s why I feel like you strive to be the best D you can be. Not just out there to try to get takeaways for the offense. Cause when your offense isn’t getting it done you can’t lean on your defense to carry the team. Cause they are not designed to win games- they are trying to get turnovers 

• Plus1 1
10 minutes ago, Nebhawk said:

Its time to be realistic about what the game is today.  Most teams are going to score some points in every game.  Most defenses are built for bend but don't break method.  The defense played well enough for the offense to build a big lead.

Not defending Chin or Frost.  I believe this was a complete team losing matter.  I think the offense with Amart is flat.  I think Spencer Tilllman was 100% correct in his assessment of him, and the fact he doesn't give it 100% all of the time.  

You can't pin point one area that is any better or any worse than the other.  We were suppose to have an offense that could score at will againsts any Big 10 team, and make them play our game, not us playing there way...........remember that from Frost in his hiring spoo.  

Well its year two, I don't see any Big 10 team thats scared of Nebraska and its offense.  The whole thing is out of whack.

Bend don’t break? Tell that to Bama, Ohio state, LSU, Georgia, Florida, Michigan, Wisconsin, penn state, Iowa, on and on. There are a lot of gritty hard nosed teams out there playing solid D. Not allowing 35 a game. 

There are currently 21 teams allowing less than 20 points per game. 

I also agree that Verduzco has Martinez doing too much thinking. Going through his progressions, his check-downs, etc. before making a decision. Last year it was more of Martinez relying on his athleticism and his own natural instincts. This year it's like he's going through all the steps of a process before he is actually able to do anything, because that's what he's being coached to do. Because of that, it makes him appear to be tentative and by the time he decides what he wants to do, the play has often broken down and is no longer effective. A few times yesterday I heard the commentators mention that "had he thrown it a second or two earlier..." Yeah, that's because he was too busy going through all of his progressions. 

3 hours ago, Guy Chamberlin said:

We started the year with a Heisman contention quarterback and a top 25 ranking, based on the combination of talent and coaching, and the culture change that supposedly clicked in last years strong finish, plus new frost recruits and proven transfers coming in.

im still looking for someone who recognized how bare the cupboard was 10 weeks ago and warned us to not even expect bowl worthiness. 

That person will we be found right along side all the people who thought 2005 Nebraska would beat Chad Henne and Michigan.